CC in Car

CC in Car

This is a discussion on CC in Car within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a little confused on CCW rules in Ga. and Fl. They state that weapon must be in glove compartment or center console. Does this ...

Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: CC in Car

  1. #1
    New Member Array Navy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northwest, Ga.
    Posts
    12

    CC in Car

    I'm a little confused on CCW rules in Ga. and Fl. They state that weapon must be in glove compartment or center console. Does this mean you have to take your weapon out of it's holster and put it in console when entering the car or can you keep it concealed on your person?


  2. #2
    Member Array basher052's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Richmond TX
    Posts
    369
    Nice thing about TX is we dont need a CC to carry in the vehicle. At least we got that part right.
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

  3. #3
    VIP Member Array gottabkiddin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North Georgia
    Posts
    7,046
    In Ga you can carry your pistol on your person in your car with or without a GFL. You can carry it without a GFL in the Center console, Glove box or on the seat in plane view. If you have a GFL you can carry anywhere in the vehicle in any condition, concealed or not. Go here for GFL requirements in the state of Georgia.

    Hope that helps.

    GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

    "If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

  4. #4
    sgb
    sgb is offline
    VIP Member Array sgb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    You don't need to know
    Posts
    2,414
    If you have a concealed weapons/firearms permit/license from either Ga. or Fl. you may carry concealed upon your person in either state while in your vehicle.

    In Florida you may have a loaded handgun in the vehicle as long as it is securely encased. Such as in a glove compartment, center console, briefcase etc.

    790.25 Lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons.--

    (5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

  5. #5
    Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    45,336
    Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    If you have a concealed weapons/firearms permit/license from either Ga. or Fl. you may carry concealed upon your person in either state while in your vehicle.

    In Florida you may have a loaded handgun in the vehicle as long as it is securely encased. Such as in a glove compartment, center console, briefcase etc.

    790.25 Lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons.--

    (5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.--Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.
    In plain English, this means that w/o a CCW permit, one may have a loaded pistol either in a holster or rug...then simply have it in the console or glove box.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

  6. #6
    VIP Member
    Array Saber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Yuma, Arizona
    Posts
    2,591
    Sidebar: I’m in Arizona so out of curiosity I looked at the reference since I didn’t know what GFL stood for. Ok, it was simple enough although I have to ask; what is a ballistic knife? Maybe those Martial Arts star-like things?
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

  7. #7
    sgb
    sgb is offline
    VIP Member Array sgb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    You don't need to know
    Posts
    2,414
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    In plain English, this means that w/o a CCW permit, one may have a loaded pistol either in a holster or rug...then simply have it in the console or glove box.
    If it's in the console or glove box it doesn't even need to be in a holster or rug. If it's secured in a holster (with a manual retention device) or a zippered up gun rug it doesn't need to be in a glove box or console as long as it's not as accessible as if it were upon your person. So you could put it in a gun rug, zip it up and toss it on the passenger side seat (not that I'd recommend it) and you'd be legal in Florida.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

  8. #8
    sgb
    sgb is offline
    VIP Member Array sgb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    You don't need to know
    Posts
    2,414
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Sidebar: I’m in Arizona so out of curiosity I looked at the reference since I didn’t know what GFL stood for. Ok, it was simple enough although I have to ask; what is a ballistic knife? Maybe those Martial Arts star-like things?
    A ballistic knife is one that propels the blade from the hilt/handle by mechanical means where the blade physically detaches and becomes a missile.
    Last edited by sgb; December 12th, 2009 at 05:40 PM. Reason: grammer
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

  9. #9
    New Member Array Navy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northwest, Ga.
    Posts
    12
    Thanks folks you have pretty much clear that up for me.

    AJ

  10. #10
    Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    charleston, SC
    Posts
    1,907
    Hey Navy: If you should cross into SC from GA you must have gun (can be loaded) in the glove compartment or trunk or center console area if you are NOT CCWP. If you have your CCWP then you can have it concealed anywhere in car--even under your leg or on the seat next to you--just covered. Not sure of reciprocity though GA & SC so you would have to check on that although someone may provide that answer on this thread. These rules state to state are really ridiculous but I'll take them over any kind of "federal" all inclusive ruling, given the excrement (tyin to be nice but really do not want to be) that currently exists in Washington, DC.

  11. #11
    Member Array Horsetrader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    now: here and there
    Posts
    225
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...a-florida.html[url]

    The above thread and the comments by shooter X and rmodel65 cite Georgia case law on car carry of a person who does not have a Georgia Firearms Permit. Basically if you are not a Georgia RESIDENT then you are not covered under the statute that allows OPEN CARRY in a vehicle (whether glove box, seat or other). A non-resident of Georgia to be on the safe side should lock the pistola in the trunk, ammo seperate. There are other threads to that effect here also, but the above cited thread gives the highlites. The exception to that basic rule is if you have a CCW from a state that Georgia has RECIPROCITY with. Under that circumstance your state permit lets you conceal on your person, glove box, door panel ect in Georgia. Check your state's reciprocity with Georgia.
    Last edited by Horsetrader; December 12th, 2009 at 09:15 PM.
    "Improvise, adapt, overcome."

  12. #12
    Member Array sirdarksoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NW Georgia
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey Navy: If you should cross into SC from GA you must have gun (can be loaded) in the glove compartment or trunk or center console area if you are NOT CCWP. If you have your CCWP then you can have it concealed anywhere in car--even under your leg or on the seat next to you--just covered. Not sure of reciprocity though GA & SC so you would have to check on that although someone may provide that answer on this thread. These rules state to state are really ridiculous but I'll take them over any kind of "federal" all inclusive ruling, given the excrement (tyin to be nice but really do not want to be) that currently exists in Washington, DC.
    There is no reciprocity between SC and GA.

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •