Let the wait begin

Let the wait begin

This is a discussion on Let the wait begin within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I dropped my ccw application in the mail this morning. Now just gotta wait to get it. My buddy got his Utah ccw permit in ...

Let the wait begin

I dropped my ccw application in the mail this morning. Now just gotta wait to get it. My buddy got his Utah ccw permit in a little less than 60 days so I'm not expecting it any sooner than that but will be stoked if it comes sooner. I've been OCing for a few weeks now but I can't carry loaded in Utah without a permit so I pretty much have "an expensive hammer" at 3 o'clock. Anyway I'm pretty excited so I thought I'd post haha.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quincy07 View Post
    I dropped my ccw application in the mail this morning. Now just gotta wait to get it. My buddy got his Utah ccw permit in a little less than 60 days so I'm not expecting it any sooner than that but will be stoked if it comes sooner. I've been OCing for a few weeks now but I can't carry loaded in Utah without a permit so I pretty much have "an expensive hammer" at 3 o'clock. Anyway I'm pretty excited so I thought I'd post haha.
    What? You can 'open carry' but it can't be loaded? Here I thought Utah was ahead of most other States in the common sense department. 'CTR'.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Congrats quincy07!

Utah will let you open carry loaded and ready IF you have a permit. Other wise it has to have "no round in the firing position, and the firearm is at least two "mechanical actions" from firing"...basically unloaded.
    So, it a little weird and almost like CA where you can OC an unloaded weapon.
    Yep, I'm a member also :-)
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

my instructor told us during the utah class that you could only be loaded and ready if you were CC, if you decided to OC even if you had the utah CCL you had to have 2 mechanical actions to fire... auto full mag empty tube, revolver 2 empty in the cylinder.
    any instructors out there that could clarify? can you OC legally loaded with A CCL in utah? also would it have to be a Utah CCL or any state they accept?

Just curious myself. Could you carry with a thumb-safety "on" and no round chambered? Would releasing the safety and chambering a round be considered 2 mechanical actions?
    Ruger MkII, Kel Tek P3AT, Hi Point JH45, SA XDm9, SA XD9sc, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded, SA 1911 MilSpec Loaded Micro
    Life is fragile and is what we make it. Keep dear to your heart that of your loved ones and fellow man and by God don't try to take it from me or my loved one's.

That is crazy! I could not imagine having to put up with stuff like that.
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

Quote Originally Posted by mamakennedy View Post

Utah will let you open carry loaded and ready IF you have a permit. Other wise it has to have "no round in the firing position, and the firearm is at least two "mechanical actions" from firing"...basically unloaded.
    So, it a little weird and almost like CA where you can OC an unloaded weapon.
    Yep, I'm a member also :-)
    That's right. Kinda stupid I think but maybe the politicians think that the BG will see the firearm and leave you alone

Instructor said as long as you had the permit you could carry loaded with OC

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    OCing with an unloaded gun is a good way to get shot.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Links