Does my employer have the right to fire me for carrying at work?

This is a discussion on Does my employer have the right to fire me for carrying at work? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I saw the other thread on this that was closed and thought I’d open up another topic. I carry at work, the management is not ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

I saw the other thread on this that was closed and thought I’d open up another topic. I carry at work, the management is not aware that I carry at work and would probably fire me on the spot if they found out. I accept this as a possible consequence of my violating company policy and I understand that I may lose my job over this.

I believe that my employer has the right to set conditions of employment and I agreed to be bound by those conditions when I accepted the position.

The reason I opened this thread is to encourage debate among those W/ opposing viewpoints.

JD
    Administrator
    In short, YES. They have the right to fire you, especially if you are violating company policy.

Senior Moderator
    Can you be fired for carrying at work in violation of your employer's policies?

Short answer: Yes.
    Long answer: Yes.
    Mid-length answer: Yes.

There's a pattern there....

Frankly, this topic is ready to join the list of wastes of bandwidth that have been done over and over again, just like:

9mm v .45?
    How to do you use the restroom with your gun on your belt?
    Chambered or not?

On a more serious note - if this thread even hints at going down the road that the last one went (which seems inevitable), it's going to suffer the same fate. So please, no ad hom nonsense - discuss the topic and not one another.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    In short, YES. They have the right to fire you, especially if you are violating company policy.
    Yep...IMO this is really a no brainer and not much for disucssion. They say no...well no means no.

You go against thier wishs and regulations..and they find out?..well?

If you say to somebody not to do something in your house as such....you expect them to respect that request, no?. If they don't and blantently disrespect your wish's...... would you not ask them to leave?

Quote Originally Posted by Frogbones View Post
    Yep...IMO this is really a no brainer and not much for disucssion. They say no...well no means no.

You go against thier wishs and regulations..and they find out?..well?

If you say to somebody not to do something in your house as such....you expect them to respect that request, no?. If they don't and blantently disrespect your wish's...... would you not ask them to leave?

+1 well said
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Why I started this thread

This is an important topic but, unfortunately, is closed by request from the OP.
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.
    Apparently one of the admins felt that this topic was important and really didn't want to close the other thread on it and only did so because the OP requested it.

I opened this thread to give an opportunity to continue the disscussion.

As I've read thru these "carry at work threads" I can't see how some would risk loosing their job in a time where the unemployment rate is 10% or higher?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

At the risk of losing your job, in an economy that is NOT conducive to an over abundance of new employment opportunities, I'm not sure I would risk carrying at work, when the employers policy is obviously "NO you can't carry". There is a time and a place to challenge authority, and IMHO this may not be that time nor place. JMO.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I can't carry at work because it's illegal (state law). If it were just a company policy, I might have to think about the ease of finding another job. What do you think? Do you feel lucky?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

In violation of company policy? They certainly do.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Of course they can dismiss you. That is their right as your employer. If they believe you are a liability to the company they can terminate your employment!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

It all depends on the state law and how that blends with company policy.

Some states require written warning notices, and a record of violations before they can fire you. Depends on whether you have a labor contract or are employed at will.

If it is only company policy and you're discrete, why would they know? The only way they would know is if you stopped a deranged killer at a board meeting before the CEO and BD were all killed. How could they possibly fire you then?
    The People Think the Constitution Protects Their Rights;
    Government See IT as an Obstacle to be Over-come.

IMHO if you want to challenge a company policy hire a lawyer, but don't tempt fate. If you break the rules don't complain if you get fired, it's no skin off my nose either way. Martyrs may be inspirational but are rarely useful.
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

Your quesiton has been answered, yep, they have the right to fire you if you break company policy.

I will go further to say that in states that are right to work states, which really means right to fire, the employer can fire you for any darn reason they see fit.

So this is really not worth rehashing, and after 100+ posts in the other thread it pretty much has been covered. If your job is critical to your families survival, go ahead and risk it, but don't whine when you get
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I saw the other thread on this that was closed and thought I’d open up another topic. I carry at work, the management is not aware that I carry at work and would probably fire me on the spot if they found out. I accept this as a possible consequence of my violating company policy and I understand that I may lose my job over this.

I believe that my employer has the right to set conditions of employment and I agreed to be bound by those conditions when I accepted the position.

The reason I opened this thread is to encourage debate among those W/ opposing viewpoints.
    This isn't even debateable...the short answer is yes, an employer can terminate. We don't have to like it, support it, or whatever...doesn't change the fact that the right to terminate is there.
    "I'm a big, hairy, American winning machine!" - Ricky Bobby

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links