Obtaining MA & RI Permit

This is a discussion on Obtaining MA & RI Permit within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings to all, I wonder if anyone would have advice on obtaining permits in MA and RI. My wife is a psychiatrist in ME and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obtaining MA & RI Permit

Obtaining MA & RI Permit

Greetings to all, I wonder if anyone would have advice on obtaining permits in MA and RI. My wife is a psychiatrist in ME and we travel to her home state of RI from time to time. First, is it reasonable to submit to the states I want to carry to protect her from any disgruntled or stalking patients? Mind you she treats people from all over ME. Second, I am guessing that I would have to train in both MA and RI in order to get their permits. Any suggestions or advice? I would perfer to avoid any rejections from these state so that I dont have to explain it on any renewals for other permits I have.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I would imagine RI isn't that difficult. I believe it's a "May issue" state but I think they are shall issue by practice and do have non-resident permits.Rhode Island Concealed Carry Permit Information

As for MA... I'm not too sure. I think you can get a non-resident permit, but I would imagine there is a lot of red tape.

I have a resident RI permit and non-resident permits in MA and ME (where we spend a fair amount of time shopping and on vacation). You would not need a MA permit just to travel from ME to RI, as long as you were just passing through (but to be on the safe side, I would unload the weapon and secure the ammo in a separate container if you stopped on the way). Since that defeats the purpose of being armed for self-defense, you should apply for a non-resident permit in MA (through the State Police firearms records division in Chelsea), as well as in RI (Attorney General's office). The CCW laws in MA and RI do not require in-state training, and whatever qualifications you had to meet for your ME permit should be recognized. Each has its own view of what constitutes a "need" to carry a concealed weapon, and yours seems reasonable.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Amend,

I live in CT and travel to RI often for medical appt's, shopping with the wife, etc. What justification did you use on your application to "demonstrate a need" as required?

I would love to get a RI permit but this has been holding me back. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to discuss this publicly.

Mike
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

CT-Mike

PM sent.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Any RI non-resident permit holders out there who can answer my question above?

Mike
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

I think Handgunlaw's wrong on RI being shall-issue(unless something's changed that I'm not aware of).Look at this case: http://www.courts.ri.gov/supreme/pdf-files/01-161.pdf.
    I do believe though that Handgunlaw is now stating that in order to get a MA permit, training must be done in MA. Don't know about RI training. From what I've heard, once you get through all the paperwork and waiting that you'll get a MA permit.

Let us know if you apply and how the process goes. I'm curious myself.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

The wife and I are attending MA specific training at the Smith & Wesson academy just after the new year. I will update everyone with information as I make my way through the permit process for both MA and RI.

Thanks,

Mike

- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    I think Handgunlaw's wrong on RI being shall-issue(unless something's changed that I'm not aware of).Look at this case: http://www.courts.ri.gov/supreme/pdf-files/01-161.pdf.
    I do believe though that Handgunlaw is now stating that in order to get a MA permit, training must be done in MA. Don't know about RI training. From what I've heard, once you get through all the paperwork and waiting that you'll get a MA permit.

Let us know if you apply and how the process goes. I'm curious myself.
    You CAN obtain your training for the MA CCW from out of state.
    Up here in NH, the SigSauer Academy in Epping, NH offers a Handgun 101 course that meets the Mass. standards.

Courses for firearm, self-defense and law enforcement training.

If anyone has obtained an out of state CCW for Mass. please relay the experience. I live in NH and work in Mass but all I hear is "don't bother trying". With how liberal Mass gun laws are in the first place (that's one reason when I had to relocate from Delaware for work I moved to NH and commute 90 minutes a day) I honestly haven't even tried to get the process started yet.

Tom

jon
    For a MA Non-Res Permit, you need to have completed a MA certified training course, which can be done out-of-state. Non-resident MA LTC's are actually easier to get because they are through the State police, whereas resident permits are issued by cities/towns at the chiefs' discretion, which can include restrictions as to if you can even carry concealed.
    As far as RI, I have heard mixed stories. Demonstrating need seems to be the key there. I know you have the choice of applying through the AG's office or through the local sheriff.

jon
    Quote Originally Posted by tomphilly View Post
    You CAN obtain your training for the MA CCW from out of state.
    Up here in NH, the SigSauer Academy in Epping, NH offers a Handgun 101 course that meets the Mass. standards.

Courses for firearm, self-defense and law enforcement training.

If anyone has obtained an out of state CCW for Mass. please relay the experience. I live in NH and work in Mass but all I hear is "don't bother trying". With how liberal Mass gun laws are in the first place (that's one reason when I had to relocate from Delaware for work I moved to NH and commute 90 minutes a day) I honestly haven't even tried to get the process started yet.

Tom
    Go for it!
    It is pricey...$100/yr.
    Just have all of the required material in order and you will get it without a doubt, assuming you already have your NH permit.
    MA State Police are much easier to deal with than certain police chiefs who issue resident ones.
    The "packet" may seem intimidating, but its really just an attempt to discourage applicants.
    Easy stuff once you sit down with it.
    I am the opposite, MA LTC :A..NH Non-res permit.

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    press1280,

The law in RI states that the Local Authority Shall Issue a permit to those who apply etc etc. The law says the AG May issue. From my understanding from talking to people in RI a Non Resident can apply to any Sheriff. From what I have been told they don't have to issue a non resident one if they don't want to. There is nothing in the law that I have found that RI law treats residents or non residents different.

But just because the law says Shall Issue doesn't mean much. In PA I had a Sheriff tell me that he would not even give me an application. I then told him the law said he had to and that if he denied me he had to put it in writing. I even had a copy of the law and showed him. He told me he didn't care what the law said he was not even giving me an application or a written reason why not. He told me if I didn't like it to Sue him.

He knew what the law was and didn't care. I just went to another county and got my non resident.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Quote Originally Posted by jon View Post
    Go for it!
    It is pricey...$100/yr.
    Just have all of the required material in order and you will get it without a doubt, assuming you already have your NH permit.
    MA State Police are much easier to deal with than certain police chiefs who issue resident ones.
    The "packet" may seem intimidating, but its really just an attempt to discourage applicants.
    Easy stuff once you sit down with it.
    I am the opposite, MA LTC :A..NH Non-res permit.
    Jon,

Thanks! I agree it's VERY pricey. BUT when you figure I spend and average of 9-12 hours a day at the office at least 3 days a week (don't hate me because I'm smart enough to weasel my way into working from home 2 days a week I drive a lifted Diesel gotta save money!) plus the 1 1/2 drive each way (all but the last 15 minutes in mass.)
    I am spending the bulk of my time out of the house unarmed... That does NOT go over well with me!

I think they'll end up getting my cash on this one. I just didn't want to spend the money on the course if the state police were in the habit of trashing out of state apps.

Anyone know if the MA compliant courses typically cover Florida as well?

Jon,
    Did you see that the Non-Resident NH just went up from $20 to $100?!?!?! When did that happen? I was helping my dad with the form when we realized it. I have a copy of my paperwork from a few months ago and it says $20 still...

Thanks again!

Tom

Not only is the MA non-res $100/yr, but it's only good for one year. Plus, a recent change requires applicants to apply in person, both for initial and renewal applications. http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/massachusetts.pdf

I would do it if I had occasion to frequent MA, but not just to get that one more state "just in case" I need to go to or through there.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

jon
    Quote Originally Posted by tomphilly View Post

Jon,
    Did you see that the Non-Resident NH just went up from $20 to $100?!?!?! When did that happen? I was helping my dad with the form when we realized it. I have a copy of my paperwork from a few months ago and it says $20 still...

Thanks again!

Tom
    Yes, I paid the $100 fee. Happened I believe on June 1st.
    ONLY the non-res price got raised.
    However, I got my permit much quicker than people who had sent theirs in before they raised the price.
    IMO it is worth it for the 4 years, as I work near the NH border and frequent there on occasion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links