Discussion At Work

This is a discussion on Discussion At Work within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A coworker and I were having a discussion abut guns (which we do about once a week). The conversation proceeded into his newest pistol purchase. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discussion At Work

Discussion At Work

A coworker and I were having a discussion abut guns (which we do about once a week). The conversation proceeded into his newest pistol purchase. It was a .380 and I don't remember the make (not common) because of what follows, I was rattled. He says "Let me show you,(and) lets go into the bathroom".

Now my work does not have a clearly defined firearm policy and in my mind I want to keep it that way. I say something like that I have seen them on the internet and "no way!" He calls it his little Glock.

It any rate concealed should be concealed and there is now way I am reveling my concealed gun (if I had one). It is amazing how forthcoming some people are.

He wants to go to the range with me when my M1 gets in about 60 days.

Chris

2. Remove Ads

It's not like he whipped it out in the office.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

It's not like he whipped it out in the office.
    You shouldn't be "whipping out" your cc period (unless you need to shoot.) CC weapons are not for display

I made the mistake of letting a close friend know that I had a CHP. I got reminded of why you shouldn't when I was talking to another friend in church and the first guy out of the blue said "Treo's packing a gun right now."

I don't discuss guns at work and I do not touch my carry piece unless absolutely necessary.

I've developed conversations with fellow CC'ers which eventually led to sharing the looks and operations of weapons, in a private setting, of course.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A Kansas issue, might apply other areas

Open carry is legal under state law and restricted in many cities. CCH provides preemption for concealed carry.
    In the rural cities, open carry usually doesn't raise alarms. But even were legal, open carry can result in a 911 call and all that entails.
    Even when legal the police will respond and then they will tell the person who was alarmed that it is legal, "Nothing we can do."

That is the issue right now, there is a resolution on the November 2010 ballot to amend the Kansas Bill of Rights to specifically protect the right of the individual to keep and bear arms.

Until that very important vote takes place, open carry should be carefully considered as to how it might effect the sheep when they go vote in November. They might want to pass a law to restrict open carry and might vote against the right.

How does this post relate to open carry?

But I do agree with you. A concealed weapon should never be whipped out in public, especially at work. An employer who doesn't already have a policy against firearms, will only make one if they know employees are carrying guns to work.
    Logan - NRA Member

Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP

Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    You shouldn't be "whipping out" your cc period (unless you need to shoot.) CC weapons are not for display

I made the mistake of letting a close friend know that I had a CHP. I got reminded of why you shouldn't when I was talking to another friend in church and the first guy out of the blue said "Treo's packing a gun right now."

I don't discuss guns at work and I do not touch my carry piece unless absolutely necessary.
    +1 I agree.

Never play show and tell in the bathroom with another adult. Go to Vermont and do it legally.

Carrying at work and "whipping it out" at work are two entirely different things. A company who doesn't have a clearly defined weapons policy and gives tacit approval to concealed carry may quickly make a policy if employees start brandishing their weapons (even in the can).

Others who have posted are right: concealed means concealed. It's a defensive weapon, not a pic of the new grandkid. The CWP holder can be fined, go to jail, and/or have his permit revoked (depending on the state) for such actions. Stay away from people who have a propensity for drawing and displaying their CONCEALED weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Dawg View Post
    He says "Let me show you,(and) lets go into the bathroom".
    At work? Whipping out a loaded firearm for show-and-tell? Hm. Unless you both are working for a firearms or related manufacturer and have an active range on-site, heading to a place where folks won't see seems an awfully quick route to a pink slip. At minimum, a company that doesn't have a policy would likely soon consider having an iron-clad one, the moment the "bathroom show-and-tell" was witnessed by someone walking in unannounced or, God forbid, a round was negligently sent through the wall into the next room.

I'd much prefer to keep a defensive sidearm for defensive purposes, to be taken out at a range or other similarly well-protected area at which bystanders aren't put at any risk. Can't recall the last restroom where I saw a 30gal bucket of sand to guard against undesired firing of a round. But then, I don't get out much.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

He's carrying for all the wrong reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by jhh3rd View Post
    Never play show and tell in the bathroom with another adult. Go to Vermont and do it legally.
    HEY NOW! We may have gay marriage but we have the least restrictive gun laws in the country too!
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

I don't see the big deal, the guy didn't pull it out in the lunchroom for all to see and it's clear that the OP was aware of his coworker's CCW permit status so there were no secrets being exposed. I honestly don't understand why some "gun people" get all shook up about another gun guy showing them his carry piece. So what. It's not like you didn't know it was there. It's the same as those who flip out when somebody takes a gun out in a gun shop to show the shop keeper or gunsmith. Heck, if it was me I'd have been plenty interested in seeing what it was.

I went to see my doctor a couple of days ago, we're good friends away from the "office", he has his permit and he knows I carry all the time. Anyway, after our business was done we were talking guns and I told him about my BUG and the work I had done on it and I took it out of it's ankle holster, emptied it and let him take a look at it. When he was done checking it out I dropped the moonclip back in and holstered it. We were in the privacy of an exam room - no big deal, no harm, no foul.

Maybe it would have been better for some of you if he'd offered to show him out in the parking lot at lunch or after work instead of the bathroom.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Interesting topic!

One of my customers has anywhere between 20 and 50 employees depending on work load. Damn near everyone in the facility is armed. Rarely is anything said unless someone gets a new gun. It is not uncommon to have three or four people involved in a gun discussion. If a gun comes out, it gets unloaded, checked and checked again. Then it gets passed around. Some are into Hunting some personal protection and someare just collecting.

Everyone knows their co-worker has a 99.9% chance of having a weapon on them at any time. Yet, nothing is said. Or, even thought about for that matter. It is simply part of the environment, accepted and everyone works togather as if it's an ordinary thing.

I like working there and around these people.

Carring a gun is as common as carring a unbrella on a rainy day. It is a given and, in most cases, expected.

Makes for a fantastic work environment.

Merry Christmas!

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post

Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    I don't see the big deal, the guy didn't pull it out in the lunchroom for all to see and it's clear that the OP was aware of his coworker's CCW permit status so there were no secrets being exposed. I honestly don't understand why some "gun people" get all shook up about another gun guy showing them his carry piece. So what. It's not like you didn't know it was there. It's the same as those who flip out when somebody takes a gun out in a gun shop to show the shop keeper or gunsmith. Heck, if it was me I'd have been plenty interested in seeing what it was.

I went to see my doctor a couple of days ago, we're good friends away from the "office", he has his permit and he knows I carry all the time. Anyway, after our business was done we were talking guns and I told him about my BUG and the work I had done on it and I took it out of it's ankle holster, emptied it and let him take a look at it. When he was done checking it out I dropped the moonclip back in and holstered it. We were in the privacy of an exam room - no big deal, no harm, no foul.

Maybe it would have been better for some of you if he'd offered to show him out in the parking lot at lunch or after work instead of the bathroom.
    Yes, this is a big deal. In fact, in many states this act would be considered brandishing a firearm.

There are many sheep out there who hold positions of authority. This could have a negative outcome on this guys employment, or opportunities for upward mobility.

There are a lot of other places where he could have let his friend see his new gun.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links