It wasn't that bad afterall....

This is a discussion on It wasn't that bad afterall.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I've had my permit for three months now and finally today got past the apprehension of having a loaded, ready weapon under my shirt ...

Thread: It wasn't that bad afterall....

It wasn't that bad afterall....

Well I've had my permit for three months now and finally today got past the apprehension of having a loaded, ready weapon under my shirt while going out in public. And while I was always consious of it being there, and yes I did find myself trying to check its position often, hopefully without being too conspicuous, I found that after a while it felt OK.

I didn't tell my wife I had it on me when we went out to get a few things today because I figured if she could see it she would surely say something and I wanted to put the concealment to the test. We went to a music store and Wally World and then she said she was hungry.... And the place she wanted to go to served alcohol...oh crap. What did the law say about that??

We parked the car and she got out first. I unholstered my gun and put it under the seat. We went in and ate and when we came out I reached under the seat and put my pistol back in my holster. She said what are you doing with that. I told her I had been carrying it all day but was unsure of the law pertaining to carrying in a place that served alcohol and it would be my dumb luck to be the one to find out first hand.

She laughed and told me that she thought I might have taken it with me... (She had seen that I had it out earlier in the day to unload the target rounds and reload HP's). She said that when we left the house she looked to see if she could see it anywhere on me but when she couldn't find a bulge anywhere she thought I'd put it up. That made me feel much better about printing. In any case, not too bad an experience and I feel much more confident about it not showing. Of course this is winter....It might be a different story come summer.

2. Remove Ads

it was weird for me at first, now i forget its even there.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Good job, EXCEPT for just putting it under the seat. I would find a way to lock it up other than just laying it under the seat. It may have also been good to take the magazine with you, incase it got stolen, you dont want the BG to have your bullets to do bad with.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Thought about that after the fact.

VIP Member
    While opting to leave your gun in the car was the smart thing to do, since you were unsure of the law, sticking it under the seat is not a good practice. Invest in a COM safe for your car, so when you have to leave it in the car it can be secured.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    So did you go look up AL law?
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    funny...i started reading this and had to feel around my side to see if i had taken mine off when i got home about an hour and a half ago...still there...you get so used to having it on it just becomes part of your clothing...

So did you go look up AL law?
    Well from what I can find out you cannot carry in a place that serves alcohol for consumption on the premises. But there seems to be a grey area as to how that pertains to places like Chili’s or Outback where there is a restaurant section and a bar section and I cannot find a clear definition that says yes you can carry in the restaurant section. I welcome any and all who can shed some light on this.

Caper,
    I'm with you, its like Louisiana wants to keep it real gray about the alcohol and carrying. The law is based on the establishment's license. It's posted somewhere, but you'll have to go find it and read it prior to carrying in.

Soon you'll start to feel naked without it.

On the rare occasion that I don't carry (because I legally can't) it feels incredibly awkward to not be armed.
    Proud NRA & MCRGO Member

"The handgun would not be my choice of weapon if I knew I was going to a fight....I'd choose a rifle, a shotgun, an RPG or an atomic bomb instead."

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    funny...i started reading this and had to feel around my side to see if i had taken mine off when i got home about an hour and a half ago...still there...you get so used to having it on it just becomes part of your clothing...
    I feel like that too. I've taken naps with it on and totally forgot it was there. At least until I rolled to that side and was waking up from something jabbing me in the ribs!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Good on you for looking it up. Might be worth the half-hour of an attorney's time to go get some clarification from someone who is an expert in AL law.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Caper View Post
    Well from what I can find out you cannot carry in a place that serves alcohol for consumption on the premises. But there seems to be a grey area as to how that pertains to places like Chili’s or Outback where there is a restaurant section and a bar section and I cannot find a clear definition that says yes you can carry in the restaurant section. I welcome any and all who can shed some light on this.
    I read somewhere, GeorgiaPacking.org I think. A good way to know more often than not is, if a restaurant is open on Sunday and serving food, it's most likely falls within the okay to carry, due to the $ for Food vs $ for alcohol. FWIW

I could be wrong for your location, but I do know that the places you mentioned above are legal in Ga.

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Here is the Louisiana law as it is written.

§95.5. Possession of firearm on premises of alcoholic beverage outlet

A. No person shall intentionally possess a firearm while on the premises of an alcoholic beverage outlet.

B. "Alcoholic beverage outlet" as used herein means any commercial establishment in which alcoholic beverages of either high or low alcoholic content are sold in individual servings for consumption on the premises, whether or not such sales are a primary or incidental purpose of the business of the establishment.

C. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to the owner or lessee of an alcoholic beverage outlet, or to an employee of such owner or lessee, or to a law enforcement officer or other person vested with law enforcement authority acting in the performance of his official duties.

D. Whoever violates the provisions of this Section shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.

Acts 1985, No. 765, §1.

As you can see it does not specify areas of an establishment as either resaurant or bar. I am told by some locals that CC is allowed in the eating portions of the establishments in question and that the local LEO's respect that, but then again it leaves a lot open for discretion and interpretation.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Caper View Post
    Here is the Louisiana law as it is written.

§95.5. Possession of firearm on premises of alcoholic beverage outlet

A. No person shall intentionally possess a firearm while on the premises of an alcoholic beverage outlet.

B. "Alcoholic beverage outlet" as used herein means any commercial establishment in which alcoholic beverages of either high or low alcoholic content are sold in individual servings for consumption on the premises, whether or not such sales are a primary or incidental purpose of the business of the establishment.
    C. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to the owner or lessee of an alcoholic beverage outlet, or to an employee of such owner or lessee, or to a law enforcement officer or other person vested with law enforcement authority acting in the performance of his official duties.

D. Whoever violates the provisions of this Section shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.

Acts 1985, No. 765, §1.

As you can see it does not specify areas of an establishment as either resaurant or bar. I am told by some locals that CC is allowed in the eating portions of the establishments in question and that the local LEO's respect that, but then again it leaves a lot open for discretion and interpretation.
    doesnt look very gray to me...restraunt or not if they serve alcohol in individual servings for consumption on the premises its off limits...i wouldnt want to put that to the test in front of a judge...

Links