First time CCW with a loaded weapon - Page 3

First time CCW with a loaded weapon

This is a discussion on First time CCW with a loaded weapon within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I agree it is akward at first when carrying for the first few weeks, always thinking people are looking at you or the fear that ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First time CCW with a loaded weapon

I agree it is akward at first when carrying for the first few weeks, always thinking people are looking at you or the fear that someone will freak out if a bump or profile shows from under a shirt. The more you carry, the more you work with different holsters, you will find one that really works for you, and that you are comfortable with. It took me awhile, but doing well now!

Quote Originally Posted by CarryOptions View Post
    For me carrying a firearm is like making sure you have your wallet or watch on....
    Not so sure about the watch part, but if I forget my wallet and not my weapon, I'm screwed if I end up talking to LE for any reason. Woopsies!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I have an M&P9c with a Supertuck and even though I can see a slight bulge, I think that most people think that it is nothing more than a cell phone (if they think about it at all). I have only been carrying a few months and I do still occasionally wonder if I'm printing, but I've never had anyone ask me so I guess I'm not.

As far as carrying unloaded, I wore mine around the house for several days, unloaded, for the same reason of wanting to get comfortable with the whole concept. I now have no problem carrying it with one in the pipe. Just like everything else, practice, practice, practice.
    I am the Walrus...Goo Goo Goo Joob

“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” –Benjamin Franklin

Jthiese 4 "in the mall" unless you have that little check mark that allows you to carry in the pistol-free zones, you were carrying in one of them. Malls are pistol free zones..don't want you getting in any trouble :-)

Quote Originally Posted by mel5051 View Post
    Jthiese 4 "in the mall" unless you have that little check mark that allows you to carry in the pistol-free zones, you were carrying in one of them. Malls are pistol free zones..don't want you getting in any trouble :-)
    That depends on your state. In Florida, it is not unlawful to carry in a mall unless it has been clearly posted by the management of that mall. Best way to know for sure in your state is to go to Handgunlaw.us and read the summary on your state and follow the links to your state's website to verify.

“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.” –Benjamin Franklin

Both of us are in Michigan

I saw that the poster was in Michigan, as I am, and here in Michigan unless you have the box checked that you are exempted from the pistol free zones, you can not carry in a mall unless you are working in that mall and the mall wants you armed, or, you are working in a store in the mall and they want you armed and even then you can only carry while in that store, not in the mall proper.

The post wasn't meant as a criticism, it was just to help keep the poster out of a Felony charge

Mel

I saw that the poster was in Michigan, as I am, and here in Michigan unless you have the box checked that you are exempted from the pistol free zones, you can not carry in a mall unless you are working in that mall and the mall wants you armed, or, you are working in a store in the mall and they want you armed and even then you can only carry while in that store, not in the mall proper.

The post wasn't meant as a criticism, it was just to help keep the poster out of a Felony charge

Mel
    Yeah, I don't think that I was very clear either. My message was to all those that read this thread, just a reminder that you have to check your state's laws and a good plug for Handgunlaw.us (which I love). I had a feeling that you might have been in the same state, but I wanted to mention that it wasn't true everywhere.

No insult intended (although, I don't think you took it as such).

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    jtheise4 on your first day of truly CC in ready status. I'm sure we can all remember the first time for us too.

Just some curiosity here. Did you have the revolver completely unloaded or just missing the round next up?

Anyway, keep that tool at the ready and carry it daily. Stay safe.

GBK
    It was completely empty.

Unless the rules have changed and the MSP has not updated the website, a mall is NOT a pistol free zone.

MSP - Pistol Free Areas

I was completely incorrect about carrying in a Mall and wish to publicly apologize to jtheise4 and the forum for the totally incorrect information I posted about Michigan pistol free zones.

Mel

I was completely incorrect about carrying in a Mall and wish to publicly apologize to jtheise4 and the forum for the totally incorrect information I posted about Michigan pistol free zones.

Mel
    Mel,
    No need to aplogize. You were just trying to keep me safe and avoid a trip to jail! Its hard to keep up on the latest carry laws. Thanks for your input.

You have to be careful with malls!!! Some are CEZ's (criminal empowerment zones) and some aren't. Since it is private property, they can ban weapons. I know that there are several malls in SE michigan that do ban weapons, even with a CPL. Do some research, looking over the signs at the enterances. I have CC'e and OC'd in some malls where legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jblack44 View Post
    You have to be careful with malls!!! Some are CEZ's (criminal empowerment zones) and some aren't. Since it is private property, they can ban weapons. I know that there are several malls in SE michigan that do ban weapons, even with a CPL. Do some research, looking over the signs at the enterances. I have CC'e and OC'd in some malls where legal.
    You're correct that any private business can post a sign and ban guns on their property. CCW on property with a sign is not a violation of CCW laws, but you could be arrested for trespassing, although most likely, you'll just be kicked out.

Quote Originally Posted by jtheise4 View Post
    You're correct that any private business can post a sign and ban guns on their property. CCW on property with a sign is not a violation of CCW laws, but you could be arrested for trespassing, although most likely, you'll just be kicked out.
    I agree, usually you are just asked to leave. But this should be done by someone with actual athourity to do so. And I would follow up with a written request of the policy. The best thing to do is check the entrances for a sign prohibiting it, if none is there then I would assume it's legal until told otherwise.

CC

Congrats on the new CC and gun.
    I IWB at (4 oclock) carry . To check the guns position, I put my hand into my pocket as if I was getting something out, and the side of my arm is against the gun. My holster carriesthe gun low, and the trigger gard is below belt level inside the holster. Only half the grip would be visible if my shirt rode up. I also wear my cell on a holster just ahead of the holster. Helps concealment.
    I was a two-way radio technician years ago, and the IWB was so comfortable, that I forget and walked into a police station on a night call-out while carrying. I noticed it, and said I forgot something in the car, and locked the gun into the glove box.
    Don't get too comfortable carrying.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links