LEO Encounter

LEO Encounter

This is a discussion on LEO Encounter within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had my first LEO encounter since recieving my CHL last week. I was rolling south out of Lufkin, TX and thought I'd cleared a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LEO Encounter

LEO Encounter

I had my first LEO encounter since recieving my CHL last week.

I was rolling south out of Lufkin, TX and thought I'd cleared a construction zone when I saw the officer in the median. Lights came on... pulled over and handed him my license and CHL.

He asked me if I had the weapon in the car and I told him yes. He then handed my CHL license back.

I was given a warning and a much deserved reprimand to slow down.

Very professional. Kudos to this Lufkin, TX officer.
    Kimber Pro Carry II; Night Sights
    S&W 340PD

Sounds like a similar situation another poster had happen a few days ago. I agree with the folks who say it is best to go ahead and inform the officer regardless of if it is a requirement in your state or not. I'm not a LEO but if I were, I would want someone to let me know they were carrying.
    I know some will say they wouldn't tell the LEO to avoid the officer "going off" on them but I just don't see this happening. If it did it would be the exception rather than the rule in my opinion.

My first encounter was years ago, also in Texas. Mine was for not using a turn signal while moving over into the newly formed lane for a off ramp. My encounter went much like yours except for one issue: I am a NRA Instructor and part of our mission is to educate the masses, including law enforcement on the proper terms to use. When asked if I had a weapon in the vehicle, I replied: "With all due respect officer, I do have a firearm in the vehicle. Weapon suggests offensive and my firearms are solely for my defense and the defense of my family."

The officer was impressed with the total lack of sarcasm and the attitude I had about my firearms.

As instructors, we are given the task to enlighten the public on proper terminology in order to cast a better light on the public's perception of firearm usage.
    NRA Instructor

NRA Endowment Member

Be a mentor to the youth of our communities.
    Show them the way to shoot for the moon.
    If they miss, push them to reach out for a star.
    If any gang banger punks try to divert their attention...
    show them the light as well.

Quote Originally Posted by golfnutcasey View Post
    Sounds like a similar situation another poster had happen a few days ago. I agree with the folks who say it is best to go ahead and inform the officer regardless of if it is a requirement in your state or not. I'm not a LEO but if I were, I would want someone to let me know they were carrying.
    I know some will say they wouldn't tell the LEO to avoid the officer "going off" on them but I just don't see this happening. If it did it would be the exception rather than the rule in my opinion.
    I wonder if the CHL shows up when they run your drivers license? If it does, you might as well show it to them.
    Kimber Pro Carry II; Night Sights
    S&W 340PD

slade
    similiar what happened to me last week...... good stop.
    i did the same gave him my CCW
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

FYI in Oklahoma if you have a CCW then you have to by law, notify the LEO.

KISS

Laws vary from state to state. Inform or not inform seems to be the first variation. In no state that can think of in which your licewnse is honored [CCH-CCW-CWP] is it illegal or wrong to tell an officer, "I have a license for my concealed weapon."
    [suggest you don't say "I have a concealed weapon." Say I have a license first-then say the words weapon. gun, what ever.]
    Unless you are home state bound, get one plan, report the license. You will avoid failing to report it [a violation] and you will probbaly gain a Brownie Point from most officers.
    BTW
    Carrying that gun is supposed to make you aware of the dangers, keep you on yours toes, Condition Yellow, alert. So why would a cop ever have a reason to stop you? Granted you can have a head or tail light burn out a block before you pass a cop, but there are too many "I was pulled over for speeding" stories being heard.
    The People Think the Constitution Protects Their Rights;
    Government See IT as an Obstacle to be Over-come.

In Texas, where the OP is from, you have give law enforcement your chl along with your driverse license. They can then decide to inquire further about a firearm if they see fit too.

VIP Member
    Hmmm, here in Arizona we're not required to notify. For me personally, it would depend on the situation. Since I drive like someone twice my age, I don't anticipate being stopped but mistakes do happen. Also, by reading several recent encounters it appears that LEO’s are actually cutting some slack on those who notify, so maybe it’s not such a bad idea after all.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by cliffyp View Post
    In Texas, where the OP is from, you have give law enforcement your chl along with your driverse license. They can then decide to inquire further about a firearm if they see fit too.
    Not true anymore. As of Sept 1, you are not required to tell them you have a CHL.

Quote Originally Posted by slade View Post
    I wonder if the CHL shows up when they run your drivers license? If it does, you might as well show it to them.

It does show up when they run your plate or drivers license number.

Now, given what I posted above regarding no longer being required to inform them, I wouldn't recommend it. Most officers likely don't even know that this law has changed, so not informing them may get you into some temporary trouble.

In Texas, I'd inform them for 2 reasons:
    1) the officer is likely expecting it since the law just recently changed
    2) it's the smart thing to do. 99% of the police officers in Texas will give you zero grief about having a CHL and a firearm as a result.

Not informing them will likely look like you're hiding something.
    If the officer still believes you're required to inform them, and you don't, he/she may then give you a ticket or whatever they would do under the old law, and then let you clear it with the judge later equaling an additional head ache.

I always notify the officer if I'm pulled over even though its not required in AZ to do so. I've always been treated with respect and let off lite.

Any other encounters I have with LEO would depend on the situation if I'd notify or not.
    TheWeaponCompany.com
    Handcrafted Holsters and Carriers

In a work zone? You're lucky to skate by with just a warning, because that could have been expensive...go buy a lottery ticket.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by CarGunGuy View Post
    Not true anymore. As of Sept 1, you are not required to tell them you have a CHL..
    Not quite correct. You are still required to inform. They just got rid of the penalties for failing to do so.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/LS-16.pdf

See GC 411.205 in page 28.

Quote Originally Posted by JJVP View Post
    Not quite correct. You are still required to inform. They just got rid of the penalties for failing to do so.

How odd. So it's unenforceable? It's like the 'non-binding' resolutions are idiots in D.C. are so famous for.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJVP View Post

That's the funny part isn't it? They removed the penalties for failing to notify, but didn't remove the requirement to notify.... That's our great state legislators at work...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links