secure carry in a bag

secure carry in a bag

This is a discussion on secure carry in a bag within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There are times when I desire to carry my Glock with me, but not on me. Not wanting to leave my pistol holstered in a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: secure carry in a bag

secure carry in a bag

There are times when I desire to carry my Glock with me, but not on me. Not wanting to leave my pistol holstered in a bag that is easily accessible I began looking for options. The best thing I've run across is using this in my normal messenger style bag. This would prevent curious kids and random people from grabbing the pistol and shooting themselves or others.

• Does anyone have an opinion on this specific portable safe?
    • Any suggests on ways to secure a pistol in a bag, while leaving it semi-accessible to myself?

In MO we can carry in a vehicle with no permit. At WM I found a little shoulder bag made my remington. It is realtree camo and measures about 9X7. The main compartment has a divider and my 24/7 fits nicely inside useing a cheapo UM side kick holster with the retention strap and belt clip removed. It has a small front pocket that my dual mag holster fits nicely in. I tossed in a cheapo LED flash light. My primary purpose was to keep the neighbors from seeing me tote my gun back and forth from the car. I like it because it doesn't scream "gun" like a maxpedition or fanny pack but it still doesn't look like a murse.
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

I guess I don't understand why, if you can keep a pistol with you, you wouldn't want it on you?
    A pistol that is on your person is a much safer pistol and eliminates the chance of leaving it someplace.
    I'd work on the holster, fanny pack, or belly band route. OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I sure agree with retsupt99, on you beats off you any day.

There are several options available in the bag option though. You might check out Maxpedition and Blackhawk.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I don't like the idea of bag, brief case, purse, day runner carry. Holster on my person.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    i would feel more secure with a gun in a sling type messnger bag that cannot be easily removed from your body...its an effective way to carry with the gun in front of you and easily accessible...

what i dont understand is locking a gun in a small safe while carrying it...making it less than accessible..

the secure it safes work well for under seat car storage where you cannot carry...i own 2 of them and am very happy with them...you get a better deal at xdpistols.com

Should we time your draw with a stopwatch or a sundial?

How about one of these in your messenger bag....
    http://www.center-of-mass.com/Store_PacSafes.htm

I understand the bag carry thing, and I've done that once in a blue moon. I have a messenger bag that doubles as a diaper bag. Nothing like having baby wipes and butt cream next to spare mags. Anyway, my CCW was in a holster and easily accessible.

What if you need to get at your gun in a hurry? Won't your setup prevent that?

VIP Member
    I've carried in a messenger bag occasionally, but prefer keeping my gun on me...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I usually carry on me, but on some long drives or outdoor outings I opt for my Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack. I don't feel it screams "gun" and no one has ever commented on it. It has a generic holster and handles my P226 and two extra magazines with ease in the mag carrier I ordered with the bag.

It also doubles well as a day-pack for trips into the big city and outings with the family.

Where I live, lots of guys carry a version of this pack, and it doesn't look like you're rockin' the ghey, either.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    i have the same problem and have chosen a Maxpedition Remura. I carry an extra mag, Power bar, Med kit, Cell phone Batt, signal mirror, Surefire G-2, and Gerber air Harsey.

VIP Member
    I lived in Europe and my fiancée lives in Verona, Italy where fanny packs are very common. I picked up one made by Lacotse™ and it’s very slim and no way looks like the abortion-bags here in the States. Its very much part of my EDC wardrobe. Admittedly, I took some heat from a gal I was dating when I took along the pack. Usually, American’s want to copy the Europeans, whereas the Europeans want to copy us. The whole 'f-bag' stigma and the associated nick-name certainly took its toll, and so the story goes...
    Regards,
    Last edited by Saber; December 4th, 2009 at 01:30 PM.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    i have the same problem and have chosen a Maxpedition Remura. I carry an extra mag, Power bar, Med kit, Cell phone Batt, signal mirror, Surefire G-2, and Gerber air Harsey.
    Excellent knife choice. I have one of those myself. Did a YT review on it.

Thanks everyone that pointed me towards Maxpedition. There appear to be a few good options.

Regarding, slow draw time and why I don't carry it on my person...
    While I can understand the mentality of keeping the weapon always on you, that isn't an option for everyone all the time.

Two possible situations in my life.
    Scenario 1: I volunteer at my church in different capacities. While the pastor does not mind me carrying, there are times when my Glock does not conceal well enough. (2x2 basket ball, chasing kids in the nursery, at youth group, up front praying for people etc). The bag is in the room with me, and I'm not worried about someone stealing it but I also don't want to freak out random people or have a stay kid get into my bag when I'm side tracked talking to someone.

Scenario 2: My in-laws/ parents don't want me to carry at their house, and want the weapon secure so one of the 6 grand kids doesn't find it and hurt themselves. I want it accessible for when we are leaving and at night.

I don't know what you mean by "in the room with you", but I would in no way have a loaded gun in my bag in your church play area while it is not immediately on your person. Ditto for visiting family.

In those situations, I disarm and LOCK my handgun in my COM car safe, and rearm back in the car.

If I read you correctly, your idea sounds unwise.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links