Rendering aid

This is a discussion on Rendering aid within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Would you render aid to a perp after a defensive shoot? Assuming of course the threat was neutralized and you did not kill the perp? ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rendering aid

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Question Rendering aid

Would you render aid to a perp after a defensive shoot? Assuming of course the threat was neutralized and you did not kill the perp? Say he was on the ground wounded and bleeding.

Personally I would. I'd take his gun or weapon and make sure he is restrained properly before I render any aid. Rubber gloves would be a must as well.

How about you guys?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    No. How do you know he doesn't have a hidden knife, or another gun... Realistically, you will most likely be in no condition to render aid in the aftermath of a shooting...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I'd probably call the pros and let them do what they are trained to do.

VIP Member
    Hmm, I don't really know. I suppose it would depend largely on the circumstances. I’ve always contended that it’s hard to ‘armchair’ our reactions until if and when something goes down in front of us. In the abstract, I wouldn’t care to; but I did spend a lot of my years in the service of others.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Geno View Post
    I'd probably call the pros and let them do what they are trained to do.
    Isn't that what the anti-gunners tell us to do in the first place?

Most likely, yes, I would do what I could provided nobody was in any further danger.

It really depends

The assumption here seems to be that it is just me and the BG. In that situation, I would probably do what I could.
    If however, a family member had just been injured or killed in this incident, I doubt very much if I'd do anything to help.

I'm not putting myself in a position where somebody may be faking how badly hurt they are to draw me in and try to disarm and kill me,not even lone LEO would approach a downed suspect until backup arrives and then they usually just cuff them up until paramedics arrive
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

No.

The perp better hope that the paramedics can get to him/her quickly.
    Samwolf

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

Holger,
    The antigunners would have taken away your gun so there would be no defensive shoot. Read the first sentence of the OP.

Since AIDS and other blood diseases are most likely in the perps I'd most likely find it necessary to shoot, I'd want a lot more than just rubber gloves.

I would call 911 [if I wasn't already on with them] and report what had just happened [I was forced to shoot in defense of my life] and the guy needs an ambulance right now.]

If I think of it I will take a picture to show what I saw [weapon] and if somebody has a blanket, I'll cove their torso and legs once I'm sure they have no hidden weapon. But I will not touch them, cuff them or give rescue breathing.
    The People Think the Constitution Protects Their Rights;
    Government See IT as an Obstacle to be Over-come.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Would you render aid to a perp after a defensive shoot? Assuming of course the threat was neutralized and you did not kill the perp? Say he was on the ground wounded and bleeding.

Personally I would. I'd take his gun or weapon and make sure he is restrained properly before I render any aid. Rubber gloves would be a must as well.

How about you guys?
    I would dial 911 for police and ambulance, and I'd try and render any aid to the perp that I was able while the ambulance was on the way.
    -Tony

"Those who beat their guns into plowshares will plow for those who didn't." -- Thomas Jefferson

sgb
    Absolutely not. Just because the shooting has stopped doesn't mean the danger is over.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Absolutely not!
    If the perp's threat, say for example, was ended in a WalMart parking lot in FL, I might be willing to send for an ambulance in GA, via Western Union.
    I dial 911 and it is out of my hands.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

As cold as it seems, I would not touch him, nor would I move any evidence (like his weapon) unless it was within reach. As mentioned: he could have a hidden weapon, he could have serious communicable diseases, I could be accused of trying to "finish him off". Like Drago said, "If he dies, he dies." He chose that route when he decided to be a criminal, so he takes the consequences.

Also, I have NO authority to restrain or detain him should he attempt to leave. A CWP doesn't empower me with police powers AT ALL.

Nope. I've already caused grievous harm to the scumbag. I'm not going to take a chance that my aid would just make things worse and give just a little more ammunition for a lawsuit. He made his choice, he can suffer the consequences. Because of the legal, financial and emotional implications, I am also suffering the consequences of his actions. I'm not going to make it any worse. If he bleeds out before help gets there, tough. He just picked on the wrong person.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links