Does your CCW false-trigger inventory-control systems?

This is a discussion on Does your CCW false-trigger inventory-control systems? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings all, I'm curious about something. Have any of you encountered a situation where your CC weapon false-triggers the inventory-control systems at the entry and ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does your CCW false-trigger inventory-control systems?

Does your CCW false-trigger inventory-control systems?

Greetings all,

I'm curious about something. Have any of you encountered a situation where your CC weapon false-triggers the inventory-control systems at the entry and exit doors of various retail chains?

This happens to me constantly, especially at Wal-Mart and Kroger. The darn things beep loudly when I walk in and loudly when I walk out and people are always calling after me wanting to me to come back and have my merchandise "deactivated". (even when I have no merchandise!). I thought these "RFID" inventory-control systems only react to RFID tags that haven't been deactivated.

I began to think they were actually metal detectors, but that makes no sense since you can wheel metal shopping carts in and out all day long withhout them sounding an alarm.

This doesn't happen with my Glock, but happens so often with my INOX Beretta that I just *had* to ask if this is happening to anyone else. There's no RFID tag on or in my weapon, nor (to my knowledge) is it radioactive. It has Lasergrips on it but that's all.

All feedback is appreciated. Thanks all.
    Regards,

Mike

Beretta 92FS Brigadier Inox / Glock 23 RTF

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Nope. Never had that happen. It SHOULDN'T happen. Any common denominator in the instances BESIDES your gear? Perhaps a jacket that had a RFID tage left behind unnoticed?
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Yea, I'd look for wayward RFID tags on your clothes, wallet, shoes, ect. Those things are NOT supposed to respond to anything but the activated tag.

Administrator
    Did you buy your Beretta from a retailer? If so, Do they use a RFID system?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Did you buy your Beretta from a retailer? If so, Do they use a RFID system?
    Or your holster, mag holder, etc.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Never had anything like that happen, and I don't think it should.
    Proud NRA & MCRGO Member

"The handgun would not be my choice of weapon if I knew I was going to a fight....I'd choose a rifle, a shotgun, an RPG or an atomic bomb instead."

VIP Member
    Check inside the magazine well and behind the grips
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

I would also check you wallet, perhaps you have a credit card or one of the new Mega drivers licenses that allow Big Brother to track you where ever you go. Of course if it were the DL or your pistol permit, it would seem you would always trigger no matter which gun you had on you.

False Trigger RFID

Must be those bullets with the serial numbers on them!
    Weapons list suppressed...........

If you have a good sense of humor, (that was the qualifier) then you have to admit... It's pretty damn funny. That was an old prank back in the day when some of us worked retail. We would stick an activated tag in a friends pocket before we all went out. How the heck do you explain to the manager at your local Walmart what is making the sensor go off?!?! I guess you just wait for the local LEO.

With that said, other then wiping you gun over the deactivation device at a store (imagine video of someone trying to do that while getting cashed out and keeping it concealed) I have to imagine it's another piece of gear your carrying. I have never heard of any retailers using it on the firearms themselves but in a big store I guess it makes sense.

I do remember being told that magnets can deactivate them though and having to watch for that while working in a big chain store during a Christmas season. Not sure if it still works.

I hope you can get it worked out, Then you'll have a good one to tell the other guys over a beer!

Speedo's

If you bought an expensive pair of Speedo underware, check that out. No I never bought a pair.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Here's a thought: quit shoplifting!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. No, I've never had it happen either.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I started a thread in the Elsie Pea forum on this very subject. Come to find out it was a very well hidden tag in my billfold. I went back to the store (Rite Aid) to test it with the cashieer. Bingo!

The odd part is that I never tripped a Wal-Mart or any other alarm with it. Only Rite Aid.

I would go to a store where it's happened, and dress as light as possible... old t-shirt, shorts, flip flops.

Go in and out, see if it triggers.

Then add one thing at a time and try and trigger it.

Add wallet, trigger?
    Add gun, trigger?
    Add holster, trigger?

Do this while being UNLOADED since you won't have your gun in holster for the test... or at least, I wouldn't have it in there.

Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post
    Greetings all,

I'm curious about something. Have any of you encountered a situation where your CC weapon false-triggers the inventory-control systems at the entry and exit doors of various retail chains?

This happens to me constantly, especially at Wal-Mart and Kroger. The darn things beep loudly when I walk in and loudly when I walk out and people are always calling after me wanting to me to come back and have my merchandise "deactivated". (even when I have no merchandise!). I thought these "RFID" inventory-control systems only react to RFID tags that haven't been deactivated.

I began to think they were actually metal detectors, but that makes no sense since you can wheel metal shopping carts in and out all day long withhout them sounding an alarm.

This doesn't happen with my Glock, but happens so often with my INOX Beretta that I just *had* to ask if this is happening to anyone else. There's no RFID tag on or in my weapon, nor (to my knowledge) is it radioactive. It has Lasergrips on it but that's all.

All feedback is appreciated. Thanks all.

What makes you think it's your CCW?
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links