Discussion At Work

This is a discussion on Discussion At Work within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I can't think of a more private area than a bathroom....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Discussion At Work

I can't think of a more private area than a bathroom.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Yes, this is a big deal. In fact, in many states this act would be considered brandishing a firearm.

There are many sheep out there who hold positions of authority. This could have a negative outcome on this guys employment, or opportunities for upward mobility.

There are a lot of other places where he could have let his friend see his new gun.
    Per Merriam-Webster:
    BRANDISH
    1 : to shake or wave (as a weapon) menacingly
    2 : to exhibit in an ostentatious or aggressive manner

Brandishing is an act of intent, showing someone your new gun is hardly brandishing and I can't see where any law was broken here. Not even the most enthusiastic DA could make a case out of this unless the OP decides he was threatened and goes to the cops about it.

You know, this is the kind of "panties in a wad" response I'm talking about when gun folks get worked up because someone showed somebody else their piece. OOOooooohhh, he showed him his gun. So what? They're consenting adults. The OP knew the guy had the gun and a permit and this was only between the two of them before he posted it on the interweb for all to see. The only way this could have a negative impact on anything is if one of the two of them make some stink about it and I can't imagine that either of them intend to do that. If they act like a couple of regular guys and leave it where it's at then this is where it ends.

Also, if the OP didn't want to see it right then in the john, he could have said no or offered to check it out later.

Lastly, I want to work at CraigStill's customer's place. Sounds like a great place to be.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    Per Merriam-Webster:
    BRANDISH
    1 : to shake or wave (as a weapon) menacingly
    2 : to exhibit in an ostentatious or aggressive manner

Brandishing is an act of intent, showing someone your new gun is hardly brandishing and I can't see where any law was broken here. Not even the most enthusiastic DA could make a case out of this unless the OP decides he was threatened and goes to the cops about it.

You know, this is the kind of "panties in a wad" response I'm talking about when gun folks get worked up because someone showed somebody else their piece. OOOooooohhh, he showed him his gun. So what? They're consenting adults. The OP knew the guy had the gun and a permit and this was only between the two of them before he posted it on the interweb for all to see. The only way this could have a negative impact on anything is if one of the two of them make some stink about it and I can't imagine that either of them intend to do that. If they act like a couple of regular guys and leave it where it's at then this is where it ends.

Also, if the OP didn't want to see it right then in the john, he could have said no or offered to check it out later.

Lastly, I want to work at CraigStill's customer's place. Sounds like a great place to be.

x1000 man I agree.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Dawg View Post
    It is amazing how forthcoming some people are.
    Chris
    I'd just call that immature!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Exibiting a weapon (gun)

Florida: 790.10: (Paraphrasing, I type slow)
    "if any person having or carrying....a firearm or other weapon, in the presence of one or more persons.....exibit in a rude, careless, angry, or threatening manor....the person so offending shall be guilty of a first degree misdemaenor, punsihible as provided in 775.082 or 775.083"
    That said, lets say, for the purposes of illustration, that your buddy shows you his gun in the restroom. However, someone else is there and sees it, but he is an anti gun person. He calls the cops and reports that he was "treatened" by y'all. What happens next "ain't gonna be pretty".
    Also, the 3rd person may report it to the company management, who will prombly post signs and notify all employees about the new rule Re:CWP on premisis. In Florida, ANY business has the right to post signs restricting CC. If you refuse to leave while armed, thats armed trespass, felony.

Be very, very careful to whom you tell you are carrying, or have a CWP. Never, ever take it out unless you need it, right now, for self defense, and are going to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I'd just call that immature!
    Exactly... and he is very immature!

Like I said in my OP my company has no firearm policy and I would like it to stay that way. The idea of someone waking into a situation where there was a gun being displayed (for any reason) would be bad and most likely result in a rule change. Not to mention in my work environment inappropriate.

If it makes you uncomfortable, I have a couple of questions you should think about...(not trying to be a jerk here).
    1. How did he know you might want to see his GUN AT WORK?
    2. I hope you had a nice talk with him about tact. I can understand him getting a new gun and wanting to show it off, but as the Bible says, there is a time and season for all things, and work is not it. A surefire way to get your unwritten rule written.
    3. I don't know about Florida, but NC is a hire-at-will state, meaning they can fire you for any reason, even if it isn't a written rule. They can say, "I don't like you, you're fired." and be perfectly legal. Good way to lose a job.

BE CAREFUL

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaDuba View Post
    If it makes you uncomfortable, I have a couple of questions you should think about...(not trying to be a jerk here).
    1. How did he know you might want to see his GUN AT WORK?
    2. I hope you had a nice talk with him about tact. I can understand him getting a new gun and wanting to show it off, but as the Bible says, there is a time and season for all things, and work is not it. A surefire way to get your unwritten rule written.
    3. I don't know about Florida, but NC is a hire-at-will state, meaning they can fire you for any reason, even if it isn't a written rule. They can say, "I don't like you, you're fired." and be perfectly legal. Good way to lose a job.

BE CAREFUL
    1. Like I said we talk about guns almost weekly for the past few months, but his reaction was unprovoked.
    2. No, I left shaken. If we talk again I will bring it up.
    3. Same deal in FL, in fact all over the south I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Adkjoe View Post
    HEY NOW! We may have gay marriage but we have the least restrictive gun laws in the country too!
    You got me!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Dawg View Post
    1. Like I said we talk about guns almost weekly for the past few months, but his reaction was unprovoked.
    You are apparently a gun enthusiast and talk guns with this guy on a regular basis for months, but an offer to show you his new carry piece is "unprovoked"? Maybe he assumed you'd be interested in seeing it since, um, you guys talk about guns all the time.

2. No, I left shaken. If we talk again I will bring it up.
    What were you "shaken" about, never seen gun before? You could have always said no, no one forced you into the bathroom, did they?

3. Same deal in FL, in fact all over the south I think.
    This has nothing to do with the situation, does it? It was just the two of you, unless one of you is in a position to fire the other, this is just trivia.

Here's my advice: Lighten up, Francis. Or else start entering into gun discussions with the understanding that you like to talk about them but would rather not see any.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey jhh3rd: Could not help but smile when I read your post about show and tell in the bathroom and the state of Vermont. For some reason my first thought was the state of Idaho and the bathroom in Minneapolis and that pius hypocrite Senator Craig. Sorry posters to be degrading an important subject.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    While I don't see anything "wrong" in legal terms, it wasn't very smart. There's a time and a place to show off a new firearm, and at work, regardless of company policy (or lack of) is not the place. I feel the guy was wanting his ego stroked.

Treo, I agree with you (imagine that!). A good friend would have know better than to out the fact you're carrying. I hope you explained to him that was a dumb thing to say in the presense of others.

I have some gun friends at work and we show each other our toys (bonus Craig homage there...) all the time. If you talked about guns for a long time, I would understand his assuming you would think it was cool to see his latest. The bathroom at work was not bright though, since if it's communal a third party might walk in and freak out, and if it's a single lock, they might think you were Minnesota senators! Parking lot during lunch would have been much more appropriate.
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links