Defensive Carry banner

How do you maintian CC when moving to another state?

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  mcp1810 
#1 ·
After conversing with another member here who recently moved got me thinking.

He had to surrender his CO permit, and then go through the routine for the state he just moved to. This makes for a long wait to regain his CC status. And this is in a state that has reciprocity with CO.

Has there been any chatter about residency changes that will allow a current CC carrier to maintain their status during the change? A temporary issuance while you take the new states classes or meet their unique qualifications and background check?

Is this something that needs to be done on the same level that reciprocity agreements are made?

#2 ·
Not that I'm aware of and trust me, having moved "X" number of times over the last 5 years, I've read a lot into it.

It varies from state to state, residency requirements, what the state considers to make you a resident, etc.

When we moved to VA from PA in Sep of '07, we staggered our times of getting VA Drivers Licenses, and at the same time were still maintaining our apartment in PA. When I got my VA DL, Lima maintained her PA DL and was able to carry while I was awaiting my VA Permit, in VA I could at least open carry if I chose to. After my permit came in, Lima changed her info over. You had "X" days to change your DL info and "become a resident" and we were able to get our new permits in that time frame or close to it.

Here in IA, we're hosed. I'll probably be getting my permit here in the next couple of months finally, for whatever good it may do me, but that's topic for another thread.

#4 ·
I moved from Maryland (no carry at all) to Texas. Before moving here I had obtained a non resident Florida license. All I had to do for Florida was a change of address. Also, since I already had a valid license I did not have to wait to get my Texas CHL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.