when is it inconvenient to carry

This is a discussion on when is it inconvenient to carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 1) I have decided I would use a fanny pack for the first time in my life so that I can carry on my morning ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: when is it inconvenient to carry

1) I have decided I would use a fanny pack for the first time in my life so that I can carry on my morning jog.

2) I guess I'm out of luck in the summer when I take the kids to the pool.

I'm trying to look ahead and prepare for the times when it will be inconvenient to carry so that I can find solutions. I'm not talking about the obvious such as college campuses.

What kind of hangups do you all run in to?

VIP Member
    I don't usually get hung up on the occasions that I can not carry. I like movies, but can't carry in most theaters. I go to church, but can't carry there. I occasionally take a class at the community college, but it is not legal to carry there. I can't carry a gun at work.

This is annoying but it is not the end of the world. A handgun is a tool to be used by the hand that is controlled by the mind. The mind is the weapon. Alertness, and the willingness to prevail is the real "weapon" we should all carry with us no matter what other "tools" we have on us.

A wise man once told me that just because I did not have a gun with me, did not mean I was unarmed.

Good luck.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

If you're carrying the PF-9, it's fairly easy to conceal. A good pocket holster will do a good job when you have to tuck your shirt in. A tuckable IWB will work, too. At the pool, simply use a little pocket-type holster and stick it in your "stuff" bag. I carry a Springfield XD9SC or a Steyr M9. Both are fairly large "compacts". I'm a big guy and wear my belts tight, so IWB is very uncomfortable. I use OWB paddle holsters for both and wear loose, untucked sport or golf/polo shirts. I've never had a problem. I'm seriously considering a fanny pack or "man bag" for when I have to go formal and tuck my shirt in.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I'd say it pretty hard to carry at the beach or the pool. Also in the shower

Usually if I'm at a public place I will find a locker, or just lock it up in the car. It's better then leaving a gun unattended in your beach bag.

VIP Member
    ‘Is that a 357 magnum in your pocket or are you just happy to see me.’ Sorry, couldn't resist...
    Anyway, when I'm in town I may want to swing by the military base and that becomes my only real showstopper.
    BTW: I have a Euro fanny-pak and it doesn't look gay.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    When I'm in town I may want to swing by the military base and that becomes my only real showstopper. BTW: I have a Euro fanny-pak and it doesn't look gay.
    That reminds me of this commercial...

YouTube - Progressive Insurance Commercial - Shopping with Flo

VIP Member
    Actually, I was re-thinking the description and the commercial, but you beat me to the punch.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

"when is it inconvenient to carry"

For me, I'd say pretty much all the time. IMO, life is full of inconveniences and self defense is one of um that's worth dealing with 24/7. FWIW

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

MJK

Thumbs up Different solutions...

Carrying during times I'm involved in outdoor sports/events is always a challenge.

My primary sports are road running, trail running and hiking and it's taken some time to find the right fanny pack/back pack for CCW.

On another thread I mentioned the MountainSmith Vibe II fanny pack. I came home yesterday after another 16 miler wearing the pack while carrying my G36. In my opinion...one of the best deals around at about $24. Plus you have room for a cell phone, your CCW permit and a little cash.

On longer trail runs I usually wear a hydration backpack that has waist and chest straps to secure the load and keep it from bouncing around. There are several good brands out there, but my favorites are the packs made by Camelback. These come in different sizes and configurations you'll have to choose form to fit your particular circumstances. Even though weapon access in a backpack is not fast, you at least have it available. I find that with a little practice I can pop off the pack and be ready to rock 'n roll in less than 5 seconds.

Good luck!

VIP Member
    I've been wanting to try the Vibe II but I can't find them in my town. I would just like to see how it looks in the raw. Too often these tend to stick out too far and look bulky for my taste.
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    when I'm in town I may want to swing by the military base and that becomes my only real showstopper.
    I always thought someone could make a small profit selling locker space outside the main gate. If combined with a storage rental facility (GIs are always storing for PCS or deployment) it may be a nice little business opp.

I know a lot of federal civilians who shoot at our club but work on base. They'd make a stable set of 'regulars.' The retirees who commute an hour or more would probably use it. Just don't know how to make it convenient enough.

Canoeing when it's hot is inconvenient for carry. Snubby 357 was an irritating shape (especially portaging around fallen trees). PM9 recoil spring rusted. P3AT is flat and light, doesn't appear affected by water (when cleaned after the trips) but it's mighty small compared to the size of the gators. Small (concealed) gun in pocket plus (exposed) divers knife on leg makes a good combination ... and the knife is handy for fishing, too.

it's always incovenient to carry. in a perfect world, there would be no need to worry about carrying a firearm, train with it, buy holsters for it, buy ammo for it, or apply for all the proper paperwork. i wish it wasn't necessary, but since my safety is my responsibility alone, i put up with it.

it's never inconvenient to carry. unless i'm going somewhere where carrying is prohibited by law, i'm armed. the places that are prohibited in PA are few and far between, and i rarely have need to go to them, aside from public schools. courthouses, national parks, military bases, and post offices are the only places where guns are illegal to carry. as far as courthouses are concerned, you may still bring your gun, you just need to check them in with the deputies or security while you're in the building.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FLSquirrelHunter View Post
    I always thought someone could make a small profit selling locker space outside the main gate. If combined with a storage rental facility (GIs are always storing for PCS or deployment) it may be a nice little business opp.

I know a lot of federal civilians who shoot at our club but work on base. They'd make a stable set of 'regulars.' The retirees who commute an hour or more would probably use it. Just don't know how to make it convenient enough.
    Yeah, my local gun shop has an indoor range and they offer gun-locker rentals. The base isn't very far away, but it would still be a PITA. Oh well, it is what it is...
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member
    Places that are inconvenient to carry, is the reason I have so much stuff in my holster box....But, I've always ended up finding some way to carry...I don't like to think about the alternative...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links