Colorado State University considering ban on CC

This is a discussion on Colorado State University considering ban on CC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife just gave me the heads up on this. I googled it and got several leads. CSU Colorado, CCW CSU officials weigh a gun ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colorado State University considering ban on CC

Colorado State University considering ban on CC

My wife just gave me the heads up on this. I googled it and got several leads. CSU Colorado, CCW

CSU officials weigh a gun ban; student leaders disagree - The Denver Post

CSU officials weigh a gun ban; student leaders disagree
    By Monte Whaley
    The Denver Post
    Posted: 12/02/2009 01:00:00 AM MST
    Updated: 12/02/2009 05:54:10 AM MST

Public-safety experts at Colorado State University and the school president's cabinet all agree the campus needs a concealed-weapons ban.

CSU student leaders, however, say packing heat keeps everyone safer. They may move tonight to try to keep the university one of the few in the country where concealed weapons are allowed.

"I think really it's an issue of if it's not broken, why fix it," said Matt Strauch, spokesman for the Associated Students of CSU.

The ASCSU student senate tonight is likely to pass a resolution that asks CSU president Tony Frank to keep current policy, which adheres to the state's concealed-weapons law. It allows someone with a concealed-weapons permit to carry a handgun almost anywhere on campus.

Only in residence halls are weapons forbidden.

Frank will weigh the ASCSU vote in deciding whether to form a different weapons law for the university, said CSU spokesman Brad Bohlander.

Currently, 23 states allow public campuses or state systems to decide their own weapons policies, with nearly all choosing to be "gun-free," according to the American Association of State Colleges and Universities.

CSU is one of the rare exceptions, deciding in 2003 to follow the state's concealed-weapons law. The ASCSU points out that concealed weapons have been allowed at Blue Ridge Community College in Virginia since 1995 and at Michigan State University since June.

No bans in Utah

Utah is the only state that prohibits its state institutions from barring guns on campus, the American Association of State Colleges and Universities said.

Recent events such as the mass shooting at Virginia Tech in 2007 prompted CSU's faculty senate last year to ask that CSU's concealed-weapons law be clarified, Bohlander said.

Both CSU's public safety team which includes the campus police chief and the president's Cabinet agreed in October that an almost total ban on weapons was prudent, Bohlander said. Exceptions would include security details for high-level visitors to the campus.

But students have overwhelmingly come out against concealed-weapons restrictions, Strauch said.

"I'm having a difficult time finding people really against keeping it as it is," he said.

The proposed student resolution still being drafted Tuesday said every shooting on a college or university campus in American has occurred on a campus that had banned students from legally carrying concealed weapons.

Left "defenseless"

"A ban on students legally carrying concealed weapons leaves students defenseless in these situations," the resolution says, as well as leaving them vulnerable to rape, robbery and assault.

Physics professor Richard Eykholt chair of the CSU faculty council doesn't buy into the students' arguments.

"If you have a classroom situation where somebody starts shooting and other people are shooting back, there is a real opportunity there for more bystanders to be injured," said Eykholt, who spoke as an individual.

He added that perpetrators in school shootings seemed bent on killing themselves and others.

"I don't think they'd be deterred by threats of anyone having a gun," Eykholt said.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

Haven't school bans on guns completely kept guns off campus? Not. Just allows psycos to bring a gun on campus and leave students helpless.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

"If you have a classroom situation where somebody starts shooting and other people are shooting back, there is a real opportunity there for more bystanders to be injured," said Eykholt, who spoke as an individual.

He added that perpetrators in school shootings seemed bent on killing themselves and others.

"I don't think they'd be deterred by threats of anyone having a gun," Eykholt said.
    One would expect a bit more logic from a Physics Professor.
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Physics prof...really?

Physics professor Richard Eykholt chair of the CSU faculty council doesn't buy into the students' arguments.

Im with you Sticks....you would think this guy would at least understand correlation. Sure would like to know what he is basing this statement on.
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    - No kidding. I doubt it would result in more than VT (30+ dead, 20+ injured).

Lack of street smarts and/or any time spent in the real world. I'd even hesitate to guess 2D thinking. Too much time spent staring at a bunch of lines and squiggles on a chalkboard.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I heard about this last night in an email from a Colorado State Senator. He stated he's got his circle in the Senate writing and calling to offer more representation of our side. Pressure from Alumni will do more than pressure from the public. Sticks - I've got some email addresses for you (good guys in CO State Senate).
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    He is right. The chance of a bystander getting shot would go up. Without guns in school only victims would get shot. Not by standers. The chance of the looney getting shot would surely go up. Now you know why he is a professor rather than a scientist.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

That really is one of the oddest things I've heard a professor say, and that's really saying something. If some lone whackjob started shooting up his classroom, I can honestly picture him saying "Okay, everyone stand still! He's going to kill himself any minute now....any minute...we only need victims getting hit, not more bystanders....annnnny minute now...."

They may or may not be deterred. However, if they're NOT deterred, the point of legal guns in the classroom is to STOP the shooter so he doesn't shoot any MORE bystanders. I honestly don't know why some of these people refuse to see their illogical arguments. And that's exactly what it is...willful ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by Holger View Post
    willful ignorance.
    It won't EVER happen to them! Not in their county/university/fantasy world.
    Proud NRA & MCRGO Member

"The handgun would not be my choice of weapon if I knew I was going to a fight....I'd choose a rifle, a shotgun, an RPG or an atomic bomb instead."

He may as well said that no criminals one would be deturred by police on campus with weapons.......and he would be right at least........
    Lets see...... definition of bystander: Person without weapon to defend them selves......
    Sarcasm - Just one of the many services I provide!
    Ever wonder why massacres never happen at a gun range??
    You might find me dead in a ditch one day, but I'll be in a pile of brass. - Stolen from Zebra64

CSU is forgetting one small thing, THEY DON"T GET TO PASS LEGISLATION. The Larimer County Sheriff already told them they would be breaking state law to ban CCW on campus without placing a metal detector at every enterance to every building. CSU is a public college so the following applies:

(4) A permit issued pursuant to this part does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun into a
    public building at which:
    (a) Security personnel and electronic weapons screening devices are permanently in place at each
    entrance to the building;
    (b) Security personnel electronically screen each person who enters the building to determine whether
    the person is carrying a weapon of any kind; and
    (c) Security personnel require each person who is carrying a weapon of any kind to leave the weapon
    in possession of security personnel while the person is in the building.
    (5) Nothing in this part shall be construed to limit, restrict, or prohibit in any manner the existing rights of a
    private property owner, private tenant, private employer, or private business entity.
    (6) The provisions of this section apply to temporary emergency permits issued pursuant to section 18-12-

This also applies:

18-12-105.5 Unlawfully Carrying A Concealed Weapon - Unlawful Possession Of Weapons - School,
    College, Or University Grounds
    1. A person commits a class 2 misdemeanor if such person knowingly and unlawfully and without legal
    authority carries, brings, or has in such person’s possession a deadly weapon as defined in section 18-1-
    901(3)(e) in or on the real estate and all improvements erected thereon of any public or private elementary,
    middle, junior high, or high school or any public or private college, university, or seminary, except for the
    purpose of presenting an authorized public demonstration or exhibition pursuant to instruction in conjunction
    with an organized school or class, for the purpose of carrying out the necessary duties and functions of an
    employee of an educational institution which require the use of a deadly weapon, or for the purpose of
    participation in an authorized extracurricular activity or on an athletic team.
    2. Notwithstanding the provisions of section 18-1-106, upon a conviction for a violation of this section either
    within or upon the grounds of any public or private elementary, middle, junior high, or high school or
    vocational school, the defendant shall be a special offender and the court, if it determines that incarceration is
    appropriate, shall be required to sentence the defendant to a term that is greater than the twelve-month
    maximum sentence specified for the class 2 misdemeanor but not more than twice the twelve-month maximum
    term specified for the class 2 misdemeanor. In addition to such term of imprisonment, the court shall fine the
    defendant without suspension at least the maximum fine of one thousand dollars specified for the class 2
    misdemeanor but not more than ten times the one thousand dollar maximum fine specified for the class 2
    misdemeanor.
    3. It shall not be an offense under this section if.
    a) The weapon is unloaded and remains inside a motor vehicle while upon the real estate of any public or
    private college, university, or seminary; or
    b) The person is in that person’s own dwelling or place of business or on property owned or under that
    person’s control at the time of the act of carrying; or
    c) The person is in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance and is carrying a weapon for
    lawful protection of that person’s or another’s person or property while traveling; or
    d) The person, at the time to carrying a concealed weapon, held a valid written permit to carry a concealed
    weapon issued pursuant to section 18-12-105.1 as said section existed prior to its repeal; except that it shall be
    an offense under this section if the person was carrying a concealed handgun in violation of the provisions of
    Section 18-12-214 (3); or
    (d.5) The weapon involved was a handgun and the person held a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun or a
    temporary emergency permit issued pursuant to Part 2 of this article; except that it shall be an offense under this
    section if the person was carrying a concealed handgun in violation of the provisions of Section 18-12-214 (3);
    or
    e) The person is a peace officer, level I or level Ia, as defined in section 18-1-901(3)(1)(I) or (3)(1)(II)(A);

www.9news.com

there is a poll up on 9news.com. on the lower left hand side of the page. let's hit that poll and really show our support.

"If students have a concealed weapons permit, should they be allowed to carry guns on college campuses?"

currently it's 281 yes, 180 no, 3 no opinion
    "I no longer list firearms I own as a signature. Why give them another list to use when they come to get them?"

VIP Member
    Those who can, do...Those who can't, teach...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I got my BS from CSU. Thanks for the heads up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links