Printing...?

Printing...?

This is a discussion on Printing...? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First I'd like to quote from the definition of "concealed firearm" from the Florida statute [790.001 (Item 2)]: "...which is carried on or about a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Printing...?

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.

Printing...?

First I'd like to quote from the definition of "concealed firearm" from the Florida statute [790.001 (Item 2)]:
    "...which is carried on or about a person in such a manner as to conceal the firearm from the ordinary sight of another person."

The key point of this definition is "ordinary" sight, which I interpret as plain view or openly exposed.

I see many comments about printing and wonder if some states make mention of it in their statutes on concealed carry.

I understand that printing may be a "bad" thing as far as concealed carry here, but I'm not talking about some 300 lb guy wearing a skin-tight Under Armor shirt with a full-size 1911 stuffed under it. That's a no-brainer in my mind.

I wear a loose, usually patterned shirt (I almost never tuck it in), when I carry since it's hot here. The pattern helps to break up the outline of any printing.

I see many people with some sort of "printing" these days, and it's just as likely to be a holstered cellphone or Ipod as a Glock (or M&P or Sig or whatever). Having previous firearms training (military), I did not have to take the required concealed weapons class to get my CWP. I have heard from those who have that much time was spent on "printing" and it's "legality."

Since Fl. doesn't make any such comment about printing in its statutes, other than avoiding the obvious "I'm packing heat" image, are there any other "legal" concerns? I realize this is a "legal" question and requires a "legal" answer (if you can believe a lawyer) and that other state may vary on "printing" requirements, but I'd like to see some input from others on this subject.

Varies from state to state, some state may require "undetectable" = concealed. Other states, like Kansas only require covered from view. Fifty states and a million cops and 5 million bad guys.
    I've got a license now, so don't care about the cops detecting my gun in Kansas.
    Still I don't want to have to stop every block or two and show my license to a cop.

Pick your clothes the drape well, knits or flannel is better than a white dress shirt.

A dark undershirt helps if the top shirt is light in color or thin. Less contrast of dark gun over white T shirt.
    The People Think the Constitution Protects Their Rights;
    Government See IT as an Obstacle to be Over-come.

Printing is the least of my concerns, and I don't even think about it anymore than I do about my watch or wallet. It's there, it's always covered, and if there is a slight 'bump' over my hip or kidney, so be it...not a problem for me. can't see bumps anyway!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Macklin View Post
    Pick your clothes the drape well, knits or flannel is better than a white dress shirt.

A dark undershirt helps if the top shirt is light in color or thin. Less contrast of dark gun over white T shirt.
    Ha-ha! Flannel and dark Ts? Don't live in S. Fl., I see. Strickly shorts and Ts most of the time. Dark Ts will cook you in this sun.

I don't know. See a lot of kids wearing knitted caps. But then, they're not too smart these days either.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Ha-ha! Flannel and dark Ts? Don't live in S. Fl., I see. Strickly shorts and Ts most of the time. Dark Ts will cook you in this sun.

I don't know. See a lot of kids wearing knitted caps. But then, they're not too smart these days either.
    Let's see what I do here in 110 degree Kansas summer heat...

My Colt is almost black phosphate finish with black rubber Pachmayr grips. I alwasy wear a T shirt as an undershirt, it soaks up perspiration [sweat] and keeps the back and chest hairs from making me look like a porcupine. I wear colored T's, brown, blue, tan and then wear a light blue chambray or a mechanics blue, tan or gray shirt, untucked.

If I was in Florida, I'd buy a Stainless steel [not high polish] 1911 and put white micarta grips on it.
    The People Think the Constitution Protects Their Rights;
    Government See IT as an Obstacle to be Over-come.

I don't know about the legality or illegality of it. I do know that I stopped worrying about a slight bulge where my gun rides a long time ago.

I live in the great state of NY. If anyone sees what they think might be a firearm and calls the cops, I'm going to have to explain what my permit is and means because I doubt most cops in my area have ever seen one.

Then, I can almost guarantee that I'll receive a letter in the mail within a few months telling me to turn over my license, it will have been revoked - permanently.

So yes, I take printing very seriously.
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

Anyone who worries about printing in FL probably runs their mouth about the 3 step rule also.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

Personally I do not care if I print as PA is an open carry state, depending on where Im going, I might have to conceal well, then I just go IWB at 530 and its undetectable.
    ~Steve
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

When I carry, I don't want anyone to know except me.

Quote Originally Posted by schwaa View Post
    3 step rule
    What's a 3-step rule? Don't let a BG within three steps of you? or ...

I print occasionally, which is not illegal here in Kansas. Not a big enough deal to get all worked up over here. I've never had any one say a word or act strange because of it, doubt if most people even notice.

VIP Member

Runs his mouth?

Quote Originally Posted by schwaa View Post
    Anyone who worries about printing in FL probably runs their mouth about the 3 step rule also.
    A bit sarcastic there, are you? How about reading my original post again and see if you can come up with a better reply than your first.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

The law in Co eads about the same as in FL. I conceal my full framed 45 and occasionally I print.
    As a matter of fact the other day I was involved in an accident and when the Sheriff and local pd arrived (must have been bored that day) I was picking up pieces of my ear bumper from the street bent over. After checking everyones dl ins etc the cop pulled me aside and said he noticed I had a firearm and if I had a ccw. I said yes sir went to retreive the license and he said ok just checking.
    I always conceal my weapon but I am not going into deep concealment. If I need it I want it where I can get to it fast and I am within the law.
    Concealed does not mean hidden. So my view is follow the law and don't sweat it. I wonder anyway who started all of this stuff about keep it hidden God forbid you print etc.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    First I'd like to quote from the definition of "concealed firearm" from the Florida statute [790.001 (Item 2)]:
    "...which is carried on or about a person in such a manner as to conceal the firearm from the ordinary sight of another person."

The key point of this definition is "ordinary" sight, which I interpret as plain view or openly exposed.

I see many comments about printing and wonder if some states make mention of it in their statutes on concealed carry.

I understand that printing may be a "bad" thing as far as concealed carry here, but I'm not talking about some 300 lb guy wearing a skin-tight Under Armor shirt with a full-size 1911 stuffed under it. That's a no-brainer in my mind.

I wear a loose, usually patterned shirt (I almost never tuck it in), when I carry since it's hot here. The pattern helps to break up the outline of any printing.

I see many people with some sort of "printing" these days, and it's just as likely to be a holstered cellphone or Ipod as a Glock (or M&P or Sig or whatever). Having previous firearms training (military), I did not have to take the required concealed weapons class to get my CWP. I have heard from those who have that much time was spent on "printing" and it's "legality."

Since Fl. doesn't make any such comment about printing in its statutes, other than avoiding the obvious "I'm packing heat" image, are there any other "legal" concerns? I realize this is a "legal" question and requires a "legal" answer (if you can believe a lawyer) and that other state may vary on "printing" requirements, but I'd like to see some input from others on this subject.

Yeah "ordinary" sight could be anything from only superman can see it, or they have to use the x-ray glasses from the back of the comic book to you can tell the bump has a three finger grip, or at the best case, all part or all of the gun has to be exposed.

Someone here posted the other day about a guy in texas with a holster that was fully exposed, but because it covered the gun completely it was considered "Concealed". That seems wrong to me if its really obvious that it is indeed a holster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links