Does your CCW false-trigger inventory-control systems? - Page 3

Does your CCW false-trigger inventory-control systems?

This is a discussion on Does your CCW false-trigger inventory-control systems? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have you done self-checkout in Wally? Sometimes you will not get the REID tag deactivated. Happened to me with a pair of shoes, so that ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does your CCW false-trigger inventory-control systems?

Have you done self-checkout in Wally? Sometimes you will not get the REID tag deactivated. Happened to me with a pair of shoes, so that Dillons stores and Oreschlien's stores alarms went off.
    After much embarrasment I decided maybe it was the new shoes. I took them off and threw them thru the detector and sure enough it went off. A nice lady at the check out counter deactivated the little bug in the shoes and no more problems.

Just this past Saturday I set off the systems at Target. Two different Target stores, both going in and leaving. I wasn't wearing anything new, nothing new in my wallet. I've been in and out of target with that gun countless times, not sure why now. No one even paid any attention at the first store either direction, and no one paid any attention going in at the second store. At the second store I walked out along side the kid that collects the carts in the parking lot. I didn't even buy anything so my hands were empty. He looked at me and said, "don't worry about it. It goes off all the time. If people have metal in their pockets or whatever." That's good, because I wasn't about to worry about or stop for it. So I'm glad they didn't care.

It happened to me once when I went into a Borders but not on the way out....so i'm not sure what that means.

PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post
    It has Lasergrips on it but that's all.

All feedback is appreciated. Thanks all.
    What's in the laser? Could it be activating the RFID system? Sorry if this has already been said and disproved.

Possible coil in gun.

hello,
    I read your post and decided to give you a possible explanation on what could possibly be triggering the alarm. I used to work in Loss Prevention for a HEButt Grocer here in South Texas. During my time, I noticed that at times the alarm would be set off randomly. I often found myself stopping individuals and checking if they had any stolen items. More times than not, the individuals had nothing to be concerned about as they was not shoplifting involved. After this issue kept on occurring, i started researching what the individuals were carrying but found nothing that pinpointed the reason behind the alarm going off. One day, the staff set up some Christmas decorations around the alarm sensors. Throughout the whole day the alarm kept on going off. We tried everything, eventually we ended up taking the xmas decorations off, however; the alarm kept on going off. I then realized that there was a wreath near the alarm system. I decided to pull off the wreath and pass it throught the sensor.....guess what happened, the alarm would go off. I then assessed that anything that had a coil or a complete continuous ring would set off the alarm. If you notice the antitheft tags on items, they too have a coiled sensor that activates the alarm. This sensor get temporarily deactivated when one purchases an item, however; the sensor will be come reactivated after some time and will set off the alarm if the customer returns with the tag. Im almost certain, your gun has some sorty of small coil that is setting off the alarm.
    Remember as a rule of thumb in defensive carry...your intention is always to STOP....not to hurt, however; in a gun fight, its either me or them.....and Im sure as hell that it will NOT be me.
    -joey rh

PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    That's a scary thought. I remember when I had an MRI I was asked if I ever had any kind of eye surgery. I guess there might be small metal objects routinely used in eye surgery that would go haywire during the MRI.
    What they are looking for is lens implants after cataracts are removed. They have at minium thin wire legs on them and some old ones had metal that held the lens. You do not want you inner-occural implant removed by an MRI!! I am surprized they would do an MRI on a person with stints! Same reason; movement of the stints.

Never happened to me, but then I got me one of them there plastic guns that can't be detected.
    Samwolf

"One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms."

-- Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

I have one winter coat that ALWAYS sets off EVERY Walgreens that I walk in or out of. Even last year when visiting in Nebraska, it set off the Walgreens up there. My wife and I have gone through the coat inside and out and have not found the RFID tag. BTW, she didn't even purchase it at Walgreens.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyrh9 View Post
    Im almost certain, your gun has some sorty of small coil that is setting off the alarm.
    Doesn't every pistol have a coil, i.e. recoil spring??

I would check everything in your wallet...Do you have an electronic car key? those set the towers off at my store all the time.

I do that EAS sticker prank to my co-workers and being loss prevention, they always have try to figure out why they're beeping.

Nope. But I carry a Glock. And we all know that these can go undetected through even airport metal detectors! ;)
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Quote Originally Posted by PM View Post
    What they are looking for is lens implants after cataracts are removed. They have at minium thin wire legs on them and some old ones had metal that held the lens. You do not want you inner-occural implant removed by an MRI!! I am surprized they would do an MRI on a person with stints! Same reason; movement of the stints.
    Prior to the MRI, the tech knew I had the stents, and said I may feel a little burning which I did feel. My concern was that my last sight prior to death was not seeing my stents on the roof of the MRI.
    Dave
    I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy.

I bet it's the laser grips. Someone stated that the tags send off a magnetic waves. When I used to survey we used a locater that detected ferous metals. It would also sound on anything with an electric current or batteries. I'll bet it's either the circuitry or batteries in your laser grips.
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

VIP Member
    Like it's been said, RFID. Those sensors are not metal detectors, they receive a specific radio frequency to detect RFID chips.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Davensquirt View Post
    I had Cardiac Stents put into me on March 16, 2008 and no issues, I had an MRI done at 730 am on April 28, 2008 and then the fun began.

After my MRI, I went to our local Walmart to go to Subway well I have to enter the store and guess what, I set off there theft devices going into the store. After being thrown against the wall and a full body cavity search they couldn't find what set it off. I figured it was just my magnetic personality but that wasn't it.

I set off the detectors walking out again well again they could find no bicycles, Ammo, 50" LCD Televisions etc on me so they let me go. I did get one of the greeters phone numbers shes 80 but the smile is were its at. Body cavity search, word gets around you get fans, what can I say?

Now the fun begins, Later I had nothing better to do in life but to go back to the Walmart in question and proceed to really get the other entrance of greeters undies in a bundle. I set off the detectors on the opposite side of the store, new crew maybe more numbers.

OK wasn't a fluke, now I am concerned ( not really) I can't believe this could be so much fun, the body cavity searches, the sheer embarassment, the guilty looks I give people etc etc. To answer some of the probible questions New pants (3 years old) New Jacket ( 1 year old) New underware (Wasn't wearing any helps speed up the body cavity searches), Shoes (Old) Socks (Old) Wallet (15years) Belt (Old).

The next day I called my Cardiologist asking about the MRI vs Stents equals fun at Walmart. He clearly stated that its not possible because the stents are drug coated etc and etc and etc again.

I couldn't let it go, I did some research and the theft systems need a specific frequency of magnetic energy to set them off (could I be so lucky). I went across town to our other Walmart. Here we go again.

Maybe Walmart, m a y b e others. There is a mall with numerous stores with theft devices, MC Sports, Boston Store, Office Max and on and on a vertual plethera of entertainment for the shopping masses. Well I set off the majority of them. Am I gifted or what.

Further investigation by the MRI tech and the Radiologist and the company that made the stents, as well as numerous wierd and bazzar tests, guess what they found out. It was my new magnetic stents setting off all the theft detectors as well as other things that detect various explosive devices and on and on. I will cover that another day.

The moral of the story is even the unthought of, the its not possibles, and just plain good luck can set those off.

Currently, the magnetic power (Personality) has worn off as of September sometime, but what a fun ride. I have another MRI scheduled on the 7th of January 2010, wish me luck.
    Hilarious.
    Ignorance can be cured. Stupid is forever.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links