Medical Mary-Jane

This is a discussion on Medical Mary-Jane within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Hopyard No longer a problem. Current DOJ policy is to not prosecute medical MJ offenses at the Federal level in states where ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Medical Mary-Jane

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    No longer a problem. Current DOJ policy is to not prosecute medical MJ offenses at the Federal level in states where it is legal.
    Exactly, as I said in my first post, current DOJ policy could change at any time. Its policy, it doesn't have the force of law. Until the law is changed prosecutions could happen. Under a new administration policy could easily be changed, or the current administration could figure out they could deny gun rights to a whole new subset of people without having to pass any new legislation. Do you trust them not to decide to do so? The prosecutions don't even have to be for possession of marijuana in violation of federal law, so long as the prosecution can prove the defendant is an illegal drug user (under federal law), then the prosecution could be for only weapons offenses.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

Landric???

Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    Exactly, as I said in my first post, current DOJ policy could change at any time. Its policy, it doesn't have the force of law. Until the law is changed prosecutions could happen. Under a new administration policy could easily be changed, or the current administration could figure out they could deny gun rights to a whole new subset of people without having to pass any new legislation. Do you trust them not to decide to do so? The prosecutions don't even have to be for possession of marijuana in violation of federal law, so long as the prosecution can prove the defendant is an illegal drug user (under federal law), then the prosecution could be for only weapons offenses.
    Is your concern that the Federal law needs to be changed, rather than the current policy? If so, you are probably right, but it isn't going to happen, so we have to deal with what is, rather than what some might like.

You asked -"Do you trust them not to decide to do so" (prosecute)?

Of course not. DAs do the strangest things if they think they can get a conviction. E.g., a Federal employee, non-military, prosecuted for sedition because of a job performance dispute? It went no place but they tried.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    Like you, I have never used marijuana (thought I think unlike you, I believe it should be as legal as alcohol). There are things I'm, not sure about, like if legal, how it could be tested for in a traffic stop (if over used). Just making an up front caveat to my opinion.

Many of these groups in MI are less interested in clarifying the law then they are crying over spilled milk because a vote passed legal medical marijuana and / or shall issue.

I'm hopeful it will be treated like any other legal prescription, as it is the will of the people on both counts.

Good thread.
    Couple of bad assumptions not justified by my post there...

First of all, I have smoked some marijuana when the occasion arises since Vietnam...though it has never been a major part of my life.

Secondly, I am a member of L.E.A.P., an organization of current and former law enforcement who advocate the total abolition of any and all drug prohibition. (see our rationale here:LEAP - Law Enforcement Against Prohibition - Cops Say Legalize Drugs)

Also, at least one of the sheriffs asking for clarification (my local sheriff and a good friend of mine) is a proponent of both marijuana decriminalization and the 2nd Amendment. He is just asking for clarification so he can better do his job.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Is your concern that the Federal law needs to be changed, rather than the current policy? If so, you are probably right, but it isn't going to happen, so we have to deal with what is, rather than what some might like.

You asked -"Do you trust them not to decide to do so" (prosecute)?

Of course not. DAs do the strangest things if they think they can get a conviction. E.g., a Federal employee, non-military, prosecuted for sedition because of a job performance dispute? It went no place but they tried.
    My real concern is that the feds will use activity legal under state law to deprive people of their rights. In this case someone being a user of illegal drugs (under federal law, but not state law) being prosecuted for firearms violations in federal court where marijuana is not now, under any circumstances, anything other than an illegal drug. Even if the prosecution is unsuccessful, one would be out a mountain of legal fees, and suing the government is difficult under the best of circumstances. When one is tried for something that is clearly a violation of federal law winning such a law suit would be basically impossible.

So yes, I think the law should be changed. I'm more than happy to enforce drug laws so long as they are on the books, but I'll be the first to say that they don't work, and I'd rather see all drugs legalized. I don't think the current laws stop people who want to be drug users for being drug users, and at the same time they promote violence.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post
    Couple of bad assumptions not justified by my post there...

First of all, I have smoked some marijuana when the occasion arises since Vietnam...though it has never been a major part of my life.

Secondly, I am a member of L.E.A.P., an organization of current and former law enforcement who advocate the total abolition of any and all drug prohibition. (see our rationale here:LEAP - Law Enforcement Against Prohibition - Cops Say Legalize Drugs)

Also, at least one of the sheriffs asking for clarification (my local sheriff and a good friend of mine) is a proponent of both marijuana decriminalization and the 2nd Amendment. He is just asking for clarification so he can better do his job.
    You and I may be thinking of different people.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    If you smoke pot and try to shoot , wouldn't it take at least 60 seconds just to draw the gun?

Just another reason that the government should not have access to a persons medical records.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    If you smoke pot and try to shoot , wouldn't it take at least 60 seconds just to draw the gun?
    You should be able to time your shots with a calander...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Mmmmmkay

I believe our part man - part fish Olympic gold medalist swimmer and world record breaker is a pothead. Dampens that delayed reaction theory a bit.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links