Carrying Concealed

This is a discussion on Carrying Concealed within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone i'm new to the site. Alright I am going to be giving speech, to an audience, i will be explaining to the people ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying Concealed

Carrying Concealed

Hey everyone i'm new to the site. Alright I am going to be giving speech, to an audience, i will be explaining to the people why people should be able to have a concealed weapon permit, and why it is a good thing. Basically persuade these people to think its a good thing to have. Which i STRONGLEY believe it is. I figure i would ask your opinions and ideas because many brains are better then my one. Thanks everyone.

2. Remove Ads

Every mass public shooting has happened at a "gun free zone" whether it was Stockton, California, Columbine, Colorado or Ft. Hood, Texas.
    If there are 1,000 people present and a random and unknown number MIGHT be armed, a killer might think about a safer place to kill people.
    Even if a killer decided to shoot up a school or work-place, somebody would shoot and stop them more quickly that waiting for the police to arrive.
    People carry guns not to go to dangerous places [except for police and soldiers whose duty that is] but because danger can come to you anywhere, any time.
    The People Think the Constitution Protects Their Rights;
    Government See IT as an Obstacle to be Over-come.

Welcome...

from Central Florida!

Reasearch on the i-Net and forums like this...do lots of reading and prepare yourself well. You certainly wouldn't want others to tell you what to say, you'd be 'reading' your opinion and that would look 'cheap'.
    If you want to come off as realistic, you should be able to tell US why one should have a CCW permit. Practice on a few of your friends and let them ask you questions...the prepare some more.
    Good luck with your speech.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Just scan this and other sites, noting the subjects, and you'll get all the opinions, without a lack of facts, regardless of feeeeelllinnnggggsss, that you need. CCW booklets give you the basics too, with restrictions, responsibilities, ramifications and possible consequences of using a weapon for self defense. You can also use media stories about what happens to innocent unarmed people when mean people do bad things to them and their property, without fear of being shot, knowing that the victims whom they harm are unarmed.

There was a similar thread about a year ago where a student was making a similar speech in his HS class. Everyone gave him tons of good ideas. Try searching for it. Also look up stats from John Lott, he is an economist and stat guy from University of Maryland. He is full of information. There is also some good stats out of Texas on crimes committed (very very low) by CCWer from a five year study. Stats say CCWer are less likely to commit a crime than LEOs by a huge margin. I think that goes to the integrity of CCWers. It also says that if I'm spending 500+ dollars for a CCW permit I'm not going to lose it by breaking the law.

I would suggest that CCW shall issue states have a reduced DUI effect because CCWers don't want to risk their permits. The two biggest reasons to lose a permit here in CO is alcohol and domestic violence.

Talk about how the SC ruled that the PD has no responsibility to protect individuals. Cite City of Castle Rock, CO versus Gonzales (google it). Talk about how the police are only minutes away when seconds count.

Lookup the number of gun owners over time versus accidental gun deaths, you will see that ownership is expanding exponentially and accidental deaths are plummeting. I suggest due to training for CCW classes.

Good luck

i've been getting facts, and stuff from other internet sites, and i have been reading. I basically want to make sure i haven't missed anything. I've had good luck in the past with forums, and helping me out with speeches, I don't want to use what you guys say, but sometimes i'll have an idea and not know exactly how to say it, then you guys say my idea and have it down to a tee.

Criminals with no regard for laws against murder certainly have no regard for laws about guns. They do not adhere to gun free zones or no weapons signs. Concealed Carry Permits are for LAW ABIDING CITIZENS who have had training in safe gun handling practices, gun laws, and self-defense laws and respect and abide by such. With the right to bear arms comes huge responsibilities that the Concealed Carry Permit holder takes very seriously. Since obtaining my CCP, I have become more cautious, courteous, careful, respectful, and situationally aware. I approach every situation or encounter assuming that the other person(s) are also CCP holders carrying and I go out of my way to de-escalate. The use of lethal force is reserved for a situation in which it is the absolute last resort. In my state, it is only justified to draw your weapon and/or use your weapon when ALL of the following criteria have been met:

1) You did not instigate/contribute to the situation.
    2) You have retreated as far as possible.
    3) You have communicated your desire for peace.
    4) The level of defense (lethal) is commensurate to the level of threat (lethal).
    5) You felt your life was in danger and had no other choice.

Whether those criteria are in any given state's law regarding the use of lethal force, it should be a good guideline for all CCP holders. I've carried firearms for many years and I've never had to draw a weapon...and I pray I never do.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

bug dude i think most of us pray we never have to draw, but if its life or death, i think we would all draw

If you're not absolutely sure that you can or will if those criteria are met, then you should not own a gun. That's where the huge responsibility comes into play. My wife says she doesn't think she could shoot someone, therefore, she does not have a gun or it would be used against her. That's worse than not having one.

yes, i believe you are correct. Well if they take our guns away i'll be going down before they can take mine.

VIP Member
    If the purpose of your speech is to measure how well you present, then focus on those aspects of effective public speaking. If the subject matter is the purpose of your talk, then present facts and statistics that may lead your audience to draw conclusions that support your position. Be specific to events and news articles in your area that demonstrate vulnerabilities to the public. Instances whereby citizens would have been saved had they been trained and armed to protect themselves. Anyway, just a few pointers from a former motor-mouth.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

In my job, I give many presentations to large numbers of people. I recommend a lot of research and coming up with an outline that systematically builds your point. Then fill in the details of the outline. This way, as your presentation continues each point is building upon previous points to a concise conclusion. There are some very helpful folks on this site and others and lots of useful information available. I would try to minimize emotion and stick to facts, logic, and fundamental rationale. I hope some of the insights have been helpful.

bugdude your insights are very, The people i'm presenting to are looking at both my presentation skills, and the material. Plus i like to give facts i plan on using little emotion. But i would like to grab this emotion. I plan on getting a NRA magazine i have laying around and getting the armed citizens articles out of there

As for any subject, know your facts, know the statistics for the case you're making. Be prepared to field questions. Be able to cite stories where a CCWer could have saved lives, like Virginia Tech, or where a CCer did save an innocent life.

It's a dangerous world, and we the innocent have to live in it.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I live near Virginia Tech, and my wife was on the campus that morning. She also worked at the hospital near there when the inmate overpowered an officer in a bathroom, shot a hospital security guard, escaped, and later shot a police officer (I work with his partner's wife). The WalMart that we shop at an estranged boyfriend walked in and shot his former girlfriend (a walmart employee) in the head at point blank range and executed her right in front of the customer service desk at the front of the store. These are real events in places that I and my family frequent. Too close to home to ignore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links