Fred Meyer official statement

This is a discussion on Fred Meyer official statement within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Several months ago, I sent an email to the Fred Meyer Corp, requesting their policy on carry in Fred Meyer stores. Here is the reply ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fred Meyer official statement

Distinguished Member

Several months ago, I sent an email to the Fred Meyer Corp, requesting their policy on carry in Fred Meyer stores.

Here is the reply from the Director of Public Affairs.

Dear Mr. XXXXXXX:

Thank you for your email.

Our policy on guns in our stores is simply to comply with the law.

We recognize and respect the right to carry a weapon and we are aware that not everyone who has a weapon has a concealed weapon permit. However, we serve all varieties of Customers in our stores – we do not discriminate based on anything – not gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or opinion. So, as I’m sure you are aware, there may be times when an unconcealed weapon is upsetting, particularly to some mothers who are shopping with their children. If you have a concealed weapon permit, we would appreciate it if you would conceal your weapon in our stores, but we recognize that you do not have to by law.

Best regards,

Melinda Merrill

Director, Public Affairs
    So it seems their policy is about equal to that of Wal-Mart, etc.
    Last edited by Xader; December 15th, 2009 at 01:52 AM.

Very well written letter They"ll get my business if I'm ever someplace that has a Fred Meyer store

Although we here in Oregon can carry openly, it is best to keep them concealed when shopping. Open carry regulations vary city to city. For instance, in Salem there are no real restrictions but most shop owners rather you conceal it. In Portland, you can carry concealed but the firearm must be unloaded.

BTW Fred Meyer's is a great place to shop.
    Stay Safe,
    Kevin

CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    ACCJT Certified LEO DT Instructor
    NRA Instructor

That is an outstanding policy and letter. I'll have to frequent Fred Meyer more often.

Let's hear it for a corporation that gets it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Well done Fred Meyer Corp!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinInstructor View Post
    Although we here in Oregon can carry openly, it is best to keep them concealed when shopping. Open carry regulations vary city to city. For instance, in Salem there are no real restrictions but most shop owners rather you conceal it. In Portland, you can carry concealed but the firearm must be unloaded.

Then whats the use of carrying if it has to be unloaded?

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    archer51....I was thinking the same thing....why would I tote if not loaded. Just a way to get yourself shot.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Good answer.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    +1! I guess we'd have to call a "time out" to make it fair.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Loaded concealed carry is legal in Portland, with CHL. Unless I am seriously mistaken, open carry (yes, loaded open carry) is also legal in Portland, with a CHL.

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Off topic:

Am I the only person who sees irony in the fact that Fred Meyer's takes great care to demonstrate that they do not discriminate for any reason (including gender) and then goes on to suggest that an unconcealed weapon might be particularly upsetting to "mothers shopping with their children"?

Melinda Merrill seems to have some pre-conceived opinions (prejudice) about mothers being 'particularly upset' by firearms. Or, perhaps the topic came up in the preceding e-mail, of which we are unaware?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinInstructor View Post

Cite please. This is 100% contrary to Oregon law, which provides that local jurisdictions can't restrict carry with a CHL more than state law -- i.e., state pre-emption. If you're going to instruct, you have a responsibility to get the information correct.

Yes, I'm licensed to carry in Oregon. Further, open carry is legal in Portland with a CHL, although not common and likely to get LEO attention.

CP Lincoln

VIP Member
    We do not have any Fred Meyer Corp. stores in this part of the country that I know of. I do not know Fred Meyer from Jack Schmitt but that is irrelevant.

It was proper for you to send a written letter. That is often the only way you might expect to get a response from any company most of the time.

The letter seemed to be a reasonable explanation of store policy however I would take exception to the writers statement regarding a woman becoming alarmed. It might have been more properly worded to say "Customer" rather than women.
    I know many dad's who carry specifically to protect their children, not to mention other family members including wives.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C Paul Lincoln View Post
    Cite please. This is 100% contrary to Oregon law, which provides that local jurisdictions can't restrict carry with a CHL more than state law -- i.e., state pre-emption. If you're going to instruct, you have a responsibility to get the information correct.

Yes, I'm licensed to carry in Oregon. Further, open carry is legal in Portland with a CHL, although not common and likely to get LEO attention.

CP Lincoln
    166.173 Authority of city or county to regulate possession of loaded firearms in public places.

(1) A city or county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the possession of loaded firearms in public places as defined in ORS 161.015.

(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section do not apply to or affect:
    (a) A law enforcement officer in the performance of official duty.
    (b) A member of the military in the performance of official duty.
    (c) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.
    (d) A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building or court facility under ORS 166.370. [1995 s.s. c.1 §4; 1999 c.782 §8]

The cities of Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Oregon City, Salem, and Independence have exercised this right, making it illegal to carry any loaded firearm in public in these cities unless one meets one of the exceptions above, one of which is an Oregon CHL

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    We do not have any Fred Meyer Corp. stores in this part of the country that I know of. I do not know Fred Meyer from Jack Schmitt but that is irrelevant.
    Fred Meyer is part of the Kroger line of stores, which includes Kroger, Fred Meyer, Ralph's, King Soopers, City Market, Dillon's, Smith's, Fry's, QFC, Baker's, Owen's, JC, Hilander, Gerbes, Payless & Scott's.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links