First time CCW with a loaded weapon

This is a discussion on First time CCW with a loaded weapon within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carried my CCW loaded for the first time in public today while Christmas shopping. I'm new to the whole CCW thing and carried once ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First time CCW with a loaded weapon

I carried my CCW loaded for the first time in public today while Christmas shopping. I'm new to the whole CCW thing and carried once before, but the firearm was unloaded (I know that's silly, but as I'm sure most of you can relate, carrying a weapon can be a pretty intense feeling that I wanted to ease into). I have a Ruger LCR and carried it using a CrossBreed SuperTuck holster. I was very aware that I was carrying at first, but once I passed my first couple hundred people in the mall without anyone screaming, 'AHHHHH, he has a gun!!!!', I realized that no one had a clue (as should be the case!). There have been several robberies in the area at local shopping centers, so it was very comforting knowing I had the tools with me to protect myself and my wife. This will be the first of many, many times I carry.

LOL, same thing we all went through. I was sure every person I saw was staring at my gun. Each day you carry you will become less nervous. People around you are so busy going about doing what that they're doing, that they have no idea that you are carrying. Enjoy.
    Glock 22, Glock 23, S&W SW40VE, S&W SD9VE, Kahr CM9, Del Ton Echo 316 AR15.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    It doesn't take long to realize no one else knows or really cares.

Just resist the urge to keep checking or adjusting you carry. Then people will notice and get nervous and start pointing you out.

Concealed means concealed. Don't draw undue attention to yourself unless required to take action.

Congratulations on the carrying. Be armed and be careful!
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Congratulations!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I would never carry an unloaded firearm, why?
    Congrats on today's CCW...soon it will just be like taking your wallet and watch.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by digitalexplr View Post
    It doesn't take long to realize no one else knows or really cares.

Just resist the urge to keep checking or adjusting you carry. Then people will notice and get nervous and start pointing you out.

Concealed means concealed. Don't draw undue attention to yourself unless required to take action.

Congratulations on the carrying. Be armed and be careful!
    Most people won't even notice no matter what you do. If you have a license, no reason to worry about the police.

The average shopper doesn't know bulge from printing. Concealed is concealed and unless you look like an armed robber [ski mask when there is no blizzard] most people will pay you no attention.

At my age, I don't walk smoothly like Fred Astaire anymore, so if my walk is a little stiff, is that my bad back and gimp knee or the gun at my waist?

Congrats on using a good holster with a "pocket pistol" because the holster is an essential part of the safe carrying of any pistol.
    You only have 6 shots, so if you haven't bought some extra magazines [and tested them for function] that should be a priority. A magazine pouch keeps the dirt and lint out so the magazine doesn't jam, so that is important too.
    The People Think the Constitution Protects Their Rights;
    Government See IT as an Obstacle to be Over-come.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I would never carry an unloaded firearm, why?
    I agree with you 100%. Carrying an unloaded firearm doesn't make much sense. Up until that point, I had never carried a weapon except for in the field hunting, so it was more to put my mind at ease that I wasn't going to be bumping into something and snagging the trigger. Again, logically, I knew that was stupid, but sometimes logic doesn't loses out to fear.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Macklin View Post
    Congrats on using a good holster with a "pocket pistol" because the holster is an essential part of the safe carrying of any pistol.
    You only have 6 shots, so if you haven't bought some extra magazines [and tested them for function] that should be a priority. A magazine pouch keeps the dirt and lint out so the magazine doesn't jam, so that is important too.
    Actually, with the LCR, I only have 5 shots. I do carry two speedloaders with me, so I have a total of 15 shots...although I hope that I never have to use any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by jtheise4 View Post
    Actually, with the LCR, I only have 5 shots. I do carry two speedloaders with me, so I have a total of 15 shots...although I hope that I never have to use any of them.
    Duh, I still read LCP -LCR wrong.

There are belt cases for the speedloaders or even sandwich bag [not zip lock] if pocket carried. I'd rather pull a clean speedloader from a small bag than try to clear pocket lint from the loader. At least use a pocket cleaned daily and reserved for the ammo.
    The People Think the Constitution Protects Their Rights;
    Government See IT as an Obstacle to be Over-come.

Congratulations on this milestone. Carry as often as you can, legally, and it'll become second nature in no time.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Macklin View Post
    Most people won't even notice no matter what you do. If you have a license, no reason to worry about the police.

The average shopper doesn't know bulge from printing. Concealed is concealed and unless you look like an armed robber [ski mask when there is no blizzard] most people will pay you no attention.

At my age, I don't walk smoothly like Fred Astaire anymore, so if my walk is a little stiff, is that my bad back and gimp knee or the gun at my waist?

I agree with you - Joe and Jill Public are totally oblivious to what is going on around them especially for the large percentage of them that feel they have to be texting everywhere they go.

Good for you. Easing into things...taking the steps. Pretty soon you'll feel naked without your carry. This is as things should be. Always carry, conceal well, be safe, and practice.

VIP Member
    Congrats on your first day of carrying.. Soon it'll feel completely normal and you won't even notice you have your gun on you...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    It is surprising what you can conceal on your body.

The next realization comes when you are so used to carrying you "forget" that heavy cold thing on your belt that always makes you uncomfortable. You just go about your normal business and the firearm doesn't take any of your attention. It is just there - like your shoes.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Good for you. Easing into things...taking the steps. Pretty soon you'll feel naked without your carry. This is as things should be. Always carry, conceal well, be safe, and practice.
    Excellently said. I agree with all of these guys. It will be as natural as carrying your cell phone. Never get complacent about safety. You may find yourself over time having various carry pistols for different situations or manners of carry. Practice shooting and drawing from realistic defense ranges, double tapping, rapid fire, point shooting, etc. and clean your firearm. Pocket lint finds it's way into everything. Congrats!!! These guys give great advice and share their experiences and I've found it very helpful.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links