Why Carry - Page 3

Why Carry

This is a discussion on Why Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's pretty hard to argue with friends who have lived 65+ years and never had the need to defend themselves, and others who feel if ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Why Carry

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    It's pretty hard to argue with friends who have lived 65+ years and never had the need to defend themselves, and others who feel if it's their time, nothing will stop it, or would not fight back for religious reasons. Others plainly fear guns mostly because they have never learned to handle them or respect what they can represent in the hands of a trained, responsible, licensed individual. Yet what they fail to understand is that society has entrusted their freedom, security and safety to the military, and police who protect them with "guns". And these people are called democrats.

The people that know why I carry know why I carry. Those that don't have a need to know don't know I carry. In have been carrying a handgun off and on for about 25 years and have never had to have this conversation. That's why it's called "concealed carry". I always carry and never tell. That is someone's signature here and I live by it.

Be Safe,

NosaM
    "In a crisis, you will not rise to the occasion, but you will default to the level of your training."

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Why argue your point? The ostrich-with-head-in-sand person just doesn't and will not get it.
    I think the main reason for trying to clearly make your point is for the benefit of that small handful who are simply ignorant rather than willfully ignorant.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    From one Vol fan to another...welcome to the forum.

I carry because, "We're not in Kansas anymore Toto..." and this is not Oz.
    Proud NRA member

i carry for a few reasons. 1) to protect myself and family. 2) it's my right and 3)
    it's better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

My reason Murphy's Law for One. but just say this. For every action there's a reaction,Your the reaction! Plain and simple! You were a Boy Scout and your motto is Always be prepared! For every reason they have it should be very easy to have just the opposite reason to have! The Police is NOT an agency to Protect you, that's why you carry,on your salary you can't afford a private body guard service!

Form one Vol Fan to another, the less this is discussed with those that do not understand (the sheep), the better off the sheep dogs are. If they don't understand why you carry, they are not aware of, or are blind to the dangers that surround us in the real world. Until they understand that, they will never understand the use of legal force to protect themselves and their loved ones.

On another note, are you going to the Chik-fil-a bowl. PM me about this...
    NRA Instructor

NRA Endowment Member

Be a mentor to the youth of our communities.
    Show them the way to shoot for the moon.
    If they miss, push them to reach out for a star.
    If any gang banger punks try to divert their attention...
    show them the light as well.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    At it's root I simply believe that I, and I alone, am responsible for myself. Food, shelter, and safety are my responsibility alone. Society has a lot of built in assists, but I am the first, last, and most motivated concerned party for my personal well being.

Beyond that, it's a right I exercise and a responsibility I shoulder. I am an adult and am capable of conducting myself as one.

I've had similar though usually "theoretical" conversations and generally find that the people who oppose it, no matter their political or religious views, tend to be those that don't trust themselves to act like adults. They just assume that everyone is the same and fear what others might do (because they know what they might do).
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

One of my favorite responses is a return question (I think, taken from a comedian)

"What will you say when someone comes at you with criminal intent? 'Stop! Or I'll shout Stop again!'

It uses humor in an attempt to show the other what will happen if they remain defenseless.

A 2-by-4 doesn't usually teach an anti anything - except to continue to fear and hate. Sometimes a deft touch works. And complete silence teaches no one. Want more 2Aers? Teach.

I think this is the most reasonably reply from another DCer: "If someone asks nicely I certainly will engage; if they ask combatively I tend not to."
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    One of my favorite responses is a return question (I think, taken from a comedian)

"What will you say when someone comes at you with criminal intent? 'Stop! Or I'll shout Stop again!'

It uses humor in an attempt to show the other what will happen if they remain defenseless.

A 2-by-4 doesn't usually teach an anti anything - except to continue to fear and hate. Sometimes a deft touch works. And complete silence teaches no one. Want more 2Aers? Teach.

I think this is the most reasonably reply from another DCer: "If someone asks nicely I certainly will engage; if they ask combatively I tend not to."

Just FYI, because I'm a trivia geek and tend to know where every 'line' comes from...

That is from Robin Williams in an old routine where he was talking about British Cops not carrying a gun.

I actually got into this conversation with my mother-in-law, a dem from Illinois, and I simply said to protect your daughter and grandson. She then rebuttaled that guns cause crime. I told her I respectfully disagree and left it at that. She doesn't like me much so I doubt she'd listen to me anyway.

I think this goes along with your thread on making the argument to your friends about why you carry. Hope you don't mind my asking a question also.

My reason for carrying is that this world, as beautiful and awe-inspiring as life on it is, can turn ugly real fast. If by the slim chance that a life-threatening situation presents itself to me and by the even slimmer chance that the circumstances are such that I can do something to better the outcume, I want to be prepared.

My problem is my g/f "just doesn't like guns". I have explained my need to be prepared to make a difference on the very slight chance that I am able at any given time. She has no problem with my carrying, just refers to me as paranoid but then, I can live with that.

The difficult argument I find to make is her stance on "no guns in my house". She quotes instances of children being harmed or killed by inappropriately secured or handled firearms. Her contention is that the only way it could NEVER happen is for there to NEVER be a firearm present. I can go into my spiel on responsibility and safeguards that I take but it's to no avail. Anyone have a suggestion?
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

not sure if anyone has said this before me but.. I think the real question is 'why not carry?' It is better to have than have not when it comes to protection and being prepared. I wish I would have gotten one the day I turned 21... but at least I have one now.. step dad shot his first gun at the age of 53!!
    A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a gun.

No law ever prevented a crime.
    -Anonymous

A Fool refuses to protect himself, his family, and his home. - Me

"I have insurance on my cars, home, business, and life. Am I Paranoid or just Prepared?"

OR

"I like to exercise ALL my constitutional rights."

Quote Originally Posted by resqr9142 View Post
    My problem is my g/f "just doesn't like guns". I have explained my need to be prepared to make a difference on the very slight chance that I am able at any given time. She has no problem with my carrying, just refers to me as paranoid but then, I can live with that.

The difficult argument I find to make is her stance on "no guns in my house". She quotes instances of children being harmed or killed by inappropriately secured or handled firearms. Her contention is that the only way it could NEVER happen is for there to NEVER be a firearm present. I can go into my spiel on responsibility and safeguards that I take but it's to no avail. Anyone have a suggestion?
    If you are thinking about making her your wife and you don't think she will ever change her mind, my advice is get another girlfriend. It will be a bone of continual contention between you - and heaven forbid down the road either an accident happens or you are in a position you need a firearm and don't have one because of her strenuous objections.

My wife does not really like guns, but has always accepted them around the house. When I first started to carry, she thought I was bit paranoid. However, partly because of her objections, I started carrying less and less. Then one day we were together (I wasn't carrying) and we had a dangerous situation rapidly develop which I fortunately was able to get us out of and it turned out OK. I sure wish I had a firearm with me at the time - and so did she! Now, she expects me to carry all the time. She doesn't want a repeat, or worse. Events made her a "believer". But she had to see it for herself.

Now, when we get into the occaisional situation she feels uncomfortable, she usually touches my arm and quietly asks me "do you have it with you?". She knows I always carry now, and she appreciates it - and she wants to make sure.

Frankly, if you don't think your girlfriend is capable of understanding your sensible point of view and make such a transition, think carefully before you cement a lifetime relationship with her. It could be a rocky ride and might not last that lifetime you expect.

Anyway, that's my $0.02.
    "The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that . . . it is their right and duty to be at all times armed. . . ." Letter from Thomas Jefferson to Justice John Cartwright (June 5, 1824)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links