Does my employer have the right to fire me for carrying at work? - Page 2

Does my employer have the right to fire me for carrying at work?

This is a discussion on Does my employer have the right to fire me for carrying at work? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have not yet read all the posts here yet, so If I repeat, so be it. In short, yes. Colorado being an " At ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I have not yet read all the posts here yet, so If I repeat, so be it.

In short, yes.

Colorado being an " At Will" state, your employer can fire you for any, or no reason at all.
    Being found out just gives a handy reason, but no reason has to be given in the end.

Make sense?
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

And this is one of the hazards of our electronic age. If your employer reads your post on this forum they can fire you! Every couple of months when it is a slow news day Headline News will run a story about an employee who posts something stupid about their employer on face book and then getting fired for it and whining about it.
    As has been pointed out, some states your employment is "at will". They can fire you because you lace your shoes left over right instead of right over left. Or because it is cloudy today. The only things they cant fire you for are because you are a member of a "protected class" as defined by a court. Even then the burden is on you to show that is why they fired you. Unless they flat out say "we are firing you because of who you are." as opposed to "we are firing you because of this behavior." it will be an up hill battle.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by elkhunter View Post
    I have not yet read all the posts here yet, so If I repeat, so be it.

In short, yes.

Colorado being an " At Will" state, your employer can fire you for any, or no reason at all.
    Being found out just gives a handy reason, but no reason has to be given in the end.

Make sense?
    This is it in a nutshell. If you are in an "at will" state that can fire you for pretty much anything that is not protected by a contract a violation of some civil rights.

Michael

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Since you did not tell us what type of work you do, we can only assume you feel a great need to carry at work knowing that if you get caught it could be grounds for dismissal.

Are you in such a position that you feel threatened while at work and need to defend yourself against bodily harm or imminent death during your 8 hour shift, OR are you just carrying in defiance feeling within that you have every right to do so, to heck with what the "man" says?
    Proud NRA member

1) I live in an at-will state, Texas. I work for a large municipally owned utility.
    2) I carry my weapon on me all the time, leave it locked in the truck at work. I possess a Texas CHL.
    3) Company has a no firearms policy in place.
    4) Do I understand if I am discovered I will be fired? Absolutely. Do I care?

Of course I do. But then again my need for self-preservation overrides that fear. I can always get another job, but there is only one life to live.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I'd say yes they do have the right to fire you for violating policy, but you have the right not to work for them.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

Since you did not tell us what type of work you do, we can only assume you feel a great need to carry at work knowing that if you get caught it could be grounds for dismissal
    I'm a security guard I work alone out on the butt end of no where and there is almost zero chance that I will either need my firearm or get caught W/ it. I carry because It's more convieniant than leaving it in my car.

It's hard for me to take the opposing view in this thread I totally agree that my employer ,in the unlikely event that I get caught carrying, has every right to terminate me. I was just trying to leave the topic open because one of the Mods thought it was a relevant discussion

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I'm a security guard I work alone out on the butt end of no where and there is almost zero chance that I will either need my firearm or get caught W/ it. I carry because It's more convieniant than leaving it in my car.
    Could carrying be a violation of state law, since you are a security guard? Is licensing required for security guards, in your state?

Just curious, wouldn't want you to get in trouble....
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I saw the other thread on this that was closed and thought I’d open up another topic. I carry at work, the management is not aware that I carry at work and would probably fire me on the spot if they found out. I accept this as a possible consequence of my violating company policy and I understand that I may lose my job over this.

I believe that my employer has the right to set conditions of employment and I agreed to be bound by those conditions when I accepted the position.

The reason I opened this thread is to encourage debate among those W/ opposing viewpoints.
    If you believe your employer has the right to set conditions of employment and you agreed to be bound by them, then why do you carry at work. Do you think you have a right to do what you want???

I beleive Colorado law says that an employer can not search your car if it is in a parking lot that is not restricted (no fence, not a parking garage that needs a passkey, not stopping the public). Of course many places you can park on the street and walk onto property. We have a strict no weapons policy, but they provide a lock-up for us, kind of off property.

When I'm at an area I can't walk onto I rent a small public storgae as close as possible and go there each day. Only one facility has a lock-up and that is because it is near the range.

Definitely need to check your local laws as you could also be facing criminal charges if caught!
    In Texas if you are working security your CHL is completely irrelevant. While working the only thing that matters is the relevant sections of the Occupation Code. If something happens and you are discovered you can lose your weapon, lose your CHL, and lose your security license which would also of course mean your job. They don't play games with stuff like that.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Although I understand that today your original statement is true, it shouldn't be that way.

Just like we require employers to provide a safe work environment etc., employers should not be allowed to violate basic human rights such as the right to defend one's self. I think at most, an employer should be allowed to ban open cary and possibly an option to fire if obviously revealed iff you could convince me that this wouldn't be used to out people somehow.

I also might be convinced that sole proprietorships might be able to do what they want.

I would have to chime in and say, yes, they can fire you. You could always look for an employer that would let you carry. I would also like to say you might check your state laws. In some states, it's no big deal....they find out and they fire you....in other states it might be against the law and you could lose your weapon and go to jail. If convicted, you may not be able to own one ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cycler View Post
    Although I understand that today your original statement is true, it shouldn't be that way.

Just like we require employers to provide a safe work environment etc., employers should not be allowed to violate basic human rights such as the right to defend one's self. I think at most, an employer should be allowed to ban open cary and possibly an option to fire if obviously revealed iff you could convince me that this wouldn't be used to out people somehow.

I also might be convinced that sole proprietorships might be able to do what they want.
    private property is private property. It doesn't matter whether it's one owner or a huge group of owners. Property owners get to set the perameters for their property. You can choose to disregard but property owners can then choose to evict you. Property rights supercede (or at least should) all other rights. You have a right to free speech but if I don't like what you are saying I can have you removed from my house.
    All our rights stem from our right to own and control our property. Speech: owning and controling your body.
    2 nd: owning and and controling physical possessions.
    If you are willing to have the gunverment come and remove someones property rights so that you can do what you want on their property then don't be supprised when someone comes to take you rights so they can do as they please with your property

IBTL

In Before The Lock....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links