First time CCW with a loaded weapon - Page 2

First time CCW with a loaded weapon

This is a discussion on First time CCW with a loaded weapon within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Much better than carrying with a Unloaded weapon!!! Keep i up, pretty soon you will feel naked without it. NCH...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Much better than carrying with a Unloaded weapon!!! Keep i up, pretty soon you will feel naked without it.

NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Congratulations!

Soon it'll feel completely normal and you won't even notice you have your gun on you...
    This is true, especially with a very small gun, yet you DO want to keep in mind you have a lethal weapon on you. Like everything else in life - especially driving - things get so unconscious you can be unsafe.

By the way, I don't think carrying empty as a prelude for carrying loaded for a short period is bad. I did, maybe four or five days. Got me used to the feel of the gun, and where best to wear it on the belt, so I then could used to the sense of loaded gun without distraction or fiddling with a loaded gun. Sort of under the "step-by-step" category.

jtheise4 on your first day of truly CC in ready status. I'm sure we can all remember the first time for us too.

Just some curiosity here. Did you have the revolver completely unloaded or just missing the round next up?

Anyway, keep that tool at the ready and carry it daily. Stay safe.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    You will find the adage ‘Murphy’s Law’ is used quite often in relation to firearms and it would be someone’s dumb luck to need their gun when it’s unloaded.

As for people checking you out now that you carry, is strictly psychological. Fact is; nobody is expecting you to be carrying. Now if your zipper is down people will notice! Typically, I'll notice a CC when someone stands up from a restaurant table as their shirt hikes up and displays a 4-o’clock carry.

Note to self: Treat my hip carry as though it was my zipper.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Congradulations! You have taken a very big step. I have been reading magazines and other references and thinking about concealed carry for a long time, 10 years or so and finally made my decision in May of this year. I've been carrying my S&W 649 almost every day since then. I've really come to appreciate my Galco holsters, both IWB and OWB.

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post

By the way, I don't think carrying empty as a prelude for carrying loaded for a short period is bad. I did, maybe four or five days. Got me used to the feel of the gun, and where best to wear it on the belt, so I then could used to the sense of loaded gun without distraction or fiddling with a loaded gun. Sort of under the "step-by-step" category.
    I agree also. I know an unloaded gun is useless (unless you need to use it as a hammer or something). It may even be dangerous in some situations (say if the BG notices you are carrying and decides to target you). I just think that a person new to carrying should jump right into it if they are not 100% comfortable. This can be dangerous for that person and everyone around them.

Welcome to the club.

Semper Fi

Congrats on the CC! Nice to see another local who's prepared to protect themselves if need-be. Especially with a good IWB holster, you'll be hard pressed to be "made" out in public. The longer you carry, the more comfortable you'll get, and the better off you'll be.
    With the holidays coming up, 'tis the season for an increase in criminal activity and a great time to CC.

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post

Note to self: Treat my hip carry as though it was my zipper.
    Regards,
    Better be carefull at the urnial, this could be a problem.
    Sorry I couldn't resist!

Congrats! And good job in taking steps necessary for YOU to get used to and feel more comfortable before going "live." But now that you know that your gun won't fall out and an accident is pretty unlikely, don't ever go empty again! LOL jk, be safe.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Like flying a plane with passengers, for the first time, or riding one on the back of a motorcycle, I suddenly felt that serious weight of responsibility, to other people besides myself, considering the consquences of an accident or of making a mistake, or a ******* assumption due to danger and confusion. Do not panic. Good luck. Note: We rarely if ever consider the greater danger to others presented or prevented by our driving cars, far more dangerous than guns, statistically speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    Better be carefull at the urnial, this could be a problem.
    Sorry I couldn't resist!
    Shoot the toilet and piss on the BG
    $cris@caferacer>wakeup.sh
    sudo apt-get install caffeine
    Password:
    Unpacking...
    Caffeine installed correctly
    $cris@caferacer>startday.sh

Quote Originally Posted by joepa150 View Post
    I agree also. I know an unloaded gun is useless (unless you need to use it as a hammer or something). It may even be dangerous in some situations (say if the BG notices you are carrying and decides to target you). I just think that a person new to carrying should jump right into it if they are not 100% comfortable. This can be dangerous for that person and everyone around them.
    I have to agree with you, take a little time and carry it unloaded a while. It gives you an opportunity to make adjustments and such and ease yourself into the lifestyle (since thats really what it is) of carrying. If it makes someone feel more comfortable to carry empty for a few days then so be it.

Enjoy and congrats!

Alex!

For me carrying a firearm is like making sure you have your wallet or watch on. If you choose to carry, always carry!

I always wonder why people say "i was just going to check the mail, etc. I don't need my gun" You can't choose when or where something might happen so you must always be prepared.

Congrats on making the decision to have the tools necessary to protect yourself and loved ones!!!
    TheWeaponCompany.com
    Handcrafted Holsters and Carriers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links