What to Carry?...What to Carry?

This is a discussion on What to Carry?...What to Carry? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; At the tender age of 59 I finally bought a handgun for the 1st time, even though I've had my carry permit for 5 years. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to Carry?...What to Carry?

What to Carry?...What to Carry?

At the tender age of 59 I finally bought a handgun for the 1st time, even though I've had my carry permit for 5 years. Today is the 1st day I'm actually wearing a gun. A Ruger LCP. If comfort was the only criteria, I would have no doubts about it. I bought it last weekend and so far put 50 rounds of FMJ through it. FTE on round #3 and then not a hiccup. I't's loaded with JHP even though I haven't fired any yet.
    I've heard that I should put about 200 rounds through it before I try defensive ammo. I'm going to try for another 50 or 100 rounds of FMJ this weekend but with the price and avilability of 380ACP what it is, getting to 200 rounds is painful. Seems all other centerfire calibers are being replenished while the 380 prices just keep going up as it gets harder to find. From backorder dates I'm seeing, looks like the situation may improve by February. Let's hope. In the meantime, I'm looking to pick up a .40. Maybe a Springfield compact? Lot's of research to do. Appreciate any input in that price range. I also have a Ruger SR9 but I think it's a little large for a CCW. I love the way my stubby little mitts fit around it though. I've got about 400 rounds through it and all it's ever asked is to be cleaned after each use.

2. Remove Ads

If you've got smaller hands, you might check out the Glock Model 26. I have been carrying that since spring and although I normally switch to my Kimber 45 acp in the winter, I've become so accustomed to the G26 I may not switch out.

And 9mm ammo is some of the least expensive and most available.

My two cents...
    "A strong body makes a mind strong. As to the exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the Body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind . . . Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."
    --Thomas Jefferson August 1785

I have an lcp too! I love it! however, before trusting your life with it, you have to put down range, at least 250 rounds of your carry ammo, flawlessly. Mine as with many LCP's, are very troublesome with different ammo. Changeing the recoil springs, and a light polish to the feed ramp, did the trick for mine. If FMJ seems to shoot without any problems, carry that until you are sure anything else is good enough to bet your life on it. Personally, I think the FMJ makes a better choice for carry ammo in 380 cal., more penatration. Cost issues of 380 is definetly an issue. But your life is worth it. In the future, I would consider a service caliber of 9mm or better for everyday carry, and keep the 380 as a bug. there are a number of very small 9mm pistols, that are very concealable. 9mm is at least a lot cheaper to practice with. Be safe! Always carry!
    S&W M&P 9C
    RUGER LCP
    S&W 5906
    COLT DET. SPEC.
    S&W 686-6"
    "If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck", Author un-known

.380 is usually run twice a year. Find out the run dates and stock up then.
    Healthy children will not fear life, if their parents have integrity enough not to fear death.
    -TIME DEUM ET OPERARE IUSTITIAM--

Which gun? Well, a Glock-26 if you prefer 9mm, or a Glock-36 if you shoot with the 'big boys'...
    The Glock-36 has the smallest grip of all the Glocks because it is a single stack. I used to hate Glocks, but the '36' started calling my name...go hold one.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Nice to here you didn’t just rush out there and start carrying! Just kidding but waiting five years is a long stretch. A lot of folks already have everything ready as they open the envelope. Anyway, the .380 ammo issue would keep me away too. I’m a revolver guy these days, and though the ammo isn’t a real bargain, I still buy a box every chance I get.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Is this true of all the manufacturers? Seems like someone would have a captive market if they produced them right now.

Get it while you can

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Nice to here you didn’t just rush out there and start carrying! Just kidding but waiting five years is a long stretch. A lot of folks already have everything ready as they open the envelope. Anyway, the .380 ammo issue would keep me away too. I’m a revolver guy these days, and though the ammo isn’t a real bargain, I still buy a box every chance I get.
    Yup...that's what I've been doing. If it's one box at a time it doesn't feel like I'm spending as much. Besides...retirement is really overrated.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikcap View Post
    Is this true of all the manufacturers? Seems like someone would have a captive market if they produced them right now.
    My dealer is fairly in tune with what’s going on with ammo production and he explained it to me in this way. The popularity and sales of 9mm and the .38 handguns is what drives ammo production. Some ammo makers have considered tooling up for another production line to support the .380 but they also want to ensure that demand and profits remain high.

Granted, the 9mm ammo production tooling is the same as it is for the .380 and the makers do plan on shifting to more .380 ammo, once more the .380 guns are sold.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Cool

For concealed carry, checkout the Kahr line. Love my Kahr CW9.
    Less than a pound and less than an inch thick. Kahr Arms | Maker of high quality handguns in USA

There's no actual rule that says you must fire X number of rounds through your weapon to be certain it functions...

What MOST of us do is fire enough rounds through our weapons to be certain that they digest our selected ammo properly... (usually this number is around 200 or so)... some go much higher... some go lower.

It's all about your comfort level. You're carrying the weapon to protect your life. You need to be comfortable that it will function.

Quote Originally Posted by scorpion12 View Post
    There's no actual rule that says you must fire X number of rounds through your weapon to be certain it functions...

What MOST of us do is fire enough rounds through our weapons to be certain that they digest our selected ammo properly... (usually this number is around 200 or so)... some go much higher... some go lower.

It's all about your comfort level. You're carrying the weapon to protect your life. You need to be comfortable that it will function.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by mikcap View Post
    At the tender age of 59 I finally bought a handgun for the 1st time, even though I've had my carry permit for 5 years. Today is the 1st day I'm actually wearing a gun. A Ruger LCP. If comfort was the only criteria, I would have no doubts about it. I bought it last weekend and so far put 50 rounds of FMJ through it. FTE on round #3 and then not a hiccup. I't's loaded with JHP even though I haven't fired any yet.
    Warning: Get thee to the range IMMEDIATELY and try some of that JHP through it. My LCP was very picky about the hollow points it would load. The first box of JHP that I tried was Remington. It would fail to feed every other round!

I have found that Gold Dot's work well for me (YMMV). I practice with Gold Dot hand loads, and I keep factory ammo in my defensive pistol.

I would take those hollow points out right now and load up with FMJ until you can get to the range and verify how they work.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

.40? Glock 23....nuff said.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Today, at Bill Goodman's Gun and Knife Show, I finally bought a Kel-Tec P11 9mm pistol, instead of the thinner one that held seven bullets instead of ten. I didn't especially want this gun, but decided that I had better buy one that I can hide while wearing instead of scaring with those big bulky boxy black plastic guns that I have been buying, that can only be hidden under winter coats. I do envy those cowboys, country boys, mountain men and their friends who can carry around those big hog legs and Colt .45s. A pity that we can't do this in the city.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links