when is it inconvenient to carry - Page 3

when is it inconvenient to carry

This is a discussion on when is it inconvenient to carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "when is it inconvenient to carry?" It's always inconvenient. I wish the world was a different place. But protecting yourself is the trade off for ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    "when is it inconvenient to carry?"
    It's always inconvenient. I wish the world was a different place. But protecting yourself is the trade off for carrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta8045 View Post
    It's pretty inconvenient to carry at a gym. I don't trust any gym locker as a secure location for my firearm, so I have to leave it locked in the car.

If I could just figure out how to carry while I'm working out....
    At first, I thought it was odd to carry while working out. Once that 24 HR Fitness got shot up in PA, however, I was a believer. Anytime, anywhere. UNFORTUNATELY, I work out daily at a military base (which I used to think was safe).

Anyway, I'm a pretty big lifter although I've never got into the bodybuilder lifestyle/fashions. I see a lot of gym rats walking around from equipment to equipment toting bags with chalk, wraps, straps, water jugs, creatine, belts, etc. It always seemed unnecessary to me, but it's always in your sight/control and is a good cover story as a way to carry a gun in a pocket holster. Just an idea.

I'm in the process of slowly changing my wardrobe so I can carry more. Still haven't figured out how to carry wearing a dress (one piece, no buttons or anything on the front - I'm thinking shoulder holster?). I need a decent IWB so I can carry in a suit (where I'll either have no belt, or a very thin one - I'll have to reinforce the waistband somehow).

Riana, check out Cornered Cat. It's a website for women who carry. They've got plenty of ideas and suggestions for how to carry based around your wardrobe.

Pax, one of the members here, is the managing editor of that site. I can't speak for her, but she strikes me as the type who'd probably be more than happy to give you suggestions if you asked her.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Riana ankle holsters work great for just below the knee above the calf. Might work for a dress.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jimtem View Post
    Riana ankle holsters work great for just below the knee above the calf. Might work for a dress.
    "Hey, Riana, is that a Glock on your calf or are the wobbly knees 'cuz you're happy to see me?"

Naah. Doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

Sympathies: my daughter at 5'6" and 110 lbs would like more options, too. I agree that Cornered Cat is a very good resource (thanks, Pax!).
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

I had to go to a service training meeting a couple of years ago at philips corp in Tenn. I found it interesting that by the employes time clock was a locker for locking up your firearms while you were at work.

Nothing restricts carry of pepper spray in NC, IIRC. Even in schools. Can carry a knife anywhere but a school. Can carry a flashlight anywhere I want. I carry those 3 if I can't carry a gun, and usually along with my gun. Yeah, I prefer to go armed. If the establishment does not allow firearms, No CC signs, then I try hard not to do business there. But NC has so many places that are illegal to carry in that I find myself in them regularly. Disarmed does not have to mean unarmed. That's what my CC instructor taught anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jimtem View Post
    An interesting thought, but then I would not be able to go into a restaurant that serves alcohol here in VA (where I *must* OC) unless I hiked my dress up over my knee. At least with a shoulder holster, I'd just have to take my jacket off to OC.

I have looked at Pax's site - it has been a great help.

Quote Originally Posted by Riana View Post
    I'm in the process of slowly changing my wardrobe so I can carry more. Still haven't figured out how to carry wearing a dress (one piece, no buttons or anything on the front - I'm thinking shoulder holster?). I need a decent IWB so I can carry in a suit (where I'll either have no belt, or a very thin one - I'll have to reinforce the waistband somehow).
    I empathize, I know just what you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Holger View Post
    At first, I thought it was odd to carry while working out. Once that 24 HR Fitness got shot up in PA, however, I was a believer. Anytime, anywhere. UNFORTUNATELY, I work out daily at a military base (which I used to think was safe).
    If you feel UNFORTUNATE to work out at the gym on a military base, then work out at home. I work out daily at my base and I have a lifetime membership which I earned. Despite what happened at Ft Hood, it's still safer than off base. I know, I'm a LEO working off base.

I carry except church. At other times its generally a Glock 26. I carry it in various holsters. I would say the most common is the smart carry. This allows me to carry and tuck daily. At other times rarely when the 26 is "too big" I carry a NAA mini or a Keltec P32.

with time you may find yourself carrying in places you may not have earlier in your process. There is much discussion el;sewhere on the forums on where etc and how, ultimately it is a very personal decision. Myself, from the time I get up in the morning until I go to bed. The only place I will not is when going to do business on an Indian reservation, or when I know I will be searched or otherwise detected with dire consequences. Fwiw- I have lost track of how many places I have had security give me back my key ring that has a short staff (kubaton) on it, this always surprises me as it also is a pepper spray unit. I have had one for so long I really do not think about it and my guess is some day that might bite me. I guess I have trouble not having some defensive weapon on my person at all times. As I age I find this more important as my physical defenses are not what they were.
    my $0.02

I won't stop racing when I get old, I will get old when I stop racing

NRA Life, Master Mason, Jack-of-All-Trades (Master of None)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links