Getting my CCW out of CT

This is a discussion on Getting my CCW out of CT within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With a CT and a Utah permit, I'm still boxed in by NY, NJ, RI & MA. How can I get to another state with ...

Thread: Getting my CCW out of CT

Getting my CCW out of CT

With a CT and a Utah permit, I'm still boxed in by NY, NJ, RI & MA. How can I get to another state with a gun?

2. Remove Ads

unload it and keep it in a locked case seperate from the ammunition in the trunk of the car.

I've been dealing with this every year recently, traveling up the I-95 corridor and on to Vermont. It's not that bad when it comes to transporting...just don't expect to find a way to 'carry' while you are in the surrounding states.

You should look at the NRA's information on this topic. NRA-ILA ::

This is the important part: US Code Title 18 Section 926A: "Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driverís compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

As you can see, as long as you are allowed to have your firearm where you start from, and where you are going, and you properly secure the firearm, you may legally transport it through "unfriendly" jurisdictions.

I hope this answers your question.

Thank you both. A very clear answer. I'm very glad I found this forum.

happy to help! I used to have a hatchback, thus the "locked case" aspect. Sounds like you technically don't need the locked case part if you do in fact have a trunk.

With an Outback and an Explorer, I guess I've got another purchase to make. Just got a home safe delivered yesterday. Any suggestions for a vehicle safe?

if you just need something to lock it up in for transport, a simple toolbox with a latch will work. that's what i use when i go from PA to CT.

I personally bought a metal carrying case (the kind that looks like a camera case) with a lock that can also be used for air travel. That way I'm not duplicating costs.

Quote Originally Posted by mikcap View Post
    With a CT and a Utah permit, I'm still boxed in by NY, NJ, RI & MA. How can I get to another state with a gun?
    Get a MA & RI Carry permit.

Lock it up as per federal law while transporting through NY & NJ.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Get a MA & RI Carry permit.
    He can do that right after he solves world hunger - that would be a little easier.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

And solving world hunger is easier than getting a NYC permit. I drive from CT to the Bronx everyday. I don't feel too warm and fuzzy where my shop is. But i would never even dream about a NYC permit.

With an Outback and an Explorer, I guess I've got another purchase to make. Just got a home safe delivered yesterday. Any suggestions for a vehicle safe?
    here are two suggestions

Center of Mass

Gunvault

I have the microvault and I use it in my Jeep as well as when I fly. It has a security cable to lock it in your vehicle or even to the inside of your suitcase. User settable combo wth a key backup.

The center of Mass is cheaper but is a key lock. They will key multiple safes with the same key for more than one vehicle if you want. They also sell the microvault on their web site

And solving world hunger is easier than getting a NYC permit. I drive from CT to the Bronx everyday. I don't feel too warm and fuzzy where my shop is. But i would never even dream about a NYC permit.
    You know, about a year ago a Westchester (NY) newspaper did the world a disservice by publishing the names and addresses of all in that county who had carry permits. I wish the same do-gooders would publish the names of all the NYC permit holders - it would probably look a lot like a guest list to a Bloomberg or Michael Moore dinner party.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Separate compartment

My 03 expedition has a compartment under the rear floor where the jack is stored. Big enough for a few cased guns. You could not get into this compartment from inside the vehicle when the back hatch is closed.

Links