Does my employer have the right to fire me for carrying at work? - Page 4

Does my employer have the right to fire me for carrying at work?

This is a discussion on Does my employer have the right to fire me for carrying at work? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yes....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Does my employer have the right to fire me for carrying at work?

Yes.

I am a Security Officer who wears a generic uniform to work. The policy says that I cant carry while wearing the company logo & in uniform. Slacks, Blazer, white shirt w/tie, and a generic Badge is all it consists of. The only logo I wear would be on my company issued Bomber Jacket. I usually only wear it onsite, and leave it in my locker. I wear my personal coat in transit. I have decided to start taking the train to work and will not be doing so unarmed. I was wondering if I am in a grey area where my company policy is concerned?

As I stated before, its a generic uniform (no company logos) used by several security companies. I only carry my weapon on me on the way to/from work, and lock it up safe/securely once on property. The rail system is pretty rowdy late at night when I get off work(11p.m. Dallas,Tx time). I feel if my company isn't paying for a cab to get me home safely, or providing free pick up/drop off service for me then I am within my rights once I leave the site I am assigned to. Would I be correct with this assumption?
    Don't Knock The HU$TLE! When all else fails, I have a HU$TLER's Ambition! When the economy goes to crap, I will maintain and u wont! The hunger I have to survive, and your inability to handle the struggles we have ahead is what seperates you & I!

I hope this was not off topic!
    Don't Knock The HU$TLE! When all else fails, I have a HU$TLER's Ambition! When the economy goes to crap, I will maintain and u wont! The hunger I have to survive, and your inability to handle the struggles we have ahead is what seperates you & I!

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I saw the other thread on this that was closed and thought I’d open up another topic. I carry at work, the management is not aware that I carry at work and would probably fire me on the spot if they found out. I accept this as a possible consequence of my violating company policy and I understand that I may lose my job over this.

I believe that my employer has the right to set conditions of employment and I agreed to be bound by those conditions when I accepted the position.

The reason I opened this thread is to encourage debate among those W/ opposing viewpoints.
    Why would you want to carry a gun at work unless you are a cop...I mean is it that dangerous at your job?...plus with all the idiots shooting people at work when they get fired why would you want to scare your fellow workers. Just leave it in the car it makes more sense.

Hustlenomics,
    Best option would be to wear civilian clothes to and from work and change into and out of uniform on site. That way there would be less for them to interpret.
    If you never have their clothes on while you have a weapon in your posession it would be hard for them to claim you violated their policy.
    Also, check your company policy about weapons on the property. You could be in violation even leaving it in your locker.
    Employment here is "at will" whether the assumption is correct or not does not matter. All that matters is what your employer says.
    I'd say your best bet really is to get your level three commision and get an armed assignment. Then the problem is solved.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Hustlenomics,
    Best option would be to wear civilian clothes to and from work and change into and out of uniform on site. That way there would be less for them to interpret.
    If you never have their clothes on while you have a weapon in your posession it would be hard for them to claim you violated their policy.
    Also, check your company policy about weapons on the property. You could be in violation even leaving it in your locker.
    Employment here is "at will" whether the assumption is correct or not does not matter. All that matters is what your employer says.
    I'd say your best bet really is to get your level three commision and get an armed assignment. Then the problem is solved.
    Well, my on site Supervisor is aware of my plans, and does not mind me having the weapon on site as long a its secure & I will not be carrying on duty. Property management has no decals about no guns at entrys, so I assume they have no rules against it.

I will look deeper into the company/Property Management policy. I also will consider possibly changing into my personal clothes instead of wearing the uniform to/from work. My supervisor has given me the go ahead to carry, and lock up weapon once on site. I just wondered what would happen if a shooting ever occurred off site, and my employer got wind of the details and starts questioning me?

Employer: Are you Carrying a weapon on duty?

HU$TLE: No!

Employer: Well how were you able to access a weapon to defend yourself against the attack on the train?

HU$TLE: I DO NOT CARRY ON DUTY, but I do have TX CHL, and legally conceal a weapon in transit to & from work. I have a dangerous route I travel, and wear no company logos while off job site. My weapon is locked in a small safe inside my locker(which has its own Master lock on it) at all times once I arrive on site.

__Its this line of questioning after a possible incident from superiors not at the job site with me daily, that I am more worried about than anything. I have a good reputation as a officer who shows good judgement, and responsibility. Maybe I would get the benefit of the doubt as long as the client has no problem with this issue. The client is actually more important to me, as I am basically an officer that comes with the building, and if Security Companies change, I'd likely be staying over with the new company.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cliffyp View Post
    Allowed, Yes. Forced, No.

Wow. Do your wife and pastor know your opinion?

When companies get as big as they do today, we don't have options. You can't just leave and find another job without moving to a cabin in the woods.

I chose a neighborhood without a Walmart because I think they're "part of the problem" with America. In spite of the whole community banding together to keep them out of our community they're here now anyway. What happened to my choice?

The problem with a truly free market is that it ends up with pure monopolies that own the workforce. It's happened in the past (think robber barons) and would continue to go in that direction unless checked by us. The only means to do this is through government for the reasons you stated earlier.

Walmart has an annual revenue of over $4,000,000,000 that's Four Billion Dollars. They are so large and powerful that they can and have wiped out long standing American companies with the single stroke of a pen (rubbermaid comes to mind). Their practices are one of the biggest reasons we have so many Chinese imports. They will continue these practices until America's dry.

Basically, I'm disagreeing with your premise that we have a choice. Technically, we do. We can chose to live outside of American society and live off the land. If I want to maintain a reasonable lifestyle similar to the one I have now, I'm effectively forced to work for one of these companies.

The company I work for right now isn't too bad, it's actually pretty good. However, let's say I want to leave for philosophical reasons. Unemployment in Michigan is an effective 25% and through no fault of mine, I now owe more on my home than what it's worth (put 20% down when we purchased). Where is my choice?

We've seen a lot of good through the passage of certain regulations of large business: anti Trust, anti collusion, anti price fixing, Labor (I know you disagree) etc. As a society we'd be doing ourselves a big favor to push the line further in our favor. CC at a public/private workplace is one of the ways we could make things better for us.

Yes, we do all benefit from what big business brings to us but, they're also so powerful that when the screw up or pull a fast one, the whole planet is plunged into darkness. We could all be a lot better off and the the business leaders would still be richer than God, they just wouldn't be richer than God and Jesus combined.

p.s. I know I'm speaking to a bunch of closed minds here so I won't bother adding a dissenting viewpoint to this thread anymore. Have a nice love fest.

Does my employer have the right to fire me for carrying at work?
    I carry at work, the management is not aware that I carry at work and ... I accept this as a possible consequence of my violating company policy ...

I believe that my employer has the right to set conditions of employment and I agreed to be bound by those conditions when I accepted the position.
    You've pretty much got all you need to know, right there.

Dozens of valid opinions were presented in the other discussion thread. Can't imagine what else will be presented here that will alter anything.

The company owns/controls the property. You likely live in an "at will" state, in regards employment law. You and the company have an agreement of cash for labor, with terms. You're violating those terms. You keep questioning why a firm has any ground to stand on.

Cope, or not. In the end, that's what you've got.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

As a production manager in a facility with approx 100 employees and the company policy stating that there are no weapons allowed on company property. I would be impelled to fire an employee for carrying at work or even seeing a gun in the employees vehicle. That said; I am under the same restrictions that the other employees are. Would it be hypocritical for me to terminate an employee for possessing a weapon on company property while choosing to ignore the same policy. Probably so, but if you choose to do so you must be ready to face the consequences as I am.

Quote Originally Posted by black knife View Post
    Why would you want to carry a gun at work unless you are a cop...I mean is it that dangerous at your job?...

plus with all the idiots shooting people at work when they get fired why would you want to scare your fellow workers. Just leave it in the car it makes more sense.
    Is this not contradictory?

Quote Originally Posted by sigpack View Post
    Is this not contradictory?
    Your comment seems to show another reason why one should be allowed to carry on the job. As far as others being afraid, well thats a situation where one should be carrying concealed. Besides if a nutzo co-worker shows up and starts blasting away, its likely that several will be injured or killed before Security or LEOs show up on scene.

I would not advise that person in that situation that is carrying concealed to be a hero, but if that nutzo employee is making his way into his/her direction Id be sure to act accordinly at that point . Down goes the BG , I ended the situation, and maybe the boss appreciates my preventing more injuries or even deaths . I realize I would be taking a huge chance on losing my job by drawing my own weapon to stop this guy. But would you rather lose your Job or lose your life?

Quote Originally Posted by HUSTLEnomics View Post
    Your comment seems to show another reason why one should be allowed to carry on the job. As far as others being afraid, well thats a situation where one should be carrying concealed. Besides if a nutzo co-worker shows up and starts blasting away, its likely that several will be injured or killed before Security or LEOs show up on scene.

I would not advise that person in that situation that is carrying concealed to be a hero, but if that nutzo employee is making his way into his/her direction Id be sure to act accordinly at that point . Down goes the BG , I ended the situation, and maybe the boss appreciates my preventing more injuries or even deaths . I realize I would be taking a huge chance on losing my job by drawing my own weapon to stop this guy. But would you rather lose your Job or lose your life?
    Sorry but I don't want a guy carrying a gun at work whose only training consists of shooting paper targets at a local gun range or empty beer cans out in the fields....

VIP Member
    Sorry but I don't want a guy carrying a gun at work whose only training consists of shooting paper targets at a local gun range or empty beer cans out in the fields....

Boy here we go again,

Your sounding a lot like an LEO on his high horse
    {Do as I say Not as I do], I'm better than you,

Please correct me if I'm wrong,

Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." St. Augustine
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Well, not everyone can be surounded by a team of Delta operators. Are you saying that given the choice of a person with a weapon and limited tactical training and no one having a weapon except the homicidal maniac you would prefer the maniac be the only one armed?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Well, you ont know if thats the case tho. Maybe they are ex-military, or maybe they have ha more extensive training than you mention. Regardless of all this, your comfort is not more important than someone elses comfort, let alone they're life. If a person is eemed to be a competent indiviual an hols a CCL, then as long as they are not hurting anyone, an only brings that fire arm out in efense of theyre own life then why is this discomforting to you?

What if a person is being stalked by a violent offener on the job? Maybe this person has nearly killed this employee in the past. Maybe the job oes not provide any security or LE presence on site. Whatever the case, this employee has no protection leaving the building on way to the employees vehicle or on the way to nearest bust stop/train station. The company wont protect them, and neither will you. The world is not fairy tale land where all things will be good. I have known people hurt & even killed in these very situations.

Guns don't always prevent this issues & consequences, but they give you a chance. Worrying about the comfort of persons who are not threatened, and deciding not go armed puts u a an immediate disadvantage facing attack if other person is armed or is considerably stronger, or maybe can simply just severaly kick your butt.

__Companies have right to control there sites with policy, but not the public property that there employees must travel. Companies employee's comfort is the last thing thing that they will ever be worried about. The risk of accidental injury or death is the main reason these companies have these policies(Fear of Law Suits) IMHO.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links