Those in Texas who have not started their CHL process...

This is a discussion on Those in Texas who have not started their CHL process... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd highly recommend starting before March 1st. I figured most people on here have either already received their CHL or have at least completed the ...

Thread: Those in Texas who have not started their CHL process...

I'd highly recommend starting before March 1st.

I figured most people on here have either already received their CHL or have at least completed the process and are now waiting on the paperwork to finish up, but thought it was still worth posting this information because we all probably know people who are considering it at least.

I have a friend who is an instructor and he got some inside information that Texas is about to make the process slightly more of a head ache.
    Currently, you can sign up with an instructor and knock out all the paperwork, classroom, and range tests in one day and one visit.
    Well, supposedly, sometime in 2010 (the month isn't certain, but rumor has it it will be March), Texas is going to no longer allow the instructors to do the finger printing. Also, and this part isn't confirmed, the exam will be online given by the state and not in the classroom. Both of which would require extra time and expense.

The state wants to take control of these things. Their reasoning is ensuring quality and reducing fraud, but in reality, it's about money. They will charge a fee for each of these steps.

So, if you are considering or know someone who is considering getting their CHL, do it before March.

Disclaimer: All the above was told to me by an instructor who said he wasn't supposed to have this information, but came across it during one of the instructor training sessions in Austin.

Join Texaschl.com and keep up with these internet rumors.

This is from Charles Cotton, a well known Texas Attorney and
    the founder of www.TexasCHLForum.com , specifically addressing this subject:

There are several unfounded rumors running around about changes to the CHL program. I'll address a few here.

Alice Tripp and I meet with DPS Monday about a number of CHL issues. I mentioned the rumors I had heard about an online test for CHL's; requiring a CHL's application be approved by DPS before they could take the course; and a few others. The short answer is that there is no truth to any of these rumors. All present thought it was ironic that some of the rumors began at instructor renewal schools.

We were specifically told that the only online test in the works is the one for CHL Instructor renewals and that is because a change in the Gov't Code makes this mandatory. There is nothing in the works for an online test for CHL's, but obviously that could change in the future. We discussed the fact that doing anything that prevented instructors from offering one-stop classes was a step in the wrong direction and they agreed. The only exception was the movement toward requiring digital fingerprints only and that absolutely is coming. There were discussions about applicants in rural areas not close to a FAST location and we offered suggestions that were well received.

The ex-Navy SEAL that was running the CHL division for a short while has moved to another department. The new head of the division is a DPS Captain and I'm very happy to report that his enthusiasm for streamlining the entire process equals that of his predecessor. They are rapidly moving toward a fully automated online system that will be much better for everyone. We also discussed potential changes to the statute that would help even more and I believe we will be able to work together on beneficial legislation. I know the question is coming, so let me say that I can't give any details about the legislative improvements we want to pass in 2011. This is an open forum and I don't want our opposition to know what's in the works.

The new leadership team in the CHL division remains dedicated to improving the entire system, but if that changes, I'll be the first to publish that information.

Chas.

LOL

Thanks! I guess I should delete this thread... but then again, leaving it to debunk the rumor probably isn't a bad idea.

Charles is also the Executive Director of the Texas State Rifle Association and one of the people who fought to get concealed carry passed in Texas in the first place.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CarGunGuy View Post
    I'd highly recommend starting before March 1st.

I figured most people on here have either already received their CHL or have at least completed the process and are now waiting on the paperwork to finish up, but thought it was still worth posting this information because we all probably know people who are considering it at least.

I have a friend who is an instructor and he got some inside information that Texas is about to make the process slightly more of a head ache.
    Currently, you can sign up with an instructor and knock out all the paperwork, classroom, and range tests in one day and one visit.
    Well, supposedly, sometime in 2010 (the month isn't certain, but rumor has it it will be March), Texas is going to no longer allow the instructors to do the finger printing. Also, and this part isn't confirmed, the exam will be online given by the state and not in the classroom. Both of which would require extra time and expense.

The state wants to take control of these things. Their reasoning is ensuring quality and reducing fraud, but in reality, it's about money. They will charge a fee for each of these steps.

So, if you are considering or know someone who is considering getting their CHL, do it before March.

Disclaimer: All the above was told to me by an instructor who said he wasn't supposed to have this information, but came across it during one of the instructor training sessions in Austin.
    Wow. I'm glad I live in PA

Go to the court house, fill out a form. Wait anywhere from a few minutes to 45 days. Get permit, go home, get gun, carry!

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Wow. I'm glad I live in PA

Go to the court house, fill out a form. Wait anywhere from a few minutes to 45 days. Get permit, go home, get gun, carry!
    True. However, if you ever have to use it, hope you don't, but if you do, I guarantee you'll wish you were in Texas.

Links