South Carolina Gun Show Carry

This is a discussion on South Carolina Gun Show Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do any of you SC folks know if you can carry at the gun show in December at the State Fair grounds ? Someone told ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: South Carolina Gun Show Carry

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar

South Carolina Gun Show Carry

Do any of you SC folks know if you can carry at the gun show in December at the State Fair grounds ? Someone told me you couldn't carry in a loaded gun.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

2. Remove Ads

From the Land Of the Sky website:

No loaded firearms, including personal firearms, are allowed in any Land of the Sky Gun Show, except those carried by certified Law Enforcement officers who must present proper identification.

Concealed carry permits are not valid at any Land of the Sky Gun Show.

For your safety, please ensure all firearms and magazines are empty before entering the show.

If you bring a loaded firearm, magazine or loose ammo into the show, you will be refused entry and may be subject to prosecution.

Plastic cable ties are mandatory on all cartridge weapons, making them unserviceable until the tie is removed.
    Samwolf

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Seems clear enough...

Many do not like the thought of leaving a gun show without protection for some parking lot problems since ther is a good chance you have cash or recent purchase.

In Myrtle Beach you get a tie through the barrel and you leave your magazine till you leave.

Many do not like the thought of leaving a gun show without protection for some parking lot problems since ther is a good chance you have cash or recent purchase.
    Put a loaded magazine or cylinder's worth of bullets in your pocket. When you exit the show, clip the tie with a knife or other sharp object and reload. I'd suggest doing this discretely.

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey keltyke: Just went to the gun show at the fair grounds last weekend of Nov. You cannot bring a loaded firearm or loose ammo into the gun show. It is not as if anyone checked me for ammo but you are better off not tempting fate. I presented my unloaded revolver (brought it because I was looking for a holster) and went to the uniformed officer check in line where I received the plastic tie thru the gun. If you are talking about other events at the fair grounds like the big Coastal Carolina Fair that was held several weeks before I cannot be certain about CC---you will find out at the entrance though. Make no mistakes---they really really really do not like you to disobey when it comes to firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    Put a loaded magazine or cylinder's worth of bullets in your pocket. When you exit the show, clip the tie with a knife or other sharp object and reload. I'd suggest doing this discretely.
    Seen that done many a time.

What's ironic is the the signage they put up for the show isn't the legal signage. SC has very specific guidelines for a "NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED" sign.

SECTION 23-31-235. Sign requirements.

(A) Notwithstanding any other provision of this article, any requirement of or allowance for the posting of signs prohibiting the carrying of a concealable weapon upon any premises shall only be satisfied by a sign expressing the prohibition in both written language interdict and universal sign language.

(B) All signs must be posted at each entrance into a building where a concealable weapon permit holder is prohibited from carrying a concealable weapon and must be:

(1) clearly visible from outside the building;

(2) eight inches wide by twelve inches tall in size;

(3) contain the words “NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED” in black one inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;

(4) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle seven inches in diameter with a diagonal line that runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty five degree angle from the horizontal;

(5) a diameter of a circle; and

(6) placed not less than forty inches and not more than sixty inches from the bottom of the building’s entrance door.

(C) If the premises where concealable weapons are prohibited does not have doors, then the signs contained in subsection (A) must be:

(1) thirty six inches wide by forty eight inches tall in size;

(2) contain the words “NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED” in black three inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;

(3) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle thirty four inches in diameter with a diagonal line that is two inches wide and runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty five degree angle from the horizontal and must be a diameter of a circle whose circumference is two inches wide;

(4) placed not less than forty inches and not more than ninety six inches above the ground;

(5) posted in sufficient quantities to be clearly visible from any point of entry onto the premises

Samwolf

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

You cannot bring a loaded firearm or loose ammo into the gun show.
    The gun, as I stated, will be unloaded. As for the ammo - what they don't know won't hurt them. As more and more mess goes down in more and more places, I'm becoming less and less concerned about the pure legalities of where and when I can carry. Now, don't none of y'all go out and break the law, hea?

THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS - Getting the Word out.

Quote Originally Posted by Samwolf View Post
    From the Land Of the Sky website:

No loaded firearms, including personal firearms, are allowed in any Land of the Sky Gun Show, except those carried by certified Law Enforcement officers who must present proper identification.
    I had an experiance I must share. I am a SC State Constable which is a CERTIFIED volunteer/reserve officer by SLED. I have state-wide arrest powers with any agency that gets SLED approval for my liablilty insurance. In case of dire emergencies, I am required to act as a LEO and SLED will cover me within policy (gun show shootout). Hope that paints the right picture. Most of us Constables are more highly trained than full-time LEO's and log in many hours in training and patrol.

On Dec 12, 2009 I entered Land of Sky Gun Show at the fairgrounds in Columbia, SC. I produced my LEO credentials at the firearm safety checkpoint as I was supposed to do to comply. Much to my shock I was turned away and told it was because thier insurance didn't cover "non full time LEO or uncompensated LEO". Ok, I went back to my vehicle and disarmed to return to the show. I would have left and not returned but I had a lady with me that was shopping for a CCW.

I sent the promotor (Mike Kent) an email the next day explaining that a State Constable is considered by SLED to be a certified LEO and that most of us had more experiance and training than compensated LEO's. I laid out a scenario that included informing him that the THUGS he lets in his show don't ask, they just carry. I was to the point and cordial. I said I was welcomed at the (competing) Jamil Temple show, allowed to carry and even given a free pass. To make a long story short he sent me back this NASTY email (quoted):

"Thank you Mr. Curtis,Nothing would please me more than to have you NOT attend any more of my events. Wannabe law enforcement officers such as yourself are what give all constables a bad name. In fact, the last time a constable confronted me about carrying a loaded weapon in my show and using his credentials to gain free admission to the show, I spoke with my SLED contact in Columbia and had his commission pulled the next day. I appreciate you being so honest as to give me your name and contact number so I can once again contact SLED to alert them of a poser using his credentials to badger civilians. I think the title of your e-mail says it all. You just made a "bad choice" Mr. Curtis. Sincerely,Mike KentPresident, Land of the Sky Gun Shows"

I will personally never attend any of his events and I am spreading the word. I don't think this man appreciates a volunteer/reserve officer or even fireman. I do think what he said was out of line but I will leave that to you. I'm spreading the word that this misguided person is not a someone that should be a promoter of a gun show. I hope karma will one day put his life in the hands of an uncompensated fireman or reserve officer and he will learn to appreciate us. Make your own decision.
    At no point did I ask for free admission. I only presented my credentials at the firearm safely checkpoint.

Good for you! There is nothing on his website about 'Constables', though.

I know. Apparently he doesn't like Constables but won't admit it. I did the same thing at the SC Arms Collectors (Jamil Temple) show a few months back and they let me in armed. That's where my business will go from now on. At the very least Mike Kent is a rude person. Spread the word!!

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    DavidF150,
    I'm not familiar with the Constable system in SC and it sounds rather odd. Maybe you would not mind explaining it? For instance, in MS, Constables are fully-certified law enforcement officers who are elected to office. In the "old days" in MS, Constables could be elected with no law enforcement experience or certification, but that changed many years back. Now they must go through a state approved academy just like any other law enforcement officer (although most are experienced LEO's who are already certified). But they are clearly state-certified, state recognized, full-time law enforcement officers (marked cars; uniforms; etc). I think the "volunteer" thing is what is confusing me with your situation.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Hey KelTyke: I'm not sure where your true statement and sarcastic comment begin and end (you talk about violating the rules and then tell everyone not to break the law). As has been stated, you cannot bring ammo into the shows (which seems absurd since you can buy it when you are there). You can always bring a mag with you and once out the door, load it with a purchase and off you go. To bring ammo into the show--"what they don't know won't hurt them" is not respecting the authority given to you to CC. You can get in the habit of doin what you want because of what ifs--it can end up biting you in the end.

Gonzo,
    In SC Constables used to be appointed and they didn’t have to have to have any LE training or experience. That changed in the 70’s. Now we have to go through 80 hours of basic training including legal and shooting. I will admit the basic course isn’t nearly as intense as the academy but it’s good enough to make you useful to law enforcement. We do have to pass the same written and shooting requirements as any full-time LEO. The Governor signs our commission. Most of us are prior law enforcement. We have to buy our own gear and pay for everything which is quite expensive and requires a commitment. Constables don’t get their own vehicles unless a local LE agency provides one. We can work as much or as little as we want. Every agency I work with loves what we do for them. For purposes of carry it’s a lot more training than needed for a CC permit. I say it certainly doesn’t warrant Mike Kent’s dislike for the program or his rudeness.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keltyke View Post
    The gun, as I stated, will be unloaded. As for the ammo - what they don't know won't hurt them. As more and more mess goes down in more and more places, I'm becoming less and less concerned about the pure legalities of where and when I can carry. Now, don't none of y'all go out and break the law, hea?
    I realize you may not agree with the laws, but they are laws and as law abiding citizens with the rsponsibility of being armed it is very important to follow the rules and set good examples, and not give those who would strip our rights any help in this regard. I find your comment about being less concerned about pure legalities harmful to our efforts to furhter our rights.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF150 View Post
    I had an experiance I must share. I am a SC State Constable which is a CERTIFIED volunteer/reserve officer by SLED. I have state-wide arrest powers with any agency that gets SLED approval for my liablilty insurance. In case of dire emergencies, I am required to act as a LEO and SLED will cover me within policy (gun show shootout). Hope that paints the right picture. Most of us Constables are more highly trained than full-time LEO's and log in many hours in training and patrol.

On Dec 12, 2009 I entered Land of Sky Gun Show at the fairgrounds in Columbia, SC. I produced my LEO credentials at the firearm safety checkpoint as I was supposed to do to comply. Much to my shock I was turned away and told it was because thier insurance didn't cover "non full time LEO or uncompensated LEO". Ok, I went back to my vehicle and disarmed to return to the show. I would have left and not returned but I had a lady with me that was shopping for a CCW.

I sent the promotor (Mike Kent) an email the next day explaining that a State Constable is considered by SLED to be a certified LEO and that most of us had more experiance and training than compensated LEO's. I laid out a scenario that included informing him that the THUGS he lets in his show don't ask, they just carry. I was to the point and cordial. I said I was welcomed at the (competing) Jamil Temple show, allowed to carry and even given a free pass. To make a long story short he sent me back this NASTY email (quoted):

"Thank you Mr. Curtis,Nothing would please me more than to have you NOT attend any more of my events. Wannabe law enforcement officers such as yourself are what give all constables a bad name. In fact, the last time a constable confronted me about carrying a loaded weapon in my show and using his credentials to gain free admission to the show, I spoke with my SLED contact in Columbia and had his commission pulled the next day. I appreciate you being so honest as to give me your name and contact number so I can once again contact SLED to alert them of a poser using his credentials to badger civilians. I think the title of your e-mail says it all. You just made a "bad choice" Mr. Curtis. Sincerely,Mike KentPresident, Land of the Sky Gun Shows"

I will personally never attend any of his events and I am spreading the word. I don't think this man appreciates a volunteer/reserve officer or even fireman. I do think what he said was out of line but I will leave that to you. I'm spreading the word that this misguided person is not a someone that should be a promoter of a gun show. I hope karma will one day put his life in the hands of an uncompensated fireman or reserve officer and he will learn to appreciate us. Make your own decision.
    At no point did I ask for free admission. I only presented my credentials at the firearm safely checkpoint.
    This guy sounds like a real jerk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links