Why Carry

Why Carry

This is a discussion on Why Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have now been carrying for about 4 months and my new found interest has raised some eyebrows and questions from friends and family. I got ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Carry

Why Carry

Have now been carrying for about 4 months and my new found interest has raised some eyebrows and questions from friends and family. I got into a discussion again tonight with some friends about why I carry. I don't feel that my answers were good enough for them but I tried my best. So let me throw it out to folks with a lot more experience then I have this way. We all talk and read about what to carry, how many to carry, and how often to carry etc? So why carry?
    The gun fight you really win is the gunfight you avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by volfan View Post
    I got into a discussion again tonight with some friends about why I carry. I don't feel that my answers were good enough for them but I tried my best.

I too get into discussions like such with friends...that think it's silly to feel the "need to carry" a "gun"....bah I say.

You know why you carry, you know where you stand on why you carry. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

No need to try to prove why...just carry. It's you own personal deal.

it is my duty as ordained by god to protect and care for my family

nuff said i think
    jersey no more.. im a texan now

You carry because while the world may be generally safe and peaceful, bad things and people can come looking for you. You can choose not to go to the seedy parts of town, you can be in your own home, at church or the grocery store and may find yourself the target of a deranged killer.
    Nobody can guarantee your safety, carrying a gun does not guarantee your safety, but it significantly improves your chances of survival.
    The police are always minutes away and your gun, being present might just save lives.
    The People Think the Constitution Protects Their Rights;
    Government See IT as an Obstacle to be Over-come.

VIP Member
    I have carried for over thirty years both in the military and as a civilian, I figure if someone has to ask why I carry they live in a shell and have no concept what it is to take responsibility for your own personal safety and the safety of your loved ones.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Well, if most "normal" people really knew all of the things that go on out there and the frequency of them, that they NEVER know about, never hit the paper, and how many personal crimes and violent crimes go on that are unheard about....

And, if they met and dealt with some of the folks that commit them......

Then, they would definitely be carrying. LOL.

Violent crimes, etc. are much more frequent than most normal people going on about their daily lifes , with their heads in the sand, ever realize or WANT to realize.

One thing I've told a few friends who don't understand, "well, don't worry ... if something does ever go down , I"ll be safe... but, I don't know if you will be".

I know I've told a few friends of mine that asked, "don't worry, if anything ever goes down... I'll be safe.... but... I'm not sure if you will be".

1. Why volunteer to be a victim ?
    2. "It won't happen to me, afterall... what's the chances ". Very high actually.
    3. I live in a good neighborhood. You think people are going to do home invasions, burglaries, robberies, etc. in the slums ?
    4. Go to Walmart late at night, dress up nicely, and walk to your car all alone.... with $2000 cash in your pocket. Do you feel "safe enough" to do that ? IF not, why not ?

Some food for thought for them. Instead of sometimes 'answering' their question, some times it gets them to think... if you ask them a few. Afterall, why aren't THEY carrying ?

I carry because I can. It is my right and a responsibility I accept fully.
    Uncle Dannie
    FOP Lodge 55, RPOAC, NRA Life Member

One of the keys to happiness is a bad memory

"No matter how blessed our lives, how charmed our existence, things still inevitably, irrevocably go wrong... Eventually bad things find us all."

It's no use arguing with them, they have their views and you have yours. The difference is, they'll be on the program "Ugly Crimes Caught on Tape" and you'll be on the one called "Citizens Fight Back." They are willing to roll the dice on their family's life, you're not.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by volfan View Post
    So why carry?
    I do not carry because I fear a boogie man is hiding behind every corner, nor do I fear a zombie apocalypse. First reason I carry is because it is my duty as a husband to be able to protect my family physically and financially when able. Second reason is I love living and I am not going to willingly let some misguided individual interrupt my habit of breathing air. Lastly, I carry a firearm because it is a symbol of my God given rights as a free man!
    1 Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

I do not advertise that I carry a firearm even to my closest friends. I have disclosed that I keep my firearm with me to probably to my closest friend(he has never seen it) but we have been friends for 44 out of the 49yrs. that I have been on this earth if that says anything. I do not think it is wise to even have a discussion with people about carrying a firearm especially if you are the one carrying it and they are not. I have learned that people generally talk too much which could put you at a great disadvantage if someone targets you for robbery or the like.

Senior Moderator
    I carry because I deal with scuzballs that would kill you in the blink of an eye and not lose a wink of sleep.

I carry because I see how low a level that another human being can sink too.

I carry because it makes a lot of politicians and egotistcal maniacs nervous.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

It is my right to do so, and it is my choice not to be victim.

It's a jungle out there. If I knew when and where or if a threat requiring a weapon were to impose itself upon me, I'd only carry on that day. Since I do not, it's just being prepared. Like locking your car doors. Would they think you were rediculous for taking some sort of martial arts class to accomplish the same goal? Stuff like that...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigpoppa48 View Post
    I do not advertise that I carry a firearm even to my closest friends. I have disclosed that I keep my firearm with me to probably to my closest friend(he has never seen it) but we have been friends for 44 out of the 49yrs. that I have been on this earth if that says anything. I do not think it is wise to even have a discussion with people about carrying a firearm especially if you are the one carrying it and they are not. I have learned that people generally talk too much which could put you at a great disadvantage if someone targets you for robbery or the like.
    +1!

This quote sounds a lot like something I posted in another thread. I could say the same for another post on this thread as well. I guess that says something about the mentality of us all. It takes a certain type of person to carry a weapon with confidence in the first place. So I guess most of us are all wired pretty much the same way.

Well here is my response:

__Don't tell, and they wont ask! If they find out somehow, tell them the world out there has deemed it necessary for you to carry. People out there are more desperate than they have been in years. Things will only get worse, and like a boyscout, you just want to be prepared.
    Don't Knock The HU$TLE! When all else fails, I have a HU$TLER's Ambition! When the economy goes to crap, I will maintain and u wont! The hunger I have to survive, and your inability to handle the struggles we have ahead is what seperates you & I!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links