Does your CCW false-trigger inventory-control systems? - Page 4

Does your CCW false-trigger inventory-control systems?

This is a discussion on Does your CCW false-trigger inventory-control systems? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by liljake82 I bet it's the laser grips. Someone stated that the tags send off a magnetic waves. When I used to survey ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does your CCW false-trigger inventory-control systems?

Quote Originally Posted by liljake82 View Post
    I bet it's the laser grips. Someone stated that the tags send off a magnetic waves. When I used to survey we used a locater that detected ferous metals. It would also sound on anything with an electric current or batteries. I'll bet it's either the circuitry or batteries in your laser grips.
    Not to add fuel to the fire, but I had a similar experience last week at Wally World. My wife and I had purchased a flat screen TV, it was the only item in the cart. We got to the exit and the alarms went off.

We were directed back to the register where they once again scanned the box to deactivate the electronic tag. When we reached the door again, the alarm sounds. Back to the register, repeat the process. Head through the door, the alarm goes off. They just let us go on that time because the security person had seen the receipt and had gone back to the register with us.

I began to wonder about it, much like the OP of this thread. I was carrying my Kimber, equipped with Crimson Trace laser grips. I left the Kimber in the truck with my wife and walked back through the door.... nothing. Went back to the truck, re-holstered the Kimber and re-entered the store. Made a u-turn for the exit and the alarm went off again. The same security dude just said go on.

Wondering about the grips, I flipped the power switch on them to the off position and went back through the store with the holstered Kimber. Nothing... no alarm.

I understand what some of y'all are saying about the tags being the culprit, and I don't know enough about those types of systems to argue. All I know is that with the CT grips powered, the alarm went off.... several times. Without the gun on my person, or without the grips being powered.... no alarm.

I was back in Wally World today. Turned the power switch off on the laser grips before I went in.... no alarm.

I am writing a letter to Crimson Trace and I hope to hear back from them on this. Might be nothing, might be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
    Not to add fuel to the fire, but I had a similar experience last week at Wally World. My wife and I had purchased a flat screen TV, it was the only item in the cart. We got to the exit and the alarms went off.

We were directed back to the register where they once again scanned the box to deactivate the electronic tag. When we reached the door again, the alarm sounds. Back to the register, repeat the process. Head through the door, the alarm goes off. They just let us go on that time because the security person had seen the receipt and had gone back to the register with us.

I began to wonder about it, much like the OP of this thread. I was carrying my Kimber, equipped with Crimson Trace laser grips. I left the Kimber in the truck with my wife and walked back through the door.... nothing. Went back to the truck, re-holstered the Kimber and re-entered the store. Made a u-turn for the exit and the alarm went off again. The same security dude just said go on.

Wondering about the grips, I flipped the power switch on them to the off position and went back through the store with the holstered Kimber. Nothing... no alarm.

I understand what some of y'all are saying about the tags being the culprit, and I don't know enough about those types of systems to argue. All I know is that with the CT grips powered, the alarm went off.... several times. Without the gun on my person, or without the grips being powered.... no alarm.

I was back in Wally World today. Turned the power switch off on the laser grips before I went in.... no alarm.

I am writing a letter to Crimson Trace and I hope to hear back from them on this. Might be nothing, might be interesting.
    Wow. First of all, thank you all for the wealth of information. Now that I've read all the replies, I'm better prepared for some testing to determine what's really going on.

Ok, so here are a few more data-points:

- None of the articles of clothing that I'm wearing are new. Although I must admit that I'm a creature of habit and do tend to wear much of the same clothing when carrying my Beretta. But my shoes, wallet, jeans, belt, shirt, jacket, etc are anywhere from 6 months to 2 years old. Same for my Beretta. I've been inside that weapon a *lot* and there are definately no tags in it anywhere, nor are there any in my magazines or holster. The Lasergrips come off each time I clean it so I know there aren't any tags there either.

- Some mentioned my cell phone and the possibility of something in my wallet or even my keys. My phone is a blackberry, I don't have a big-brother DL , nor do I have a fancy whiz-bang electronic key-thingy for my truck. I only have this issue when carrying the one weapon.

I'm now *very* curious about the Lasergrips. I'm off tomorrow and am going t experiment. I'm going to turn them off, and, physically remove them. (Note to DaveT... If it *is* the Lasergrips, mine trigger the detectors whether switched on or off. Mine are always off during daylight hours and this is when this has been happening)

One last thing I failed to mention, and I really don't know if this could be related or not, but, I load this particular gun with Glaser Safety Slugs. Not sure if something in this particular round could be responsible, but I'll *definately* be testing tomorrow with *different* ammo in this gun as well.

Thanks again for all the feedback. "Keep those cards and letters coming".

I'll let you know if tomorrow's experiments reveal anything.

Peace.
    Regards,

Mike

Beretta 92FS Brigadier Inox / Glock 23 RTF

Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post
    One last thing I failed to mention, and I really don't know if this could be related or not, but, I load this particular gun with Glaser Safety Slugs. Not sure if something in this particular round could be responsible, but I'll *definately* be testing tomorrow with *different* ammo in this gun as well.
    Maybe it's the new tracing capability of cartridges! Here's a test for you: Maybe you can fire one of those slugs past the detector and see if that sets off the alarm (Disclaimer: just kidding, of course!)
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JonInNY View Post
    Maybe it's the new tracing capability of cartridges! Here's a test for you: Maybe you can fire one of those slugs past the detector and see if that sets off the alarm (Disclaimer: just kidding, of course!)
    LOL! I like your thinking!
    Regards,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by rico68 View Post
    Doesn't every pistol have a coil, i.e. recoil spring??
    Yes, but some coils tend to react to the sensor while others do not. I have several guns I use for defensive carry but my Sig P239 and my M&P .40 are frequently setting off the alarm.
    Remember as a rule of thumb in defensive carry...your intention is always to STOP....not to hurt, however; in a gun fight, its either me or them.....and Im sure as hell that it will NOT be me.
    -joey rh

I just had this happen to me at Krogers the other day. DIdn't occur to me that it might be my weapon. I too have the 'enhanced' passport drivers license. I keep it in the paper holder that is supposed to prevent unauthorized scanning by nearby receivers. Most odd. I did get strange looks also at the Best Buy yesterday, had all of the security people keeping a strict eye on me. I smiled and went through checkout and left the store without incident.

Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post
    Greetings all,

I'm curious about something. Have any of you encountered a situation where your CC weapon false-triggers the inventory-control systems at the entry and exit doors of various retail chains?

This happens to me constantly, especially at Wal-Mart and Kroger. The darn things beep loudly when I walk in and loudly when I walk out and people are always calling after me wanting to me to come back and have my merchandise "deactivated". (even when I have no merchandise!). I thought these "RFID" inventory-control systems only react to RFID tags that haven't been deactivated.

I began to think they were actually metal detectors, but that makes no sense since you can wheel metal shopping carts in and out all day long withhout them sounding an alarm.

This doesn't happen with my Glock, but happens so often with my INOX Beretta that I just *had* to ask if this is happening to anyone else. There's no RFID tag on or in my weapon, nor (to my knowledge) is it radioactive. It has Lasergrips on it but that's all.

All feedback is appreciated. Thanks all.
    I had that happen to me and it ended up being the RFID tag that was sewn in on my Mechanics gloves. You might look everything over that you wear like your holster, gloves, jacket or boots. A "good buddy" may have planted one on you too so check everything. I have been known to do this

Quote Originally Posted by Aztec23 View Post
    I had that happen to me and it ended up being the RFID tag that was sewn in on my Mechanics gloves. You might look everything over that you wear like your holster, gloves, jacket or boots. A "good buddy" may have planted one on you too so check everything. I have been known to do this
    I bought a mail order holster from a place that also has retail stores. The holster had a RFID tag inside it. So always check everything.

It looks like we got us a mystery here.

My money's on the laser grips.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Has anyone ever taken apart one of the RFID tags to have a look at what makes them tick?
    Either you are a weapon and your gun is a tool or your gun is a weapon and you are the tool.
    ----- FMD

VIP Member
    I've been told by a couple people that cell phones can set these things off also, not sure if that's accurate though.

Quote Originally Posted by liljake82 View Post
    Has anyone ever taken apart one of the RFID tags to have a look at what makes them tick?
    Curiously enough, I just found an RFID blog RFID Journal; RFID Blog, Discussion, Forum and also several articles on how to make homemade RFID scanners/tag-detectors

So.... if it's *not* the Lasergrips, I really need to find out exactly what's triggering these things. Research continues...... ;-)
    Regards,

Mike

I sent that e-mail to Crimson Trace, referenced this thread and asked if their engineers had an opinion.

I'll report back with their answer.

RPB
    I just looked here, but don't see any RFID blocking holsters ...... yet

Identity Stronghold - Seller and Manufacturer of RFID Blocking Sleeves and Badge Holders

(I have no affiliation with any company at all, except those I pay utilitiy bills to monthly)

VIP Member
    Just to be devil's advocate. I have been in four different Walmarts in the past three weeks with my CZ which has Crimson Trace grips. Mine are never turned off. No alarms. Since putting the CTs on I have been in places of business from Birmingham to Mobile and from Montgomery to Jackson, MS without setting off an alarm. I have set off an alarm in that time, but the RFID device in one of 6 DVDs was not deactivated.

If the CTs set off an alarm I would guess that it would be one set that generates a particular frequency.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links