Obtaining MA & RI Permit - Page 2

Obtaining MA & RI Permit

This is a discussion on Obtaining MA & RI Permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Contact the Centre County Sheriff, for $26 he will do all through the mail. Here is the website: Centre County Government: Sheriff: License to Carry ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Obtaining MA & RI Permit

Contact the Centre County Sheriff, for $26 he will do all through the mail. Here is the website:
    Centre County Government: Sheriff: License to Carry Firearm Application
    I got this permit and when I moved from IL to ME I sent a letter with my corrected address. Well, a week or two later I got the permit with a note saying that I needed to submit $5 for the updated permit. Talk about trusting and great to work with! Boy, if all were this good!

No training ?

Quote Originally Posted by Amend2 View Post
    I have a resident RI permit and non-resident permits in MA and ME (where we spend a fair amount of time shopping and on vacation). You would not need a MA permit just to travel from ME to RI, as long as you were just passing through (but to be on the safe side, I would unload the weapon and secure the ammo in a separate container if you stopped on the way). Since that defeats the purpose of being armed for self-defense, you should apply for a non-resident permit in MA (through the State Police firearms records division in Chelsea), as well as in RI (Attorney General's office). The CCW laws in MA and RI do not require in-state training, and whatever qualifications you had to meet for your ME permit should be recognized. Each has its own view of what constitutes a "need" to carry a concealed weapon, and yours seems reasonable.
    Hello, i live in RI. So i dont need training ? How can i get the permit then ?

I wouldn't waste my time with RI. The county I live in is 2 times the size of that state.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Good luck trying to get any kind of gun permit in RI. The red tape is incredible and last I heard stating that your need to carry is to defend yourself and your family isn't good enough .

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    RI is tough and everyone needs to qualify. Any NRA instructor can do the qualification for you, but they must use a special target that isn't common (Army-L). RI AG routinely denies applicants with "insufficient reason" given as their excuse. Thus, I decided never to risk the time, money and possibility of having to forever explain a denial on every application henceforth.

MA requires a course by a Mass State Police Certified Instructor. The course can be given anywhere but few non-MA folks bother to get certified since the instructor must keep up a valid NR LTC. The MA NR LTC process requires the course (1st application only), $100, the form and then they contact you with your appointment date to go to Chelsea, MA for your interview, picture and fingerprints (you have to do this every year), then you wait another few months to get the NR LTC that is only good for 1 year, rinse and repeat. LTCs will be restricted (no CCW) unless you can give a convincing story unique to you as to why you are at risk and should be granted a non-restricted LTC.

Merely traveling thru MA without an UN-restricted LTC means locking up the unloaded gun and ammo separate in accordance with FOPA while in MA and not delaying yourself in the state.

I just recently took the MA training, and one of the things the instructor told us was that if you're transporting a gun through MA under the auspices of the federal law, you can't stop in the state for any reason. Something to keep in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
    I just recently took the MA training, and one of the things the instructor told us was that if you're transporting a gun through MA under the auspices of the federal law, you can't stop in the state for any reason. Something to keep in mind.
    Not true. FOPA ONLY allows one to stop for gas, bathroom break or a QUICK meal (NOT meeting friends/relatives). Of course if you get a MA NR LTC, regardless of restrictions, you can have any MA-legal (non-AW, no post-9/13/1994 mfd >10 rd pistol/rifle or >5 rd shotgun mags) locked up in your car, stop wherever for whatever you like as long as you like.

nothing in FOPA allows stops of any kind.

please provide a cite.

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    nothing in FOPA allows stops of any kind.

please provide a cite.
    There is no clarification in the words of FOPA, but places like NJ & NY have created case law on it. NY Courts ruled that FOPA only protects motor vehicle travel (not air travel) as an example. NJ Court has ruled that you can't stay overnight in NJ and have FOPA protect you (that guy spent 3 years in prison due to this).

I can tell you that MA does recognize FOPA and a quick stop to gas up, go to the bathroom, or grab a quick sandwich at a highway rest stop won't get you arrested under FOPA.

understood. my point was there is nothing in FOPA that allows stops of any kind anywhere.

In Revell vs Port Authority of NY and NJ, Revell was found guilty because by taking possession of his suitcase, he the had access to his firearm

stopping your vehicle for any reason could also be construed as giving you access as well.

just pointing it out.

IANAL.

understood. my point was there is nothing in FOPA that allows stops of any kind anywhere.
    I'll concede that the words aren't in there. On the other hand, you can only drive so far on a tank of gas, still need to eat and a stop to relieve yourself. So AFAIK, no states other than NY & NJ have tried to rein in your ability to function like a human being and still be compliant with FOPA.

i agree. just pointing out that nothing exists in FOPA that technically allows stops.

even Judges get hungry , need restroom breaks and need gasoline.

i agree. just pointing out that nothing exists in FOPA that technically allows stops.

even Judges get hungry , need restroom breaks and need gasoline.
    Yes, the hope is that they understand that too.

apparently everywhere but NJ and NYC

sad

Pro
    I still drive around NJ and minimize my time in NY (and avoid NYC completely) when traveling under FOPA. MA isn't an issue for me as I have a MA LTC.
    Minimum government, maximum freedom.

NRA - Member
    GOAL - Member
    Comm2A - Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links