CCW and printing

CCW and printing

This is a discussion on CCW and printing within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First of all, I don't have a concealed weapon permit yet. I'm planning on getting one in a couple of months. I am a Florida ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW and printing

CCW and printing

First of all, I don't have a concealed weapon permit yet. I'm planning on getting one in a couple of months. I am a Florida resident if it matters and I had a question pertaining to "printing". Is printing illegal? I plan on carrying a glock 23 IWB. I am very concerned that this won't work because I've tried to test fit the 23 at various postions inside my waistband (unloaded of course) on my right hand side without a holster (just sticking the gun inside my waistband). Everything seems concealed well enough, but as soon as I bend over or squat down, the grip protrudes out the back underneath my shirt. The gun itself is not visible in any way. The grip just causes my shirt to "jut out" sharply. I will be wearing an untucked t-shirt and jeans most of the time. I also have a pretty small build, 5' 11'' 155 pounds. What would be the best way to go about concealing in my situation? I can't afford to buy another gun so I'm trying to work with what I have.

Thanks for the help

p.s. if my explanation of what is going on with my gun and shirt is unclear, i can post pics

You can adapt to the way you do things, or how you move. Once you start carrying things will become self evident. Squat instead of bend....reach for the top shelf with your weak hand, etc...etc.... We change our pistols, our holsters, our clothing, our positions, our methods and our means. Carry means adapting in every way. You may also give less thoughts to printing as opposed to exposing, i.e.......if your shirt rides up that's one thing, but if your shirt rides up and over and you stand up exposing the pistol that's another. If you want to carry, none of this is difficult in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by GatorCpE View Post
    p.s. if my explanation of what is going on with my gun and shirt is unclear, i can post pics
    No pics needed. I know exactly what you're talking about. I always carry in jeans/t-shirt in the summertime. 6'1" 200lbs.

Thanks for the reply. So it sounds like carrying isn't as difficult as it may seem. I was also thinking that with the appropriate holster, it would keep the gun secured and isolated from moving as much, eliminating most of the "jutting out" in the back when i bend over or squat. Both of these issues are present atm when i test without a holster.

Thanks for the reply. So it sounds like carrying isn't as difficult as it may seem. I was also thinking that with the appropriate holster, it would keep the gun secured and isolated from moving as much, eliminating most of the "jutting out" in the back when i bend over or squat. Both of these issues are present atm when i test without a holster.
    testing without a holster will be more than likely straight drop (grip parallel to belt line and slide parallel with your leg). Once you have a holster with a cant (or angled grip forward), the "jutting out" ordeal should disappear.
    Welcome to the forum by the way.

First of all, I don't have a concealed weapon permit yet. I'm planning on getting one in a couple of months. I am a Florida resident if it matters and I had a question pertaining to "printing". Is printing illegal? I plan on carrying a glock 23 IWB. I am very concerned that this won't work because I've tried to test fit the 23 at various postions inside my waistband (unloaded of course) on my right hand side without a holster (just sticking the gun inside my waistband). Everything seems concealed well enough, but as soon as I bend over or squat down, the grip protrudes out the back underneath my shirt. The gun itself is not visible in any way. The grip just causes my shirt to "jut out" sharply. I will be wearing an untucked t-shirt and jeans most of the time. I also have a pretty small build, 5' 11'' 155 pounds. What would be the best way to go about concealing in my situation? I can't afford to buy another gun so I'm trying to work with what I have.

Thanks for the help

no printing in Florida isnt illegal i carry OWB in a serpa no problems....
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Welcome to the forum, looks like your question was already answered so that is all I will say!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

For what its worth. Check out the Crossbreed Supertuck Holster. You can adjust the ride height, canter and put it at any position on your body you want. It is a good buy and one that I recommend. Again, for what its worth.

As a guy with approximately your body build, I know exactly what you mean. I do it with pistols with shorter grips, but as that isn't an option, consider appendix IWB carry or smartcarry. Works well for those of us with short "fore-aft" dimensions, and little "overhang" in the front to obstruct a smooth draw.
    You should not have any special fondness for a particular weapon, or anything else, for that matter
    Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

Gator I live in South Florida(previously NY). I have always carried a S&W .38 2" barrel so it was always very easy. A month ago I got a M&P 40 compact. I carry IWB. When I ride in the car I slide my holster to 3:30 or 4:00 position (more comfortable for me). When I get out of the car I slide to 3:00 (conceals better for me).

For the first week or so I was worried about printing / exposing. Now for the most part I really don't care about printing. All I do is check my shirt once in a while if I have bent over or reached up to make sure I am not exposed.

I have the same build and had the same concerns at first. What worked for me was getting a good holster and a good gun belt. I found the wider gun belt actually works better as it seems to hold the gun closer and flatter to my body at 3:30 - 4:00. I tend to prefer full leather holsters to others because I feel that they blend the 'bulge' a bit better. However the biggest thing that I did concerning possible printing is...just relax With all the stuff people carry on their sides now days people won't normally make the connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    You can adapt to the way you do things, or how you move. Once you start carrying things will become self evident. Squat instead of bend....reach for the top shelf with your weak hand, etc...etc.... We change our pistols, our holsters, our clothing, our positions, our methods and our means. Carry means adapting in every way. You may also give less thoughts to printing as opposed to exposing, i.e.......if your shirt rides up that's one thing, but if your shirt rides up and over and you stand up exposing the pistol that's another. If you want to carry, none of this is difficult in any way.

No pics needed. I know exactly what you're talking about. I always carry in jeans/t-shirt in the summertime. 6'1" 200lbs.
    This is good advice, and pretty much how I've adapted to carrying myself. BTW - I'm 5"11" & 216lbs. I carry my G33 or G29 in an IWB holser at 4:00. Either wear jeans or cargo shorts and a looser fitting t-shirt.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

VIP Member
    I have never quite figured out the whole illegal printing thing’. I just see this as rather silly and highly subjective. Likewise, I can see how enforcement of such a measure could be easily abused. I can just see someone sitting outside of a Buffalo Buffet, and looking for people who may be printing.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member
    As mentioned before, the belt may be more important than the holster for pulling the grip up against your body.... the best holster in the world can seem awful without a good gun belt..
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Thanks for all the replies. Lots of good information here. The main thing im concerned with is the whole bending over and squatting thing. I feel as though the gun is adequately concealed when im standing and walking, but the moment i need to bend or squat to get something, the grip protrudes under my shirt out the back. It almost looks like there is a tent pitched so to speak. When I bend or squat, I am naturally moving away from the gun. It is no longer completely parallel to my back/flank. I assume that a good gun belt and holster combo that people have recommended would help. I haven't tried either but was hesitant on the smart carry or appendix carry, as comfort and "drawability" are two areas im concerned with. With the appendix carry, I don't want the gun to be jabbing into my stomach or leg, and with the smart carry, I don't feel that I could get down there and draw fast enough.

I do have a question though. If I was in public somewhere and I bent or squatted and my grip protruded under my shirt, could I get in big trouble for it? Obviously you can tell something is there but i don't think it could easily made out to be a gun. I just didn't know how LEO would react in this situation. If the gun itself is not exposed, should I be in the clear?

Thanks again

If printing were illegal wouldn't my CW be blank?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links