Defensive Carry banner

Pepper spray vs bear spray

33K views 31 replies 23 participants last post by  Colin 
#1 ·
I always carry pepper spray with me. This gives me a couple of options before deadly force is needed.

It's time to replace my spray and I got to thinking.. what about bear spray?

Also, I see Kimber has come out with s really nice pepper spray.

Any opinions on the above?

mike

#2 ·
I have thought about this also.. my only concern would be if you did spray some one and there lawyer found out and sewed you for not using something "Safe" on humans? or even back to the guy who used "police strength" and not being a LEO.

I would also like to hear what everyone thinks.

#11 ·
I have thought about this also.. my only concern would be if you did spray some one and there lawyer found out and sewed you for not using something "Safe" on humans?

A bullet in the face isn't safe for humans either, would you rather get sprayed in the face with bear spray or bullets? I don't think that angle would stick in court, they should be thankful there not dead. I would spray the **** out of someone with bear spray if I had it and I wouldn't think twice about getting sued because my angle would be "well I could of just shot you"

#3 ·
I'm also concerned W/ thre not safe for humans angle. Plus most bearsprays I've seen shoot out a cloud like a fogger instead of a stream, great if you want to stop a bear but for a human not so much.

And finally 4.oz Foxlabs 26.95$ at L&S in Co Springs 4.oz UDAP bearspray 56.00$ at REI

#4 ·
The Forest Service has issued a BEAR WARNING for those frequenting national forests. They urge everyone to protect themselves by wearing bells and carrying pepper spray.

Anyone outdoors should be alert for signs of fresh bear activity and should be able to tell the difference between black bear dung and grizzly bear dung:

Black bear dung is rather small and round and may contain remnants of vegetation or fruit seeds, etc.

Grizzly bear dung has little pieces of bells in it, and smells like pepper spray!

(I'll take my chances with a loaded firearm)

#8 ·
Black bear dung is rather small and round and may contain remnants of vegetation or fruit seeds, etc.

Grizzly bear dung has little pieces of bells in it, and smells like pepper spray!

(I'll take my chances with a loaded firearm)
:rofl: Too funny!

#5 ·
I would check your state and local laws. Some jurisdictions have limits on the concentration strength of the OC formula. Bear spray has a higher strength then pepper spray used for self defense. You just may get sued in civil court for excessive force if you use Bear pepper spray instead of one designed for self defense against other humans.

#6 ·
I too have seen some state laws that are fairly specific about what an approved pepper spray is. Things like 4 ounce max, maximum concentration 5%?, and needs a safety mechanism. Having a "Law Enforcement Only" or "Bear Spray" marked can could cause some trouble if you sprayed someone. It could open one up to additional civil lawsuits as well.

I know this is lame, but you have to follow your state/local laws. Knife laws are like this too. They vary from place to place and sometimes make no sense.

I would stick to sprays designed and marked for self defense.

PS You can use your old one for some good ol' fashion practice!

#7 ·
From Arizona.

ARIZONA: Legal.

Section 13-3101.7 excludes from the definition of "prohibited weapon" "**any propellant (or) propellant actuated devices ** which are manufactured, imported or distributed for their intended purposes **". There is nothing that appears to regulate or prohibit the lawful use of self-defense sprays of any kind.

#9 ·
From Arizona.

ARIZONA: Legal.

Section 13-3101.7 excludes from the definition of "prohibited weapon" "**any propellant (or) propellant actuated devices ** which are manufactured, imported or distributed for their intended purposes **". There is nothing that appears to regulate or prohibit the lawful use of self-defense sprays of any kind.
I'd be careful about declaring bear spray legal.

What you quoted says, "for their intended purposes." The intended purpose of bear spray is to be used on bears, not humans. I think you could find yourself in a world of trouble with that clause.

Besides, I used to sell bear spray. Most of them don't come in a nice little discreet package. They are pretty big canisters. Nothing I would want to try to tote around along with everything else.

If you want more spray they do have larger canisters of human spray. I sold one the size of a fire extinguisher to a bouncer who had to use six small cans to break up a group fight. But we were sure to make sure it was for humans.

Lawyers can be picky about that kind of stuff.

My question would be, why do you feel you need to have that much/kind of spray?

Personally, I carry the Kimber LifeAct. I haven't had to use it but I've watched some videos of different sprays and I like the fact that it is a gel that is "fired" rather than just a spray under pressure. I'm comfortable with it.

The only drawback is that it only has two shots, but it's sleek and small and fits wherever I need it to.

#10 ·
Some of the best bear spray like Guard Alaska contains a grease and oil cutting solvent.
That is so that it is more effective on bears since their facial skin surface is oily & greasy.

Guard Alaska does not wash off very easily and the usual Police Type OC neutralizers do not work super great to remove it.

On the plus side Guard Alaska does not react with the cannister that houses it and so has no expiration date.

As per the above post by limatunes - What are the possible legal ramifications of using Bear Spray on human vermin?
I have absolutely no idea so...pays yer money and takes yer chances or opt for standard can of OC or the Kimber.

#17 ·
I guess you could buy some bear spray and polish the graphics off of the canister if you were worried about it. Nothing illegal about that.

#19 ·
Am I the only one who finds it odd that if you were being robbed, a state law may forbid you to use bear spray, but .45 caliber lead bullets would be OK?:rofl: :rolleyes: :blink: :hand1: :banned:

#20 ·
If you are talking about my posts, I wouldnt say it would be ok.... but... if you used the .45 then there would be one side of the story...
once the other side cleans up for court and claims you used bear spray or what not and caused physical damage.

it just reminds me of a guy who was having gas stolen, so he replaced the gas after it was gone a few times with sugar gas and then he was sued and lost for the replacement cost of the motor that was now a paper weight of the a$$ that stole the gas... in this world who knows what angle a lawyer will take.

(maybe a bad example but you get what I am saying)

#22 ·
You gave me a great idea. I think Pepper Spray is an excellent defense item that can be used along with a concealed carry firearm. Offcourse every scenerio is different, however; pepper spay would be a something that can be used to offset anyone (BG) before drawing your weapon.

#23 ·
I agree completely, I carry a 4.oz can with red marker dye in it... while working a few months ago I had to spray 2 guys that were fighting... there was some one in the crowd that thought it would be a good idea to use there own spray and spray the security and other people standing there... the red marker was very useful in this case... we had a few people saying they were sprayed by security and yet they didn't have any dye on them.... so it proved they were sprayed by the other person... weapon was never needed and never pulled.

#24 ·
I’ve had a can of bear spray for several years and I recently took it back to the gun shop for disposal or whatever they decided. It most likely ended up in the store clerk’s house. As with others’ I too was concerned with civil liabilities of unsafe chemical use. In any event, I will replace that non-lethal device with a taser. It’s far more effective and sure beats having to shoot a strong-arm assailant.
Regards,

#30 ·
I’ve had a can of bear spray for several years [...]. As with others’ I too was concerned with civil liabilities of unsafe chemical use. In any event, I will replace that non-lethal device with a taser.

Does a taser really give you less liability exposure than pepper spray? I would have guessed just the opposite. Around here, there have been questions raised about excessive force being used in some police tasings, and I remember hearing about a few tasing deaths around the country. I don't remember hearing about any similar situations with pepper spray.

Also, aren't tasers quite a bit bigger and harder to carry than a 2oz can of pepper spray? At least the tasers I've seen carried by police are.

#25 ·
Scenario, You are being atacked or witness an attack involving 2 or more BG's. For whatever reason you do not have or cannot use your ccw. You see a baseball bat or a nice piece of wood and use that for defense. That would not be illegal So why would it be illegal to use bear spray if it just so happened to be available even though you never intended to use the spray for people. You just needed to.
That being said bear spray canisters are rather large for normal everyday carry, very effective but large. I would stick to "regular" pepper spray not for legal reasons just ease of carry

#28 ·
I would agree you have a great point, and I don't think the "law" would not come after you for using it, it would be justifiable (in my opinion) but when the family take you to civil court and sues you for what ever. that is where the problem would be... so you might not go to jail, but you would possibly end up in a long court cases.

--edit--- I would also say If any one is in that position and afraid for their life and cant get to or don't have their CCW available, they should / could use what ever they have on hand to protect them self and family... better off alive then dead... but there might be a long road ahead...

#31 ·
I'd stick with the pepper spray personally, having had to use it and having it done to me for effect and just the other day again going after a pit bull, I can attest if it's going to work, pepper spray is still effective as ever LOL. The cop used it as the Pit charged him and I was behind the pit and he missed the dog and while I didn't catch the full blast, I caught the wind current portion behind it to take me out of action for a minute. Yes, I finally caught the Pit also, but no thanks to this fool, damn good thing he was using a gun.:blink:

#32 ·
Bearspray does work well, but like anything has it limitions. Up here "dog spray" is about 1/2 the strength as bearspray. We are not allowed to carry a device to defend ourselves from humans, but are allowed to carry measures to defend ourselves from predators, since we have bears, coyotes and cougars throughout our city, my wife and I carry bearspray most places and I carry dog spray at work. Even if i carried a gun, I would continue to bring spray with me and a knife. Things will go wrong at the worst possible moment and it's nice to have plan B. Also cycle your cans every 3 years and use the old can for training. Be aware that expelled bearspray will attract bears.

Bearspray

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.