CCW and printing - Page 2

CCW and printing

This is a discussion on CCW and printing within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't know about Florida, but around here in Arizona nobody would care either way....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CCW and printing

VIP Member
    I don't know about Florida, but around here in Arizona nobody would care either way.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    I don't know about Florida, but around here in Arizona nobody would care either way.
    If a state allows both OC and CC, then it's never an issue. I carry in VA quite a bit and I have a CCW permit but since VA is also an OC state, if your pistol becomes exposed, it's still legal. I'd check at both Handgun Law and Open Carry Forum to see what states allow both.

In FL I think there is no OC but I don't believe a LEO is going to hassle you if you experience a temporary exposure of your weapon if it's not intentional. The bad part is folks seeing it and your being made. But I don't think it's a serious as some folks make it out to be, just like the worrying about printing. So many folks are not even remotely aware of their surroundings and so many people have stuff on their belts these days I don't think most would even notice.

My .02 cents

Quote Originally Posted by GatorCpE View Post
    I do have a question though. If I was in public somewhere and I bent or squatted and my grip protruded under my shirt, could I get in big trouble for it? Obviously you can tell something is there but i don't think it could easily made out to be a gun. I just didn't know how LEO would react in this situation. If the gun itself is not exposed, should I be in the clear?

Thanks again
    You should probably read the FL statutes on this, but many state statutes define concealed as "hidden from common observation" or similar phrasing. If he weapon remains hidden from common observation, even printing does not reach the threshold of breaking the law, because the weapon is not "commonly observable".

Again, read the statute. That is the key to staying legal.

IANAL.

I'm not a lawyer, so I won't comment on any of the legalities. What I will say though, is in my 2 months of carrying, I've become much less concerned about printing. Most folks won't notice, and even if they do, their first thought probably won't be "gun."

That doesn't mean I don't do everything I can to conceal properly, but I'm not a nervous Nelly when I walk around. If you act like nothing is there, nobody will think anything is there.

Quick story: Yesterday I went on a snowboarding trip with some friends up north. I was carrying IWB with my Supertuck Deluxe underneath my snowboarding jacket when outside, but when I was in my vehicle, my jacket was off and my firearm was exposed. My girlfriend didn't even notice I was carrying until I secured my pistol in a locked case when we got to the mountain. We were in the car for almost 3 hours.

So even when your firearm is in plain sight, people are still oblivious!
    Proud NRA & MCRGO Member

"The handgun would not be my choice of weapon if I knew I was going to a fight....I'd choose a rifle, a shotgun, an RPG or an atomic bomb instead."

welcome to the forum from s.e. michigan. good luck in your quest in carrying.
    holster/chothing etc. once you get the hang of ccw(and it really does'nt take
    that long) everything just kinda falls into place.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Printing:

You mention it sticks out under your shirt when you bend over. Mine does to. Squat with the gun facing an area where there are not a lot pf people if you want to bend over.

If you feel too close to exposing the gun routinely, use a longer shirt, wear a vest on top of the shirt that's pretty long etc.

You mentioned sticking a gun in your belt. I'd advise against that as a form of carry. Too dangerous in my book.

Generally, people aren't as focused on us as we think when we first start carrying. So, it's not been a big problem for me. I've been "made" a few times. I wouldn't suggest being lax about concealment, but when I was made people simply thought I was a cop, I'm older and don't look like the BG type. So, even if the worst happens and someone sees the gun, it's not automatically the end of the world.

You'll figure out practical ways to disguise it once you have the permit. If you're like a lot of us you'll have a drawer full of holsters you experiment with, and you'll find a number for use for various types of dress.

And a good belt is a great help as was, I think, already mentioned. Try "The Wilderness Belt", - Wilderness Tactical Products, LLC
    it's a pull thru buckle that will give an exact level of pressure to the holster and is a very strong belt but light at the same time. I also have a Sharkskin Belt, expensive but it makes any heavier gun I carry feel half the weight and keeps the holster stationary. A good leather will do you though, you don't need Sharkskin if money's tight.

Far as legality of printing, I don't know. Hard to believe that a gun momentarily flashing or it's form being visible thru your pants like in pocket-carry it going to result in an arrest. But I don't know your area. Never heard of it in mine (New York State).
    More the danger might be someone calling 911 because they thought you were a BG. That would bring tense cops - to check you out.

But I wouldn't worry. It doesn't seem a common problem, finding ways to conceal well.

Good Luck!

Question about printing. I try my best not to print. I know it is different in all states but if some one can help me were does it mention printing being illegal while ccing in NC looked all over cant find it. I know if we are concealing no one is to be able to see it but it happens right. Thanks for any info
    Uly
    Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power.

-- Yoshimi Ishikawa, Japanese author, in the LA Times 15 Oct 1992

I'm almost sure you'll hear this and it's a scourge among CCW instructors because it doesn't seem to stop.

Rumors that keep circulating from the mouths of some instructors:
    1. Printing violates CCW statutes and is the same as brandishing, is a Felony. WRONG! Printing is not the same thing and is not unlawful. Printing is the exposure "through" apparel worn to conceal the firearm, printing is not when your firearm slips out from under your cover garment and becomes exposed.

2. In states that have open-carry: open carry in a holster is the same as brandishing and is unlawful. WRONG! Nearly (if not all) every state that is open-carry friendly has some sort of brandishing section in their weapons violation statute. Their terminology will usually say something along the lines of: brandishing in an angry manner, brandishing with intent to harm, with the intent to cause fear, etc. Holstered open carry falls under none of these, provided you're in an open carry state.

So I challenge each of you to find this mythical creature: Can you find anything written in your State's concealed carry law that clearly defines printing and states that printing or accidental exposure of carry weapon is unlawful? If so, cut/paste it up and don't forget a link to the location of copy so you have the appropriate reference/citation.

Quote Originally Posted by diverdown247 View Post
    I'm almost sure you'll hear this and it's a scourge among CCW instructors because it doesn't seem to stop.

1. Printing violates CCW statutes and is the same as brandishing, is a Felony. WRONG! Printing is not the same thing and is not unlawful. Printing is the exposure "through" apparel worn to conceal the firearm, printing is not when your firearm slips out from under your cover garment and becomes exposed.

2. In states that have open-carry: open carry in a holster is the same as brandishing and is unlawful. WRONG! Nearly (if not all) every state that is open-carry friendly has some sort of brandishing section in their weapons violation statute. Their terminology will usually say something along the lines of: brandishing in an angry manner, brandishing with intent to harm, with the intent to cause fear, etc. Holstered open carry falls under none of these, provided you're in an open carry state.

So I challenge each of you to find this mythical creature: Can you find anything written in your State's concealed carry law that clearly defines printing and states that printing or accidental exposure of carry weapon is unlawful? If so, cut/paste it up and don't forget a link to the location of copy so you have the appropriate reference/citation.
    +1

stu

Quote Originally Posted by diverdown247 View Post

Thanks been driving me nuts to find something about printing didn't make sense to me. I have been looking for some law or something. I like to see stuff in black and white. Don't know how many times people have given me wrong info I have only been CCing 8 months or so and the printing crap I was hear didn't make sense to me. Glad I came across this site I have learned a lot here.
    I know when I carry I don't want anyone to know but printing is going to happen. Thanks for the info and if anyone finds something I hope they post it.
    Uly
    Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power.

-- Yoshimi Ishikawa, Japanese author, in the LA Times 15 Oct 1992

I am super pleased with my two Crossbreed SuperTuck holsters. With the right kind of gun belt, stiff and supportive, printing will not be an issue. I adjusted my SuperTucks so that the holster is just below the garment line yet high enough for me to draw in the recommended two seconds. I carry at 3 or 3:30 position.

Mel
    NRA Supporter/Member
    S.E. Michigan

no printing here.

I've been using the Smartcarry holster for the last eight years. I carry a S&W 4516 wearing docker pleated from pants. There is no way anyone is going to see my gun printing using this setup.

I did just take a look at the Supertuck on the web and it also looks like something I want to try for summer wear.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Where are all the Floridians on this?

Welcome Gator
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links