Rendering aid - Page 4

Rendering aid

This is a discussion on Rendering aid within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Absolutely, positively, 100%, fully, totally, NO. Assuming I was in imminent danger for my life, which would have to be the case if I actually ...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Rendering aid

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Absolutely, positively, 100%, fully, totally, NO. Assuming I was in imminent danger for my life, which would have to be the case if I actually shot the perp, HE WANTED TO KILL ME--I owe him nothing but the life he still has in him and, quite frankly, I really did not want to give him that much.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Your intend is not to kill, your intent is to stop the threat to you and your loved ones.
    +100

This is a human, not a squirrel. I don't want to kill, I want to stop from being killed. Nothing more.

No Way
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Glock 19 (3rd Gen)
    DiamondBack DB9
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    NRA Life Member

No I will not render aid. I will call the Police and the medics but I will render no aid. I will in fact not approach the bad guy who is down.

An instructor friend tells his classes this:
    If you shoot someone and then go over to render aid, what happens if that bad guy has another weapon and tries to attack you with it when you kneel down to see if there is any aid you can render? You might be forced to shoot a person who is laying on the ground to legitimately save your life again but, what might some witness see? Someone down the street might just see you deliver a coup de grace shot to a downed person and they will tell the cops that. "I saw that man standing over the dead man who was laying on the ground and shoot him!" Now you have possibly put your butt in a big sling!

Do not render aid. Call the paramedics and the police and let them handle it. The bad guy just tried to kill you and you won. Don't give him a second chance!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny256 View Post
    I would not give AID period.

I just shot the person, My intent was to kill. I think helping after the fact just makes you look guilty.

Call 911 and let it be.
    Your intent is NEVER to kill, just to stop, if death happens, so be it, but it should never be your intent.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Render What ?????????????????

The only thing I would render is my bill to the next of kin, for about $28.67. This covers my expenses for the round of ammo, Cleaning solvent, Gun Oil, patches and my personal time.

If you would even consider rendering aid to someone you were FORCED to shoot you need more range time

Remember one of the first rules of defensive shooting is to eliminate the threat, because if you don't they still are a threat. Don't approach them don't say Boo, just call 911 and wait on your attorney, nothing more nothing less. Continue to protect yourself or your loved ones until assistance arrives.
    Dave
    I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy.

I'm torn on that one. My thinking here is; If I was set enough to put a round or two into him/them, I should probably let the situation run its course. If I was to improperly try to aid the guy with no medical training and he lives, but with limitations due to my lack of training. I can see some screwed up defense attorney trying to sue me for some goofy reason, and with todays court system gets a ruling in their favor, basically putting me and mine in the poor house forever.

By the time I finished with my post here, I have come to the conclusion, that No. Let the perp reap what he sowed. One less witness against the intended victim. YMMV

GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Rendering aid to a perpetrator who was determined to maim and or kill you after you put him or her down for the count?

Why?

Would that assailant ever render first aid to you after he or she injured you?

Of course not. They don't even consider you to be of any value so why would they waste their effort helping you?

They deserve no less than what they meet out. Life choices are often hazardous and deadly. Assaulting you with intent to maim or kill can often be met with same force and to assist someone who would think nothing of you, merits no help as far as I am concerned.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Administrator
    I don't ever remember reading or hearing many stories of a "bad guy" assailant - robber - perp - gang member - terrorist - lunatic - shooting an innocent victim and then running over and trying to render medical assistance to their victim.

Also....do me a huge favor.
    If I am ever shot/critically injured and laying there...and you are not a paramedic or a doctor...don't move me - don't try to save me - don't grab my head and ask me if I'm OK....Just call 911 for me and tell them to hurry up!
    Even though your intentions may be good....leave me alone. The road to Hell is paved with your good intentions.
    I don't want any unqualified bystander killing me with their good intentions before the Medics arrive. God bless the Paramedics.

PM
    Three issues I see in rendering aid. 1) you are already beside a rock why place a hard place near by. You have shot someone. You are now open to civil lawsuit; why open yourself farther to damages? Unskilled or M. D. you are in shock and I know that even when I was certified and running calls the hormone levels would be high and in a negitive direction. As opposed to the rush one gets when the tones go off. 2) What if the perp/BG is not as bad off as you think and can kill you as you "render aid"? As others have said; knife another gun or their bare hands can kill you. Not to mention AIDS and Hep. 3) Unseen other threats. The BG/Perp has friends and family; they can and will be a threat. Remember you just shot deacon jones little angel; who was coming home from chior practice after serving at the midnight mission after collecting toys for tots after working to support is disable mother, grandmother, sister, brother and his wife and five kids!! This last statement also need to be remembered under the first part of #2!!!

Absolutely not. That's too risky. I'd let the professionals handle it.

I know a guy who hit a dog with his car one time. He got out to check on it and it bit the hell out of him when he got close. Now who's fault was that?
    "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

If the perp can prove you had perfessional training and something goes wrong,being a nice guy can get you sued!

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Consider what you just said here.

Your intend is not to kill, your intent is to stop the threat to you and your loved ones.
    I can't agree with that statement. THOUGH your heart and head may only want the action to stop. When you pointed a firearm at them and pulled the trigger you fully intended that person to DIE... If you didn't intend for them to die from your actions then you should never have put your finger on the trigger.

Now on a lighter note if you just shot the BG, why is he still alive?

Honestly I pray that I never have to make the choice but a dear friend/father figure of mine who is a LEO once told me that once you make the choose to shoot, you better shoot as many rounds as fast and as accurately as you can to neutralize that threat.

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    Absolutely NOT!!
    [One Nation Under God]

I can't agree with that statement. THOUGH your heart and head may only want the action to stop. When you pointed a firearm at them and pulled the trigger you fully intended that person to DIE... If you didn't intend for them to die from your actions then you should never have put your finger on the trigger.
    I can't agree with that statement.

Though you were forced to point and fire your gun at an attacker he or she may have fell down from fright and your bullet missed it's intended target. That is still a stop, as the attacker has ceased felonious action against you. The fact that the attacker lives or dies is not your concern. Your only concern should be to stop the attack in progress that forced you to fire in the first place.

What you are advocating is murder. Have fun with Mongo in the prison shower. I do not plan to kill. I do plan to stop what forced me to fire my weapon. If the attacker dies as a result of his or her actions, that is on them.

Biker

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Sponsored Links