Rendering aid

This is a discussion on Rendering aid within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Consider that you have just done humanity a favor.........if you render aid and save his life, you just might be ending some one else's down ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rendering aid

Consider that you have just done humanity a favor.........if you render aid and save his life, you just might be ending some one else's down the line.............

The dirtbag made his call, let him live or die with it!

Oh yeah, I WOULD like his name and address should he survive so I could sue the SOB for the cost of the ammo I had to use!

2. Remove Ads

Assume you're in public, you shoot, the guy goes down, you move forward to render aid (of course you'll maintain control of your weapon) and just as you reach the guy he makes a threatening move that only you see. You're forced to fire in self defence and a half a dozen witnesses tell the cops that after you dropped the guy you walked up to him an deliberately finished him off.

I can just hear the cell door slamming

No, I would not. I assume he just tried to kill me, and would still keep trying, even if wounded. If there is a gun nearby, I would kick it out of the way, give the BG a towel to staunch the bleeding and otherwise not disturb a crime seen.

As cold as it seems, (s)he came to attack you! Give very minimal help, if safe, and call the paramedics and police.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Senior Moderator
    I've thought about this before and have decided that, no, I will not render aide.

First, I was just forced to shoot the man (or woman) because he or she was trying to kill me. That right there makes me hesitant to care about his or her well being.

Second, there is always the chance that he or she is either playing possum or dazed and the moment I start "rendering aide" they come out of it. Others have already mentioned the idea of a second weapon that was hidden. They could also be hopped up on drugs that make them more aggressive and/or stronger than usual.

Third, you said that you would restrain them and wear rubber gloves. So, not only do I have to carry a gun, a knife, spare mags and a back up gun or knife. Now, I have to carry rubber gloves, zip ties, hand cuffs (or some other restraint), basic medical first aide kit,.......... where does it end?

Fourth, I am not a paramedic.

Fifth, after a shooting I'm almost sure experience an adrenaline dump and other physical effects. I will be shaking, scared, and generally not in any condition to be assessing the physical well being of anyone.

Sixth, this falls under "not my job" category.

Also, you mentioned wearing rubber gloves. But what if you need to give mouth-to-mouth and there is blood in the way, are you also going to start carrying a mouth guard?

What if you are injured yourself and in too much shock to know it? Adrenaline can keep you from feeling gun shot wounds, even breaks and stabs. You need to get away to safety and start evaluating yourself before you take time to worry about someone else, particularly the person who put you in that situation to begin with.

Lastly, until the police arrive and he is loaded into an ambulance you have no assurance that the situation is truly over. His buddies could be around the corner and on their way. A civilian passery-by may misunderstand the situation and get involved. There are just WAAAAYYYY too many variables.

The best and most important thing is to get away to safety.

Get away to safety.

Let me say that again: GET AWAY TO SAFETY.

Call the police and keep your mouth shut until your lawyer arrives.

VIP Member
    I'd render aid by calling 911 and requesting an ambulance. I will not approach the BG or touch him in any way.

VIP Member
    Yeah, I'd render aid... "Hello, 911? There's a guy here who looks like he's been shot!"
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Only after I ensure that he/she is no longer a threat to me or anyone else period. Now what that threat encounters, can't say at this time, I would have to wait for that scenario to play out just as I did when I was doing the duty. It's a call to be made at the scene.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

I would call 911 and let them worry about it.
    there choices made this path. not my problem.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    No. How do you know he doesn't have a hidden knife, or another gun... Realistically, you will most likely be in no condition to render aid in the aftermath of a shooting...
    That sums it up nicely.

Are you trained in restraining someone, or have restraints? Do put it more simply, Why pray tell would you want to approach the MONSTER that you were forced to slay?

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    Nope. I've already caused grievous harm to the scumbag. I'm not going to take a chance that my aid would just make things worse and give just a little more ammunition for a lawsuit. He made his choice, he can suffer the consequences. Because of the legal, financial and emotional implications, I am also suffering the consequences of his actions. I'm not going to make it any worse. If he bleeds out before help gets there, tough. He just picked on the wrong person.
    As sad as it sounds, this is exactly how I feel also. You assume risk even when you go to help out. Shameful that is how we have become as a society, but that is where we find ourselves.
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Depends on the situation.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I've thought about this before and have decided that, no, I will not render aide.

First, I was just forced to shoot the man (or woman) because he or she was trying to kill me. That right there makes me hesitant to care about his or her well being.

Second, there is always the chance that he or she is either playing possum or dazed and the moment I start "rendering aide" they come out of it. Others have already mentioned the idea of a second weapon that was hidden. They could also be hopped up on drugs that make them more aggressive and/or stronger than usual.

Third, you said that you would restrain them and wear rubber gloves. So, not only do I have to carry a gun, a knife, spare mags and a back up gun or knife. Now, I have to carry rubber gloves, zip ties, hand cuffs (or some other restraint), basic medical first aide kit,.......... where does it end?

Fifth, after a shooting I'm almost sure experience an adrenaline dump and other physical effects. I will be shaking, scared, and generally not in any condition to be assessing the physical well being of anyone.

Also, you mentioned wearing rubber gloves. But what if you need to give mouth-to-mouth and there is blood in the way, are you also going to start carrying a mouth guard?

What if you are injured yourself and in too much shock to know it? Adrenaline can keep you from feeling gun shot wounds, even breaks and stabs. You need to get away to safety and start evaluating yourself before you take time to worry about someone else, particularly the person who put you in that situation to begin with.

Lastly, until the police arrive and he is loaded into an ambulance you have no assurance that the situation is truly over. His buddies could be around the corner and on their way. A civilian passery-by may misunderstand the situation and get involved. There are just WAAAAYYYY too many variables.

Get away to safety.

I have to agree with Limatunes, her 5th point.

I'd call 911, do a quick conditional baptism, and pray with him/her. My combat first aid practice is rusty enough to cause tetanus.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post

Get away to safety.

DO NOT leave the scene, but secure yourself at the scene. Leaving the scene id fleeing, flight equals guilt.

Don't "hover" over the body. But don't go far, just get cover by the nearest mail box, parked car, street light post, but stay there.
    The People Think the Constitution Protects Their Rights;
    Government See IT as an Obstacle to be Over-come.

I would not give AID period.

I just shot the person, My intent was to kill. I think helping after the fact just makes you look guilty.

Call 911 and let it be.
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links