CC ... college graduation...at a Civic Center?

This is a discussion on CC ... college graduation...at a Civic Center? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Usually schools are no-no... but what about a school ceremony at a civic center? I'll be reading my Florida Firearms book on the way in ...

Thread: CC ... college graduation...at a Civic Center?

CC ... college graduation...at a Civic Center?

Usually schools are no-no... but what about a school ceremony at a civic center? I'll be reading my Florida Firearms book on the way in the car there (it's an hour drive and I'm not driving) but I was curious offhand. I'm not sure if the civic center is technically government property how CC works...

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    (12) No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05; any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom; any polling place; any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any career center; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile; inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. Any person who willfully violates any provision of this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
    Thats the statute section on where you cannot.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

VIP Member
    Well, that sure took care of that.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Not so fast there.

I’ve been told by two deputy’s (at different times) and one state officer, that since it’s a (prom, graduation, dance) and it is taking place off campus, like at a hotel’s banquet hall, or civic center, not a school building, and it is optional for the kids to attend, then it is not an official school function on school grounds, therefore it is legal for a CCL holder to carry.

The questions have come up because I volunteer from time to time, to help with security at some of these events.

But then again, I’m not an attorney, and I would recommend you getting your attorney’s advice prior to doing such.
    Last edited by tns0038; December 15th, 2009 at 10:15 AM. Reason: spelling

Links