Fred Meyer official statement - Page 2

Fred Meyer official statement

This is a discussion on Fred Meyer official statement within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Quite a few years ago Fred Meyers was bought out by Kroger. The only place I know of around here that has a sign is ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quite a few years ago Fred Meyers was bought out by Kroger. The only place I know of around here that has a sign is Keith's Gun Shop and Fisherman's Marine and outdoor stores. Their sign,s state no loaded handguns or rifles permitted.

Isn't Fred Meyers owned by Krogers Inc., I think so. So this policy should be the same for Krogers.

fknipfer1

Great store, I shop there every week. As a matter of fact, the other week I was able to purchase 50 round boxes of 9mm range ammo for only $10.99 per box. That's a fantastic price in my neck of the woods. I love Meijer's.

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    Melinda Merrill seems to have some pre-conceived opinions (prejudice) about mothers being 'particularly upset' by firearms.
    My guess is Melinda recently heard an earful from a mom who feared guns and freedom.

VIP Member
    Politically correct in the positive. It seems rare that any store chain would state anything like that in writing.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member
    Nice to see a letter like this one.

I don't see carrying concealed in public areas as a "compromise" or "surrender". I see it as a simple courtesy to the possible sensitivities of others.

Also to claim it is a "prejudice" to believe that others may not feel safe with visible weapons on civilians is to fly in the face of common sense. Not everybody is as comfortable around handguns as we are, and you shouldn't need some stupid poll or academic study to back that up.

It may interest some, but I can remember when a lot of metropolitan police did not carry their revolver in plain sight but under their jacket/coat. I don't agree with the practice and I am glad to see it no longer prevails, but it was due to the fact that even then people were uneasy around visible weapons.

In some communities OC would go completely unnoticed and in some communities it would be unsettling to a lot of people. I just choose to extend some courtesy to others by keeping my revolver concealed. Tennessee, btw, is an Open Carry state.

You wear your gun how you want, but I strongly suspect that if you try to force your method of carry on others you are more interested in projecting an image than in defending yourself.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

I think this letter shows a real desire to cooperate. I don't concur that concern for other peoples' possible feelings is "prejudice' but instead, common courtesy. I personnally CCW in an OCC state (Tennessee) for many reasons, but one is to keep a social acceptance level with my neighbors. I do not feel that CC is a "compromise of 2dA rights" or a "surrender to Sarah Brady." I don't carry to make a political statement or because I feel a need to show a "manly image." I carry for self defense and CCW is more than efficient for that purpose. It also allows me to be the normal "non-threatening old guy" that my neighbors feel comfortable with.

If I lived in one of the more open minded western states, I would gladly OC, as it would be socially acceptable in those areas. Here, I would just scare the living h*** out of folks.

The store's policy is acceptable to me. without looking into the drafter's personal beliefs.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by fknipfer1 View Post
    Isn't Fred Meyers owned by Krogers Inc., I think so. So this policy should be the same for Krogers.

fknipfer1
    Yep, Krogers owns Fred Meyers, Dillons, Food for Less, Fry's Food & Drug, King Sooper, just to name a few. They pretty much have something in about every state. So far they have been CCW friendly in all of the ones I have been too.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    +1! I guess we'd have to call a "time out" to make it fair.
    Reminds me of the Robin William movie, Survivors. He brings the wrong ammo to the gun fight and yells, "Time out".

As a mother think I may go find a Fred Myers to go shopping with my kids and for the heck of it OC and CC.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mamakennedy View Post
    As a mother think I may go find a Fred Myers to go shopping with my kids and for the heck of it OC and CC.
    That's the spirit!

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I am totally fine with this policy. We have Fry's here rather than Fred Meyer's, though I remember them from when I lived in OR. They were great, and I am totally fine with this policy. I don't see a lot of OC in the local Fry's, though not too many OC here anyway. Me? Concealed is the way to go.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TedBeau View Post
    Reminds me of the Robin William movie, Survivors. He brings the wrong ammo to the gun fight and yells, "Time out".
    Ha, Ha,

I did that once. My face was really red from being so dumb, but it happens.

I put .380 in a 9mm at the range.

I thought, what the heck is going on here, I just cleaned this pistol.

The range guy who is also a LEO said, want to swap? I said sure and went back in my booth to shoot with 9mm Federal FMJ.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Let's hear it for a corporation that gets it.

Just FYI Fred Meyer is owned by Kroeger's.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links