Turned in my gun today! - Page 2

Turned in my gun today!

This is a discussion on Turned in my gun today! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Dadoo I once had a LEO tell me "Nothing says liquor store holdup like a Jennings" Actually. I've had one for several ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadoo View Post
    I once had a LEO tell me "Nothing says liquor store holdup like a Jennings"

Actually. I've had one for several years, passed it down through 2 sons and it still shoots great.
    I have a j-22 that is an unadulterated piece of crap. I've broken it down, cleaned it thoroughly, polished the feed ramp, fed it everything from CCI mini-mags to Stingers and nothing will feed an entire magazine. Two out of 6 rounds jam. In addition that useless safety comes on by itself, so I finally just removed it.

I'm waiting for the local "social justice group" to have another buy back and offer a $100 grocery card to turn in a pistol. I'll turn in the pistol, but keep the magazine and sell it on gunbroker. :)
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by aikidoka View Post
    Did you turn it in while CCW? That would be classic. haha
    Yes, actually I did now that I think of it
    Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Yeah I thought the same thing; Oh no, we lost one into the dark side.
    As for the turn-in, I have heard of some rather expensive guns ending up in there. Perhaps some retired elderly spouse or someone unknowingly gives up a rig valued at 2~3k! I sometimes wonder if the sponsors are allowed to pick and choose what they like from these the turn in programs.
    No need to wonder the PSA said that "all turned in guns would be destroyed except those determined to be useful for training purposes" Which translated means if we see one we like someone in our department will end up with it in his personal collection
    Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

I cqnt remember where I read this but, like some 10,000 guns must be bought at these events to statisticaly save someones life...

Just makes the sheeps feel better, but other than that these things do no good.
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinNEPA View Post
    First off, they gave you more than it was worth and second of all - The TOPIC NAME kinda scared me for a sec there...
    ~Steve
    Yeah, the topic and the first 10 words in his post. Wheeew!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

VIP Member
    Cash for clunkers
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    They were kinder to you that a gun shop would have been!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Perfect invasion of your privacy. If your state didn't require handgun registration, you just gave the government all of the information they needed to put your name on their list.

Dumping it at a yard sale with a receipt/transfer hand-written on a cocktail napkin would have been better than opening yourself up to a microscopic examination by an anti-gun government. When the anti-gun congress and administration starts seizing guns, they'll come to the houses they already know about.

The idea that police will get guns off the street is noble. But the guns on the street used in the commission of a crime by criminals is not likely to turn up at a police swap meet.

And frankly, I, like most people, resent the use of tax-payer money to purchase firearms sold by law-abiding citizens that, if they really wanted to dispose of those firearms, ought to be selling the guns on their own. Instead, they'd rather save a few bucks on a classified ad and put the burden on the taxpayer.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody View Post
    Local city PD was having a turn in your guns for cash campaign today. I turned in my Bryco(Jennings) .380 for $50. I thought that was a great deal for a gun that was a better paper weight than firearm.
    A little over a month ago I turned in a Charter Arms AR-7, .22 long rifle that I had owned since 1989. It did not function since roughly 1998. The firing pin broke and the gun was useless. It was always kind of a POS to be honest.

I got a $100 walmart gift card for it! Used it to buy ammo for my Glock!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by Dadoo View Post
    I once had a LEO tell me "Nothing says liquor store holdup like a Jennings"
    Now that is classic right there!!!

KCGator
    Glock 23, 26, 27, 30, & 36
    Kahr PM9, PM40, & PM45
    Springfield Armory XD9SC & XD40SC
    Taurus 85GRY2UL
    Beretta PX4 Storm SC 9mm
    Keltec P3AT & NAA 22LLR

Quote Originally Posted by Biloxi Bersa View Post
    Perfect invasion of your privacy. If your state didn't require handgun registration, you just gave the government all of the information they needed to put your name on their list.

Dumping it at a yard sale with a receipt/transfer hand-written on a cocktail napkin would have been better than opening yourself up to a microscopic examination by an anti-gun government. When the anti-gun congress and administration starts seizing guns, they'll come to the houses they already know about.

The idea that police will get guns off the street is noble. But the guns on the street used in the commission of a crime by criminals is not likely to turn up at a police swap meet.

And frankly, I, like most people, resent the use of tax-payer money to purchase firearms sold by law-abiding citizens that, if they really wanted to dispose of those firearms, ought to be selling the guns on their own. Instead, they'd rather save a few bucks on a classified ad and put the burden on the taxpayer.
    There was no transfer of info. I handed gun over he handed cash over. Took all of 5 seconds.

VIP Member
    Man did you do good,

Detroit had a getto gun turn in 2 weeks ago, and all they were giving was a whole whopping $15.
    And it said the "program" would end when they reached the 75 gun limit ,

WHAT A FARCE!!!!!

'Because that's all the ammunition we had.'
    Polk Co. Fla. Sheriff Grady Judd
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Good TV

My son always enjoys thinking about the TV reporterette who was interviewing people at a gun buy back in Denver [?] a few years ago.

She got a guy with an arm load of pistols to interview.

It went something like ...

What are you going to do?

I'm turning in these 6 guns for cash.

What will you do with the cash?

Buy an AK47!
    The People Think the Constitution Protects Their Rights;
    Government See IT as an Obstacle to be Over-come.

Yeah ... On one hand it's a great deal if you have a broken, worthless gun.

The downside is you know that some useless old hag is going to be holding it up in front of the cameras, showing how a deadly weapon was taken from the street and the buyback program saved a life.

That's about like saying if you turned in a spoon, that obesity would decline. But you know that's what they say.

I have a J22 from the 80's . Yes I can agree with the assesment
    of the other posters on jennings reliability and accuracy.
    I could not hit a beer can at 5 feet 3 out of 7. and 5 out of 7 would jam.I filed the extractor a bit and improved it some (but not much)
    So you made out well.i wish they would have a program like that here.
    I thought about using the jennings as a deep sea sinker for cod fishing in maine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links