Fred Meyer official statement

This is a discussion on Fred Meyer official statement within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by wjh2657 Also to claim it is a "prejudice" to believe that others may not feel safe with visible weapons on civilians is ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fred Meyer official statement

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    Also to claim it is a "prejudice" to believe that others may not feel safe with visible weapons on civilians is to fly in the face of common sense. Not everybody is as comfortable around handguns as we are, and you shouldn't need some stupid poll or academic study to back that up.
    I think you missed the point I was trying to make (which was not too serious, BTW).

My point was that the Fred Meyer's lady went out of her way to make a show of "not discriminating" based on any demographic group (including gender), and in her very next breath went on to mention that she feels "mothers with children" might be "particularly upset" at the sight of a gun.

In other words, she has the preconceived idea that "mothers" are likely to be upset by guns. She has formed an opinion about all members of that certain demographic group, even though she obviously does not personally know all of them. That is the very definition of prejudice. I'll quote the vast internets for you:

A prejudice is a preconceived belief, opinion, or judgment toward a group of people or a single person because of race, social class, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age, disability, political beliefs , religion, line of work or other personal characteristics.
    It tickles my funny bone to see a hypocrite in action. I work in a very politically correct environment, so I catch myself laughing, daily.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    I agree that there is a note of pandering in her message, due probably to the fact that my original email didn't place me on either side of the tape.

I wanted as unbiased an opinion as I could get, without it being tailored to my view, so i didn't mention that I carried, only that I was curious what their policies were.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links