A liberal news guy gets it!

This is a discussion on A liberal news guy gets it! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, sorta. I hurt myself falling over backwards when I read a very liberal local news writer agree with us (sorta). Sheriff's gun policy makes ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A liberal news guy gets it!

Well, sorta. I hurt myself falling over backwards when I read a very liberal local news writer agree with us (sorta).

Sheriff's gun policy makes sense
    Posted at 12:09 AM on Thursday, Dec. 10, 2009
    By Bill McEwen / The Fresno Bee

The best gift for a law-abiding citizen this Christmas might be a concealed-weapons permit.
    Even though Fresno police always are putting out press releases that claim crime is down, the city doesn't feel safe. Nor does it appear safe. Not on my side of town, at least. Not south of McKinley Avenue.
    Look, there was a time when I believed that more guns led to more violence.
    Now, in my gut, I have to agree with Fresno County Sheriff Margaret Mims. She says that a society is safer when responsible people bear arms.
    "I think it's a good idea to keep the bad guys guessing so that they never know when they're coming up against a citizen who is carrying," Mims says.

On the radio Listen to Bill McEwen's talk show daily at noon on KYNO (AM 1300).

Under California law, each sheriff can issue a concealed-weapons permit to anyone with a clean record who has "good cause." Some sheriffs are stingy with permits. Others, such as Mims, believe the permits should go to any eligible person.
    For Mims, " 'Good cause' is, I can't put a deputy sheriff with every single citizen."
    I don't have a gun and I've never applied for a permit to carry one. But this is going to change. In a city where no one is safe from the Bulldogs street gang, every responsible adult should think about carrying a gun.
    Consider what happened this week at Palm and Belmont Avenues: Richard Hernandez, 27, married and the father of two children, was murdered at 6 o'clock in the morning.
    Hernandez, a deliveryman for Valley Wide Beverage Co., simply was doing his job when, according to police, he was shot in the back for no apparent reason by Joey Jesse Lopez, also 27, a Bulldog gang-banger.
    Understand: Hernandez wasn't robbed. There are animals on our streets who don't need a reason to kill other than that's what they want to do. The only thing they understand is the power of a gun, which is why it's best that honest people take up arms.
    Advocates for strict gun control raise valid concerns about a proliferation of weapons leading to accidental shootings, particularly involving children. But permit-holders must pass background checks and gun-safety courses in which they are taught how to avoid mishaps. In the end, I think the benefits outweigh the risks.
    Back in the mid-1990s, then-City Council Member Bob Lung proposed a revised gun ordinance that would grant a concealed-weapons permit to any applicant satisfying the state standard of "good moral character."
    The idea was the talk of the town for several months, with anti-gun forces threatening lawsuits if Lung got his way. Eventually, the council passed a compromise version giving the police chief discretion to decide who received a permit.
    But Mims attracted little media attention during her 2006 run for sheriff when she made it clear that it would be easier to get a concealed weapon permit if she were elected.
    "But that was one of the first questions asked at every debate," Mims said. "People wanted to know about the permits."
    And they still want to know.
    Since she was sworn in three years ago, Mims' office has issued 1,134 carry permits, and there are now 2,786 active permits in Fresno County. As of 4 p.m. Tuesday, there were a total of 28,121 concealed weapons permits in force in California, according to the state Department of Justice -- meaning that Fresno County residents account for nearly 10% of the permit-holders.
    Mims says that there was a logjam of applications early in her term. Her office, which conducts background checks for the permits, has since caught up with the demand. Get this: the sheriff keeps applications in her car for people who want to carry a concealed gun.
    No wonder Mims was named "Outstanding Peace Officer of the Year" last month by the California Rifle and Pistol Association, an affiliate of the National Rifle Association.
    Now, I don't agree with much of what the NRA advocates. For example, I can't think of a single reason anyone -- other than law enforcement -- needs an assault rifle.
    But I believe in a person's right to defend himself. I believe, too, that an armed society is a polite society.

The columnist can be reached at bmcewen@fresnobee.com or (559) 441-6632. His blog is at
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

VIP Member
    Well, he kinda gets it and it's surprising, especially for a journalist from Ca...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Yes, he does 'kind of' get it, and he doesn't realize what equates to an AR rifle....but he is learning.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    Well, he kinda gets it and it's surprising, especially for a journalist from Ca...
    Agreed!

Craig

Senior Moderator
    Now, I don't agree with much of what the NRA advocates. For example, I can't think of a single reason anyone -- other than law enforcement -- needs an assault rifle.
    But I believe in a person's right to defend himself. I believe, too, that an armed society is a polite society.
    He doesn't "get it" at all.

Like most Liberals that are self centered, he only agrees with something that he all of a sudden decides that it to his benefit to be armed, because he scared. For him its an embarrasing matter of convience.

He is still an anti gun idiot.He is dangerous. We have some here on this board like him. He simply isn't smart enough to grasp the big picture because his thought processes have been contaminated with liberal propaganda for too long.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    Maybe we are starting to wear them down.

this is kind of ground breaking to me!

CVA vs. KS

"Since she was sworn in three years ago, Mims' office has issued 1,134 carry permits, and there are now 2,786 active permits in Fresno County. As of 4 p.m. Tuesday, there were a total of 28,121 concealed weapons permits in force in California, according to the state Department of Justice -- meaning that Fresno County residents account for nearly 10% of the permit-holders."

Sedgwick County Kansas has about 5,000 CCH licensed and the State of Kansas has about 24,000 with 1/10 the population of California.

CCH Statistics - Updated 12/09/09

*Licenses Issued by County - Update 12/09/09

These just updated so my numbers may be off just a little.
    The People Think the Constitution Protects Their Rights;
    Government See IT as an Obstacle to be Over-come.

Lets keep the heat on them, eventually they will learn, usually the hard way......But then the best lessons learned are always the hard ones.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

Like most Liberals that are self centered, he only agrees with something that he all of a sudden decides that it to his benefit to be armed, because he scared. For him its an embarrasing matter of convience.

He is still an anti gun idiot.He is dangerous. We have some here on this board like him. He simply isn't smart enough to grasp the big picture because his thought processes have been contaminated with liberal propaganda for too long.
    Agreed. He doesn't "get it" at all. if he did, he'd be writing about how HE applied and received a CCW permit because he believes that self defense is proper and appropriate given the lawless situation in Fresno AND the fact that he has a right to bear arms and self defense.

However, what he wrote ain't half bad all things considered.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    All in all California is coming around, by necissity, but coming around. Kern County has been wth us all thetime.

VIP Member
    I’m very pleased to hear this California media type’ has the courage to stand up and say what I believe a lot of California residents truly believe. The tide is changing and far too many citizens, regardless of demographics, are loosing friends, co-workers and relatives to street crime. Perhaps other California Sheriffs will become less afraid to issue permits. Since Sheriff Mims was brave enough to fall on her sword, the other weaker Sheriffs may follow. I truly commend Bill McEwen for his contribution.
    Regards,
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

No, he does not "get it". All he gets is that he can use a portion of the law to his benefit, and does not give one small damn about anyone else. That's a typical liberal anti firearm attitude. He will just join the ranks of the elite pols who have a permit for their own safety, but don't think the great unwashed deserve the same benefit.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

Yes, your right, but better that he understands and agrees even if it's through the act of fear making him understand right? It's far better that he understands where we are coming from then not to understand no matter what that reason may be.

I'm glad he's at least getting somewhat a clue, let's give him that much.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

The reporter may not get it, but at least the Sheriff gets it. Its a start. On to the rest of the state.
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links