Defensive Carry banner

New ccw question

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  EMT 
#1 ·
Hey all:

Got a question about the first auto ccw always have carried a ruger gp100 6" ss 357 on the side. didn't care if it was seen or not. now a little older( a lot) and I hope smarter wanting to get a auto for ccw looking at the ruger sr9 or the s&w sv40 or comparable. Would really like the Sig 229 or 226 in a 357Sig but there just to damn expensive right now .

I know this is a loaded question but im headed to a gun show tomorrow and was going to be looking real hard. after the robbery back in oct i lost my faithfull 357 ruger.

thanks a lot

Mo:confused::confused:

#3 ·
I think the SR9 is a good option from what I've learned and it feels good and points good in the hand. I've never been able to shoot one however. I've heard mixed things about the SV40...it didn't fit too well for my hand. I tried/shot glocks, Springfield XD, and FNPs. All shoot well, but the XD took the cake! I just got an XD9 subcompact (the link if you're interested). A current current package they have on this model comes with a 13round flush magazine, and a 16 round extended magazine which makes the grip the same length as the Service, 4" XD. It shoots real nice, has lots of capacity, and it is easy to conceal. My two, bits. Too bad you're planning to buy tomorrow...it would help if you had a chance to test drive some first to see what would fit you best.

#4 ·
Ahh Dont know if im going to buy or not but it sure is fun to go drool all over others guns first ! lol..

Im assuming you mean fit test as there is no place here in kc for me to go fire weapons like that except for a few rental revolvers from the gun range.

thanks for the info .

Mo

#5 ·
Yes, fit, how it fits in your hand. Are the controls in the right place (you can properly reach them)? My one hang up with glocks is that they are not at point of aim for me (I bring the gun up and then have to tilt the barrel to line up the sights).

Rental guns around here were hard to find too. I was lucky to try out some of my friends guns and a few fellow gun club member's guns at the club here.

It's real fun to drool over guns! Good shopping to you!

#6 ·
If you have your heart set on .357 Sig, don't forget that Glock's got 3 .357 Models, and Springfield has (I believe) 2 XDs in .357, which you can pick up for not too much more than an SR9 (I actually just ordered a used Glock 31 for $25 less than my Local Shop wanted for an SR9 New.)

#7 ·
If you can find a CZ dealer at the show look at the CZ75 P-01 (9mm) and P-06 (.40). Very good ergonomics, built solid and very accurate, add to that a good price and you have a definite winner.

#8 ·
Might be a good idea to have someone along who knows what to look for in a used pistol, if this is your first. At least dry firing is a good idea. A pistol may feel very unnatural to you; I hunt with a revolver, and the grip is very different from my EDC pistol -- fortunately, there's plenty of time to aim when hunting.

9mm will give more rounds for the same size mag and be less expensive to practice with. Neither 9 nor 40 will recoil like a .357.

I like Ruger revolvers (very much), but the SR9 is in Safety Recall right now, and Ruger doesn't provide any warranty card, so (especially if you're new to pistols) I'd steer clear of a used one. Glock doesn't provide a warranty either, but the parts and instructions to fix them are are easy to find. S&W and Springfield warrant for the lifetime of the original purchaser. The safest bet for warranty repairs when buying used is to get a Taurus; they cover the lifetime of the gun, not the buyer.

Were I in your shoes, I'd look for a good deal on a gently used XD. Because XDs are sold new with a lot of (IMHO) useless plastic doodads, you may find one with 'just' the gun and mag for significantly less than retail at a show. Springfield also pushes their XDm models now and keeps trying to add features, so the 'old' XDs sell for less. A new 'old' XD (with doodads) may be on sale for $410, so at a show I'd look for something used tagged around $350 at a show and talk the seller down to $300 ... about the price of a brand new Sigma. If no takers, buy the Sigma (new, and get the rebate).

[in the interest of full disclosure, we do own SWHC stock]

#9 ·
I think there is, or used to be, a range in St. Joe that had a decent selection of rental guns. If I can find the name of it, I will PM you with that info. If you are serious about the .357 sig round, be sure to consider availability/price of ammo in that caliber. Not trying to talk you out of it or anything, but 9mm and .40 are both easier to find as well as cheaper.

#10 ·
I have an SR9. It is the first gun I ever bought (at age 59). Something drew me to it and I'm not sure what it was. I have stubby little mitts and it fits them perfectly. Made a 1 click adjustment on the rear sight and now I'm getting 3" groups at 25'. And I've shot fewer than 500 rounds in my life. I've never used it as a CCW because I am worried about it being seen accidentally. (actually had a dream that this happened. Maybe that's why I'm hesitant). Carrying a Ruger LCP today for the 1st time.

#11 ·
I have the SIG P229 in .357Sig. Hard to beat this combination but it's a chunk on my side. I like the SR9, it's nice and flat, fits/points well in my hand. Owned an S&W SV40 and did not like it at all (sold). XD's are nice. Prolly can't go wrong there. I would look at the all and see which on suits your needs the best.

#12 · (Edited)
Well Im back from the gun show and found my baby . picked up a springfield XD-9 . tried out over 50 different guns from 10 different dealers and sellers and they ALL but one told me I DID NOT want a 357 sig . this springfield arms fit perfectly and i think i got it for a steal. paid 410 with 3 clips the speed loader holster and double mag holder NIB plus tax.

thanks to everyeon that replied and gave advise.

NOW ill let everyone know how i do with it on the first shot after it quites raining.

thanks again
Mo

#13 ·
Congratulations on your new pistola! Lot's of folks here swear by the XD-9! :smile:

#14 ·
Glad to hear you didn't start out with a CCW .357 auto variant. The 9mm is a heck of lot more controllable and you will likely enjoy it much more. Heck, I even stepped down from my 1911 for similar reasons. My strength and control simply isn't what it use to be as the calendar creeps along.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.