Car Gun...

Car Gun...

This is a discussion on Car Gun... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ... anyone use one? When I do carry it's pretty much at the 3 o'clock position. I'm not sure how that's going to work with ...

View Poll Results: One or Two Guns while in your car?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • One gun only. I can draw while seated.

80 50.31%
  • One gun only. It's unholstered and nearby while driving.

24 15.09%
  • Second gun in the glovebox or middle console.

36 22.64%
  • Second gun in a homemade holder/holster.

9 5.66%
  • Why only 1 or 2 guns? I have five in my car !!

10 6.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Gun...

Car Gun...

... anyone use one?

When I do carry it's pretty much at the 3 o'clock position. I'm not sure how that's going to work with the seat belt right there if I need to draw quickly. Also with not being able to carry at my new job, I have found myself taking my XD .40 with me and placing it on the passenger seat and locking it in the glovebox while at work.

If you do have a second gun in your car ~ what is it ? (and) ~ where is it ?

VIP Member
    I keep a second locked in a secure-it lock box, and move it to center console whenever I'm in the truck.

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    I most always have my gun in my vehicle when I travel. Most always means 98% of the time. I usually place my weapon in the center console while driving and that is where it stays until I get home after work. I don't travel in a big city so I'm not too worried about someone trying to get into my car at a stop sign or light.
    SCGunLover1

I usually only have my regular SD weapon on my person while in the car. If going to Orlando or Jax, I may tuck a second .45 next to the console...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

placing it on the passenger seat and locking it in the glovebox while at work.
    I strongly reccomend a secure lock box in your car if youhave to leave your gun in there.

Quote Originally Posted by missmyJeep View Post
    If you do have a second gun in your car ~ what is it ? (and) ~ where is it ?
    .357 SP-101, in holster with retention strap (thanks, Herknav) between console and front seat.

When I get to my destination, it goes in a pocket holster and into my pocket.

VIP Member
    I only have my one SD gun on me in the truck...If I'm traveling, I usually carry an extra gun or two in the truck, but not on me....
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Been discussed before...

My thoughts - I do not want to leave my guns anywhere where they are not secure. A vehicle is not secure - even with a lock box - since the whole vehicle can be stolen in seconds.

My gun stays on my person.

Vehicle tactics in a nutshell:

If you see trouble coming, and you can drive away, then drive away.

Your vehicle is a more powerful weapon than any handgun.

If you see trouble coming, but you cannot drive away, exit the vehicle immediately and fight on foot. Your immobile vehicle is a trap that offers zero ballistic protection.

If you get caught by surprise while you are in your vehicle...well, you aren't going to outdraw an already drawn gun. Best bet may be to feign compliance, get out, and then do what you need to do depending on the situation.

My $0.012's worth ($0.02 minus taxes)
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I have one of my rejected holsters that I modified slightly and adapted to use between my seat and my console...my gun goes there when I get in and back in my holster when I get out. On longer trips (like into cities) I normally have my .38 snubbie in an ankle holster as well.

Not sure how that fits the poll choices....

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Been discussed before...

My thoughts - I do not want to leave my guns anywhere where they are not secure. A vehicle is not secure - even with a lock box - since the whole vehicle can be stolen in seconds.

My gun stays on my person.

Vehicle tactics in a nutshell:

If you see trouble coming, and you can drive away, then drive away.

Your vehicle is a more powerful weapon than any handgun.

If you see trouble coming, but you cannot drive away, exit the vehicle immediately and fight on foot. Your immobile vehicle is a trap that offers zero ballistic protection.

If you get caught by surprise while you are in your vehicle...well, you aren't going to outdraw an already drawn gun. Best bet may be to feign compliance, get out, and then do what you need to do depending on the situation.

My $0.012's worth ($0.02 minus taxes)
    Good post. Worth more than 2 cents !!

Agreed! On all points listed.

10thmtn.

My 4x4 Silverado will make a mess of any BG, and it has a reverse too.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

The only gun in my cars is the one I carry. More than a couple firearms have been stolen when left in a locked car or locked up somewhere outside the car (not at home but 'wherever').

The safest place for my sidearm is on me. When I do have to disarm, I'm always very nervous about my sidearm being pilfered, regardless if locked in it's lockbox.
    Two sidearms is one too many to keep up with most of the time for me.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Despite the number of guns I have, I only drive with one mounted on my person in whatever holster I selected for the day. If I have to go into a restricted area, then it stays in the car while I become easy prey. Admittedly, I do need to buy a suitable lock box. As for the poll, there isn't a selection for what I believe is a fairly common scenario. Anywho, I'll pick the first option as I can draw, although maybe not very well. I know of two car-jack style holsters that would be good for this, but they are rather specialized and quite expensive.
    Last edited by Saber; December 13th, 2009 at 12:17 PM.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I don't carry a second "car gun"for the same reason already mentioned by others. Too much risk of theft when I'm not with the vehicle.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I fall into the #4 catagory. Might be a good thing not to be first in this poll.

Merry Christmas

Craig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links