GOOD: It Happened, I got stopped by LEO

This is a discussion on GOOD: It Happened, I got stopped by LEO within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While crusing back from my favorite gun store, Got on the freeway and minding my own business, ( i thought) when i popped a hill ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: GOOD: It Happened, I got stopped by LEO

GOOD: It Happened, I got stopped by LEO

While crusing back from my favorite gun store, Got on the freeway and minding my own business, ( i thought) when i popped a hill and there he was, my buddy riding with me said i think your going to get stop. i said dont know why i was only doing 66. here he came. i pulled over.

Now before i go on any further, i know some of you will disagree, and thats ok, but i said from day one this is what i was going to do and i stuck to my decision.

anyway the LEO stopped behind my car, got out came up to my window which i had down, already had both my hands on the steering wheel, my buddy had his hands where the leo could see them so when he came up and said see your license and insurance card, i stated i am a ccw, how would you like to procede with this, (which our instructor said to do if we were stopped) he stated do you have a gun, i said yes its in my left front pocket, and my wallet is my left rear pocket. he said ok, my buddy said "sir i am also a ccw" the leo said are you carrying? he said yes i have one in my left front pocket and one in the middle of the back.
    The LEO stated ok great, he then said ok go ahead and get your license out. which i did and pulled it out along with ccw. LEO took my license and glanced at the ccw and stated i dont need that, and the reason i stopped you is that you were going 66 in a 55 mph zone, i stated yeap, but i thought it was 65 the leo stated well alot of people think that coming in this area, the city has got some compaints so thats why i am down here running radar, he then said you were only going 11 over and i am not going to write you a ticket, but i will need to go back to the car and write you a warning, i said sure thats fine,
    (i thought geez i'm not going to say i didnt want to wait especially since he was only going to write me a warning) he went back after a few minutes he came back handed me the warning ticket and said you guys be safe and have a great afternoon and just remember this is a 55 mph zone, we said yes sir and thankyou, and wished him a Merry Christmas, and he told us to have a Merry Christmas too, rolled up the window signaled and went on my merry way.

if had to do over again..... I wouldnt do anything different and if i ever get stopped again will do the same thing.
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like a good textbook stop. Good job.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    Good stop, good post. Sound like a reasonable officer, told you why he pulled you over, told you why he was running radar in the area, wasn't alarmed by the concealed weapons.

That's the way it should be.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Sounds like it was handled well by everyone involved.
    "The theory that the children of the Commonwealth are the charge of the Commonwealth is a pagan one, derived from heathen Sparta and Platoís heathen republic, and connected by regular, logical sequence with legalized prostitution and the dissolution of the conjugal tie." R.L. Dabney

NRA Member

if had to do over again..... I wouldnt do anything different and if i ever get stopped again will do the same thing.
    Let's know if your mind changes when you're face down on the ground because you needlessy informed a cop that you were armed

That';s how it should always be. BTW, next time by there, look and see if the speed sign is "hidden" or hard to see.

I think most cops will see a CCW/CCH as a cousin to a LEO at least and give a break when they can, at least if you treat them with respect and let them knowwhat as well as who you are.

If you have a license, no need to be afraid of the cops or even secretive about CCW.
    The People Think the Constitution Protects Their Rights;
    Government See IT as an Obstacle to be Over-come.

That's exactly how I plan to handle it if the situation arises (which at some point, probably will). Thanks for sharing.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

it sounds like everything worked out great and this cop was very comfortable with the situation. Sounds like it went smoothly.
    Glock 27,Hi-Point .380, S&W 3913, RIA 5" Tactical

NRA Member/Supporter

"Government is not the solution to our problems; government is the problem." - President Ronald Reagan

That is exactly how I would have done it, especially as my state (NC) is a must inform state. I understand Treo's point of view and he must live where you don't have to inform.

Two sides of the coin, some people have had bad experiences and some go just like this. I remember reading on a forum (not sure if it was this one or a different one) that a guy was asked to get out of the car and he informed at that time that he had a permit and was carrying and the sheriff basically dared him to draw and said that he bet he was faster than the permit holder and that if he twitched funny that the sheriff would drop him where he stood. Stuff like that is uncalled for and might get somebody killed.

I am glad that it turned out well for you and I hope it continues too.
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2¼ barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

Tell me something, for informational purposes, and I'm serious: why would a LEO not react like this? What would be the benefit for the LEO to react negatively and make it a big thing for all involved? Has anybody had, or has anybody heard of someone having, a negative declaration?
    "I believe that's my stapler."

NRA Member for Life
    "I can not, for all the Stars in Heaven, find one instance or occasion or a living example of a woman who gave birth to anything but another human being, regardless of the period of time that baby was in the womb".

I guess the reaction in my previous post would be considered negative. We posted at about the same time. Usally it is where the LEO is an "Anti", either Anti-gun, Anti-civilian-with-a-CCP, or Anti-civilian-with-a-gun-period.

(Sorry, I got a little hyphen happy )

Anyway, that is usually the explanation and some LEO's have voiced that opinion to some Permit Holders.

Doesn't make much sense to me for a LEO to be anti-gun, but it happens.
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2¼ barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

I think most cops will see a CCW/CCH as a cousin to a LEO
    But the permit holder isn’t the “cousin of the LEO” the permit imputes exactly zero police authority to the permit holder and most cops (IME) view permit holders as amateur wannabes.

My theory is that those that are in such a hurry to inform see themselves as the “cousin of the LEO” ( IOW they are amatuer wannabes) and can’t wait to use the secret “I carry a gun too” handshake.

IMO the concept of guarding your civil liberties is something you either get or you don't if you get it, you get it. If you don't nothing you read here is going to convince you. I will promise you though you are but one bad cop away from understanding it perfectly.

the sheriff basically dared him to draw and said that he bet he was faster than the permit holder and that if he twitched funny that the sheriff would drop him where he stood.
    THR I remember that thread

A good stop for all the right reasons...now slow down...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sounds like you did exactly what you should do. Everything went smoothly too. And congrats on not getting a ticket!
    Logan - NRA Member

Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP

Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable

I too do not understand the need to inform police unless it is required by law in your state. When he stopped you did you think it was for some gun related reason? Where you scarring other drivers by brandishing your gun or shooting out the window? I am sure the answer is no so why bring up he subject? Some would say it is for "Officer safety" to which I reply the officer couldn't be safer with me and my gun. I am trained, (actually I am a trainer in MN), I have passed the required background check and I know how to safely handle a gun and abide by the law. So with me he is safe unlike stopping some criminal who is not going to tell him even if asked.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links