Why Carry

This is a discussion on Why Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I tend to respond with humor, "because it's easier than carrying a police officer" My religious convictions are something that I openly share with people ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Why Carry

I tend to respond with humor, "because it's easier than carrying a police officer"

My religious convictions are something that I openly share with people when the appropriate opportunity presents itself and I had a person once say, "doesn't your carrying a gun contradict your religious values?" and I replied, "Just because I'm trying to be a better person doesn't mean the rest of the world is too." I also explained that I have carried for 20 years and never had the need to draw and pray I never do.

On the safety issue, I always add that I take my responsibility of gun ownership very seriously and I have a gun safe and cable locks.

Those are about the extents of my conversations unless someone seems interested and open-minded...then it can be an educational opportunity and perhaps a convert to a supporter. You can usually tell which way they are leaning by the way they ask.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Because, in Virginia I can.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

Quote Originally Posted by resqr9142 View Post
    My problem is my g/f "just doesn't like guns". .. Anyone have a suggestion?
    Just a P.S. from to my last post to you...

Is the reason she has such a fear of firearms because she is unfamiliar with them, or has she picked up misconceptions from the anti-gun propaganda machine?

Perhaps take her shooting with you. Or, maybe you and a buddy both take your girlfriends and make it a fun day? But start off slow. Teach the basics of safety and familiarity with a simple firearm first and do it without criticism. Make it a good experience.

She may change her tune real fast when she gets familiar and if she has a good experience she will have more confidence in herself and in you!
    "The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that . . . it is their right and duty to be at all times armed. . . ." Letter from Thomas Jefferson to Justice John Cartwright (June 5, 1824)

Virginia is an awesome State!!!!

My wife of 17 years doesn't particularly like guns. She has been around them and has seen me practice safe gun handling and storage since we met. She has seen me shoot various guns and she has no interest in them. She has no issue with my interest or carry, but she is not comfortable with one herself. If she has any reservations about being able to use one if the situation necessitated, then as we have discussed she is probably better off without one (as it could be used against her). She is more comfortable with alternative means of self defense, such as pepper spray. Her and I have been together a total of 24 years (dating and married) and she has been consistent in her position all 24 years. She has nothing against it, it's just not for her. I respect her position and she respects mine.

Gee..You guys carry??

My usual one line answer "because I watch the news"

When I get the "but that's being paranoid or living in fear", I really like the Smoke detector and seat-belt comparisons. "You have smoke detectors in your house right? You have probably never needed them right? Is that being paranoid?"

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I think this goes along with your thread on making the argument to your friends about why you carry. Hope you don't mind my asking a question also.

My reason for carrying is that this world, as beautiful and awe-inspiring as life on it is, can turn ugly real fast. If by the slim chance that a life-threatening situation presents itself to me and by the even slimmer chance that the circumstances are such that I can do something to better the outcume, I want to be prepared.

My problem is my g/f "just doesn't like guns". I have explained my need to be prepared to make a difference on the very slight chance that I am able at any given time. She has no problem with my carrying, just refers to me as paranoid but then, I can live with that.

The difficult argument I find to make is her stance on "no guns in my house". She quotes instances of children being harmed or killed by inappropriately secured or handled firearms. Her contention is that the only way it could NEVER happen is for there to NEVER be a firearm present. I can go into my spiel on responsibility and safeguards that I take but it's to no avail. Anyone have a suggestion?
    Yeah...Match.com Online Dating, Singles & Personals | Search Free & Meet Someone New
    Proud NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by volfan View Post
    Have now been carrying for about 4 months and my new found interest has raised some eyebrows and questions from friends and family. I got into a discussion again tonight with some friends about why I carry. I don't feel that my answers were good enough for them but I tried my best. So let me throw it out to folks with a lot more experience then I have this way. We all talk and read about what to carry, how many to carry, and how often to carry etc? So why carry?
    All of the our rhetoric aside and allowing that there are some people with whom this discussion should not take place, the question is a valid and important one. Whether you have the discussion outloud with a trusted friend or a fellow CLH or simply in your head in the privacy of your home is immaterial. ALL of us should know exactly why we carry. We should be convinced it is what WE should do. Carrying a concealed weapon for defense of oneself and others is not for everyone. We who do carry should, before the times come to draw our weapon from the holster, be mentally prepared. Being mentally prepared, it occurs to me, includes knowing why we carry, in addition to knowing when we will carry, what we will carry, when we will draw and when we will fire.

Rest assured, the BG knows why he/she has a weapon and how and when he will employ it - failing to mentally prepare ourselves for an encounter with him/her gives him/her the upper hand and will most certainly prove to be just as fatal as failing to arm ourselves in the first place or failing to train ourselves once we decide to do so.

There are a lot of ways to defend yourself against malfeasance. A gun is one option. Awareness of risk and risk avoidance is another. They complement.

I have gone for 60 years without a gun using awareness as my main tool. I have had no, none, zero incidents where I have been in danger. I recently chose to carry a concealed weapon. This is an experiment for me. The sole benefit will likely be some level of comfort or security of place and possible a reduction in my level of awareness because of that. I don't know yet. I might increase my level of risk because of the gun backup. That would be bad. I hope I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by quincy07 View Post
    I actually got into this conversation with my mother-in-law, a dem from Illinois, and I simply said to protect your daughter and grandson. She then rebuttaled that guns cause crime. I told her I respectfully disagree and left it at that. She doesn't like me much so I doubt she'd listen to me anyway.
    She has a good point. In fact, I've set a couple of mine out on the counter and watched them...............haven't seen any crime yet.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Suggestion

I think this goes along with your thread on making the argument to your friends about why you carry. Hope you don't mind my asking a question also.

My reason for carrying is that this world, as beautiful and awe-inspiring as life on it is, can turn ugly real fast. If by the slim chance that a life-threatening situation presents itself to me and by the even slimmer chance that the circumstances are such that I can do something to better the outcume, I want to be prepared.

My problem is my g/f "just doesn't like guns". I have explained my need to be prepared to make a difference on the very slight chance that I am able at any given time. She has no problem with my carrying, just refers to me as paranoid but then, I can live with that.

The difficult argument I find to make is her stance on "no guns in my house". She quotes instances of children being harmed or killed by inappropriately secured or handled firearms. Her contention is that the only way it could NEVER happen is for there to NEVER be a firearm present. I can go into my spiel on responsibility and safeguards that I take but it's to no avail. Anyone have a suggestion?

Get a new girlfriend.

Biker

I'll echo BikerRN's statement; I've been face to face with unadultared evil before in my life. Their victims also thought nothing bad was going to happen to them. I refuse to be one of the next victims if I can help it.

God willing, I'll never be in a situation where I could be one of those victims. But until the felons union decides to send out calenders of upcoming events, I'll carry this uncomfortable hunk of steel and polymer on my shoulder or hip every chance I can.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

I hadn't read the entire thread but personally I never felt the need to discuss my status with friends and family. IMO, doing so only results in giving up a considerable level of safety as word spreads. I may get bashed for saying this but why in the world would you want to advertise this. The only thing I can think of is ego. Sorry if this sounds harsh but I can't seem to put any sense to sharing this information. In my world only 3 people know I carry, Me, my wife, and my oldest son who is a LEO.
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them. Richard Henry Lee 1788

Quote Originally Posted by TH48 View Post
    I hadn't read the entire thread but personally I never felt the need to discuss my status with friends and family. IMO, doing so only results in giving up a considerable level of safety as word spreads. I may get bashed for saying this but why in the world would you want to advertise this. The only thing I can think of is ego. Sorry if this sounds harsh but I can't seem to put any sense to sharing this information. In my world only 3 people know I carry, Me, my wife, and my oldest son who is a LEO.
    I have to disagree on this point a bit, I don't think its ego at all. Carrying a gun isn't a status symbol or something "cool" to do. But many people are curious, they're interested in carrying a weapon and for those outside of the social circles at a gun range, most people don't even know the option exists. To me, you can't really say you are a staunch supporter of the 2nd amendment if you make it your mission to keep CC a secret. The more people that realize the 2nd amendment is for everyone and not for just gun nuts, the safer the 2nd amendment will be.

Do I advertise that I carry a gun? Nope. Not at all. Ive never been made. People I see on a daily basis have ZERO idea I carry. But when someone mentions that there are times where they wish they had had one I see no harm at all in letting them know they don't need to just wish, if they really have an interest there IS a way to do it. It may be as simple as a friend saying they would sure feel better on trips for business if they had a weapon to defend themselves. That's where it started for me, musing about protecting my wife and son while traveling to conventions for work. And one they know then its up to them to make the choice. Someone in a previous post said it pretty well, "there are those who are simply ignorant of it and those are are willfully ignorant of it". I didn't know you could add a gun to your list of self defense tools for the longest time. Until someone let me know the option was there I had had no idea. Introducing someone to the idea of concealed carry is more than letting them know they can carry a gun, its opening a door to a whole world of self defense ideas. Its a lifestyle really. And I would certainly exercise some discretion, if someone of an untrustworthy nature mentions that he wants to carry a gun, I nod my head and don't say a word.

But to get back to my point, I don't think shedding some light on a friends genuine concern is an ego thing. I think keeping it a secret from someone you might otherwise be helping is more of a ego issue. It tends to reinforce the attitude of "I'm covered, screw everyone else". Like I said, if people choose to not carry, fine. They've made they're bed and can lie in it. But a vast majority of the world does NOT visit gun ranges, stores or subscribe to gun magazines. Lots of people don't even know CC exists.

Alex!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links