BOB users

This is a discussion on BOB users within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was looking at Maxpedition Versipacks. If Santa doesnt bring one I may just save my sheckels and buy something similar to your gearslinger....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BOB users

I was looking at Maxpedition Versipacks. If Santa doesnt bring one I may just save my sheckels and buy something similar to your gearslinger.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by self protect View Post
    What does BOB stand for?

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I know you want no flames about keeping a firearm in a vehicle-, I agree that you might run into some bad people in your line of work and should be prepared.

one thing for everyone to watch out for:

Under federal law, it is illegal to poses a firearm or ammo within 1000 feet of a school. (there is a exemption for state ccw license holders). If there is ever a possibility that a wife/son/daughter will drive your car to or near a school, it is wise to not have any firearms or ammo stored in it. Taking your firearm/ammo BOB in and out of your vehicle sounds like a smart plan.

It is easy to forget about that box of ammo under the back seat, "dad, can i borrow your car?", drives to soccer practice, forget ammo, bam felony and expulsion.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Geez, am I in trouble. Mine is a six-pack and a bag of Fritos.
    Uncle Dannie
    FOP Lodge 55, RPOAC, NRA Life Member

One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory

You guys that want a BOB on a budget should check out the link I posted. They got $100 bob build thread.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    I know you want no flames about keeping a firearm in a vehicle-, I agree that you might run into some bad people in your line of work and should be prepared.

one thing for everyone to watch out for:

Under federal law, it is illegal to poses a firearm or ammo within 1000 feet of a school. (there is a exemption for state ccw license holders). If there is ever a possibility that a wife/son/daughter will drive your car to or near a school, it is wise to not have any firearms or ammo stored in it. Taking your firearm/ammo BOB in and out of your vehicle sounds like a smart plan.

It is easy to forget about that box of ammo under the back seat, "dad, can i borrow your car?", drives to soccer practice, forget ammo, bam felony and expulsion.
    I currently am the only one who operates my vehicle on a regular basis. My fiancee has her car. She is always with me when operating the truck. She is soon to get her CCP, which will make it a moot point. I have no children yet, so that will be a non issue for some time to come. I am considered LE in a limited capacity in my state, so the other issues are generally moot as LEO totally understand our need to have a firearm and possibly ammo at all times. I will be building a bag to my liking very soon after Christmas especially if brings me a nice bag. keep the ideas coming, I want practical and sturdy with only the things needed to get me home to my real tools for survival.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post

AFAIK someone can drive their car with a gun inside through the 1000 foot school zone. I'm not saying you can drive it on the school grounds, but you can pass through the 1000 foot area going from point A to point B. Also what about those people who have homes near the school grounds (within 1000 ft) they can have guns in their homes.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

familiar with the concept

I've always called it an OSK (Oh Shoot Kit)

Mine generally lives in my car and has the standard three needs covered, shelter, water, and food. Beyond that it has basic tools for the needs (ie rope, a ratchet set, a fixed blade knife, a shovel, etc), a compass, GPS, first aid kit, a weapon, and clothing appropriate for the worst of the season.

Part of the idea came from driving 200 miles a day in Michigan winters by myself. Sort of a "What would it REALLY suck to not have" scenario. Then it progressed under my idea that a handgun is only there to fight your way back to your real weapon (long arm). I realized that it did me little good for my "real weapons" to all be back in my safe at home.

Turns out its awfully handy to have those things with me even with the stuff DOESN'T hit the fan

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    That is a comprehensive list and if you took it all you might just want a motor home!

Nobody said you couldn't just use the list for ideas though.

My BOB is a Maxpedition Malaga Gearslinger and I do have a spare gun in it.

Now that's impressive! Clean, compact and ‘Marine’ organized. Over the years I have kept a small medium carry-on tote in my trunk for those unplanned trips out of town. It would contain a change of clothes x2, toiletries, medications, money (US/Euro), passport, flashlight, etc. The hardest thing I found; was maintaining discipline and not to rob from its contents. Perhaps this thread has inspired me to go back and give it another try.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

All my military gear is packed and in good order from when I was in the service! It's always in the back of my SUV,(Large Alice Pack) (3 day assault Pack) both loaded and ready as best as they can be for most any situation's that may arise,the rest is up to God!All I have to do is grab my guns and some ammo.

I have to agree that I am a MASSIVE advocate of a BOB. I maintain a pack all year in the truck. In the winter it's my hunting pack and in the summer it's for hiking and fly fishing. Being that live on the boarder of Mass and NH and though I am legal to carry in NH I work in Mass and I don't have a CCW there so the thought of even a long gun locked in the truck doesn't work in my case.

Keeping the bag in the vehicle though is never an OPTION and I have one in my wife's car as well... It never gets moved and it's always there if needed. After the interstate crippling snow and ice storms and the very real chance that you could wipe out and end up in a ditch, the ability to survive unassisted for 36 hours plus in the middle of a winter storm is not something we leave to chance.

If it wasn't for being in Mass. everyday a locked long gun would be standard equipment in addition to my carry gun.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    I currently am the only one who operates my vehicle on a regular basis. ....
    Sounds like you got it covered. Happy travels!
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by booyah View Post
    I've always called it an OSK (Oh Shoot Kit)
    I know a way you could make that rhyme better....

"I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    I know a way you could make that rhyme better....

I was trying to keep it nice, perhaps I should have put the shoot in quotes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links