Extremely nearsighted leading the blind

This is a discussion on Extremely nearsighted leading the blind within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Patience..Patience.. Also remember to build her confidence. Start in close and move back. Remember over 90% of all gunfights take place at less than 22 ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Extremely nearsighted leading the blind

Patience..Patience.. Also remember to build her confidence. Start in close and move back. Remember over 90% of all gunfights take place at less than 22 feet.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by sevesteen
    In fact, our CCW instructor did a similar thing--We were experimenting with the different guns he'd brought along, including his wife's Airweight. I suggested that Wife dry fire first, to get a feel for a DA-only revolver pull. She clicked a couple times, jerking down the first two times, then settling down. He said "Let me adjust the trigger for you". I thought "***?" until I saw that what he'd really done was chamber a single round. She neglected to check whether the gun was empty, (but did keep it properly pointed downrange) clicked a few times, and was very surprised when it went off, and that she hit the target.

I've got snap caps, and I'd already planned to use them once we got to the outdoor range.
    It also helped her quite a bit at first when I stood behind her and coached her to really control the trigger. Nice and easy squeeze, when she was focused on doing that, she stopped jerking.

Training

Their are quite a few good tapes out there on the subject of training. But like ACP suggested dry fire is probably one of the best( make sure the gun is unloaded). It develops a comfort level. Get a piece of paper put a 1 inch circle in the middle of it hang it on the wall at eye level ( where looking through the sights will give you a clear sight picture, now stand where when you draw the weapon from the holster and punch the weapon out the muzzle of it touches the dot now do this until you and your wife can close your eyes and when you open them your weapon is on the dot ( nine out of ten times for this). Then take a step back wards and start all over, what you are doing is developing your mind to stop your arms at a certain level (is no such thing as muscle memory). Do this drill for 5 or 10 minutes at day until your across the room checking your sights as you go. You will be amazed at how well you will do at the range the next time. remember this is self defense shooting not target practice a 9 inch group is perfectly acceptable in this case. Hope this helps you some. Be Safe Out There. Kurt
    [B]Kurt Pietrzak
    [I]Maricopa Shooting Service
    S.W.A.T. ( South West Airsoft Tactical )
    CCW Instructor
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Maricopa ,AZ. 85239

Another old married guy

First post to this forum...you have inspired me to action. My opinion is that there is no alternative to a qualified professional instructor. An experienced teacher will know best how to explain things to a novice, will know what initial bad habits to nip in the bud, and will really save you time and money in the long run, not to mention making you both safer sooner.

Besides...what man can really teach his wife anything?

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by wburychka
    First post to this forum...you have inspired me to action. My opinion is that there is no alternative to a qualified professional instructor. An experienced teacher will know best how to explain things to a novice, will know what initial bad habits to nip in the bud, and will really save you time and money in the long run, not to mention making you both safer sooner.

Bill
    Mine isn't a wife yet, but I find I can teach her stuff if I totally revamp the entire way I go about doing it. It's really hard and requires me to think it all out in advance. She's not above listening though...sometimes. Point is, if you know what you're doing, you can probably teach her, or at least learn together.

Lead Moderator
    I still feel a professional would be best to learn it right the first time. I had to unlearn habits from competition shooting when I went to the Police Academy. Find someone to teach ya combat handgunning if possible.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by wburychka

Bill
    I don't necessarily disagree in theory. However, as I mentioned on another thread, we are going from non-gun-owners to carrying in a short time. Between mandatory training and fees, purchase of our first handgun, cleaning supplies and other necessary gear we've spent over $1100 so far, and I don't see where we could have saved much. Meanwhile my wife is working outside on foot in high-crime areas, we don't have an unlimited budget, and she'll resent spending it where she doesn't see the need. I do not want her to resent the gun or practice and training.

...and we don't do too bad when I teach her stuff...usually.

Lead Moderator
    Having a gun is a step in self defense. Knowing how and when to use it is a bigger step. I have had proffesional training and know I could really use more. Good luck and be safe.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday
    This worked for my old lady in a round about way. She has a revolver, so I would load it randomly for her. After a few runs that way she could see what she was doing wrong and correct it. Now she has great trigger control and shoots better than me
    Actually, it's not so much seeing what you are doing wrong as to get in a habit of doing it right. That's why you only load one or two live rounds. So the gun goes click, click, click, click, by now she's so used to nothing happening, when it goes BANG! she's no longer anticipating it and doesn't do all the stuff that tends to send bullets into the next county. Might even want to try it with no live rounds in it and see if she jerks the trigger on the sixth shot because this "must" be the live round.
    There's a reason The Sopranos is set in New Jersey.
    Basic Pistol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links