Anyone here reenact?

Anyone here reenact?

This is a discussion on Anyone here reenact? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got into reenacting this year and I noticed that some events said that modern firearms were prohibited. Does anyone else on here do ...

Thread: Anyone here reenact?

Anyone here reenact?

I just got into reenacting this year and I noticed that some events said that modern firearms were prohibited. Does anyone else on here do reenacting? Do you think this is justified? Would you/do you carry anyway? It just seems like it would be a pretty ripe target for a mass shooting since you've got all this emotion and political controversy surrounding the Civil War.

I understand that it's a safety thing because some people have been killed during reenactments, but those were with period firearms that had for some reason been loaded with live ammo and the owners didn't check it before heading onto the field.

I also wanted to ask if anyone knew if there were cc rigs for 1800's era cap and ball pistols? I thought that would be a way to be able to carry a defensive firearm while at an event while avoiding detection. Privates like me wouldn't carry pistols into battle, so it would stay inside it's holster at all times and there wouldn't be any chance (that I can see) of an ND like the ones I mentioned in the previous paragraph. What do y'all think? Should I carry and if I do should I go with a period carry piece or a modern one?
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

What's the worse that could happen if you were discovered?
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    What's the worse that could happen if you were discovered?
    I don't know, they just say they are forbidden, but I'm guessing maybe have to leave the event and maybe get kicked out of my unit and/or banned from future events. I'm not sure of my CO's stance on the Second Amendment.

It's legal to carry in National Parks now, right? Anyone know about FL state parks? Doesn't list it as being a prohibited place on Handgunlaws.us, so I'm guessing it's OK?
    Ron Paul 2012

If it's just a private group, the worst that can happen is they'll freak out. Make sure you're legal and deep conceal something small. If you're careful you'll never get noticed.

What part of modern firearms prohibited don't you understand? If you don't like the conditions of membership and participation in reenactments, then why are you still a member?

I've never understood the "I don't like the rules, so I'll ignore them" mentality.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    What part of modern firearms prohibited don't you understand? If you don't like the conditions of membership and participation in reenactments, then why are you still a member?

I've never understood the "I don't like the rules, so I'll ignore them" mentality.
    The answer to your implied question is that your life is the most important thing you have; following rules that tend to threaten your life can be problematic for those who are used to always being READY.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Doc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post

The answer to your implied question is that your life is the most important thing you have; following rules that tend to threaten your life can be problematic for those who are used to always being READY.
    Well, that, and I feel that they are lumping everyone in with the irresponsible, drunken fools who frequent these things and that's why they prohibit them. Plus I was just curious whether there were any other reenactors around here.
    Ron Paul 2012

There're decent odds that they do that as a condition of their insurance.

I am a Civil War walk-on softcore reenactor who does not belong to a unit; but regularly reenact with a few Union ones at a few annual events. Many of these people also hunt and likewise enjoy shooting modern weapons...BUT not at reenactments. Leave your real guns inside your vehicles. I use a reproduction Springfield .58 caliber muzzle loader rifle and an Remington .44 pistol [if and when allowed to]. I started with a pawn-shop Hawken-type rifle, which the hardcores/authentic reenactors do not like or forbid; but always have three such guns with extra hats, coats, etc. for new recruits or to loan to folks. It is great fun. I hadn't shot a real gun [or a bullet] for 30 years, until recently, when I started taking my CCW classes. I have fun making smoke and noise with the big girls and boys and you can be who you want to be, depending on the restrictions and rules; home unit and event organizer rules. Just scan the net to get what you can get from their web sites, like this one, for people who like to have fun with guns. I was pleasantly surprised to see and remember how comparitively and relatively easy these modern guns are to clean, when compared to those foul filthy burnt black-powder ones that will quickly rust and corrode inside the barrels if you are not quick and careful. You cannot let them wait or put it off too long. I have shot at a thousand rebels and very few have fallen before me, since I must have missed them all. Like every such event, it is a lawsuit just waiting to happen, and every story will be sensational. The same basic safety rules apply when having fun with guns. We always have weapons inspections, watch out for each other, and aim over each other's heads, elevating higher and higher the closer we get to folks.

NO! Irresponsible drunken fools DO NOT frequent these events! As you would know if you had attended any or many of them. We reenact with honor and respect for our ancestors and our history, in effect representing them and what they did; while giving the guests and spectators some enlightening informative educational entertainment that takes the mystery out of our history. Scan the net to get what you can get from some web sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    NO! Irresponsible drunken fools DO NOT frequent these events! As you would know if you had attended any or many of them. We reenact with honor and respect for our ancestors and our history, in effect representing them and what they did; while giving the guests and spectators some enlightening informative educational entertainment that takes the mystery out of our history. Scan the net to get what you can get from some web sites.
    I agree the VAST majority are like that, I wouldn't be associated with it otherwise, but there are a few (at least here in FL) who are like I described. I've never witnessed it personally, but I've heard stories from the more experienced members of my unit that have had to deal with them. Usually they get kicked out for acting like that, though, but I wouldn't want them to get ahold of a loaded weapon before someone could get to them.
    Ron Paul 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    I am a Civil War walk-on softcore reenactor who does not belong to a unit; but regularly reenact with a few Union ones at a few annual events. Many of these people also hunt and likewise enjoy shooting modern weapons...BUT not at reenactments. Leave your real guns inside your vehicles. I use a reproduction Springfield .58 caliber muzzle loader rifle and an Remington .44 pistol [if and when allowed to]. I started with a pawn-shop Hawken-type rifle, which the hardcores/authentic reenactors do not like or forbid; but always have three such guns with extra hats, coats, etc. for new recruits or to loan to folks. It is great fun. I hadn't shot a real gun [or a bullet] for 30 years, until recently, when I started taking my CCW classes. I have fun making smoke and noise with the big girls and boys and you can be who you want to be, depending on the restrictions and rules; home unit and event organizer rules. Just scan the net to get what you can get from their web sites, like this one, for people who like to have fun with guns. I was pleasantly surprised to see and remember how comparitively and relatively easy these modern guns are to clean, when compared to those foul filthy burnt black-powder ones that will quickly rust and corrode inside the barrels if you are not quick and careful. You cannot let them wait or put it off too long. I have shot at a thousand rebels and very few have fallen before me, since I must have missed them all. Like every such event, it is a lawsuit just waiting to happen, and every story will be sensational. The same basic safety rules apply when having fun with guns. We always have weapons inspections, watch out for each other, and aim over each other's heads, elevating higher and higher the closer we get to folks.
    I've been to three events so far. I wanted to go to more, but with gas prices the way they are I couldn't afford to go too far from home. Yes, I know that most reenactors are gun advocates, the parking lot is usually full of NRA stickers
    Ron Paul 2012

Until this year, after taking and passing my CCW class, I had not shot a bullet out of a gun barrel for thirty years or so, after getting out of the Nasty Guard. NOW...I am replacing one bad habit-hobby with another, shooting locally and limiting my driving distance during the reenacting season, keeping things closer if not a little bit cheaper. People invite and welcome us all over the country, wanting us to participate and perform while wearing woolen uniforms that are warm, good for local businesses and economies at their events. I have to cut some of them out.

Links